Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2023

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun and mild breezes. Thunder, heavy showers. Stormy seas.

Rain in west of the south fizzles out as it passes toward east.....

Edited by Cosmo69
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 minute ago, MattStoke said:

Models do though often fail to show lighter precipitation further away from a front, so it's not necessarily that the front is further south than modelled but that the models might just have not picked up on the full extent of precipitation. 

That makes sense actually. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun and mild breezes. Thunder, heavy showers. Stormy seas.
3 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Models do though often fail to show lighter precipitation further away from a front, so it's not necessarily that the front is further south than modelled but that the models might just have not picked up on the full extent of precipitation. 

The lightest blue often is evaporating rain which doesnt reach ground. Any rain in  the western parts of the south is clearly fizzling out rapidly.

Blue skies appearing here.

Edited by Cosmo69
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Cosmo69 said:

The lightest blue often is evaporating rain which doesnt reach ground. Any rain in  the western parts of the south is clearly fizzling out rapidly.

Blue skies appearing here.

Yeah that too. Often happens when we have very light snowfall through very dry air so the snow evaporates/sublimates before reaching the ground. Always annoying being under a big pink radar blob and seeing nothing!

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Yeah that too. Often happens when we have very light snowfall through very dry air so the snow evaporates/sublimates before reaching the ground. Always annoying being under a big pink radar blob and seeing nothing!

I've even been under normall blue and not the light stuff and seen nothing this year and last year. You just get humidity and a couple of drops you can feel on your skin, but nothing gets wet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Anybody who wishes they had rain is welcome to some of ours. Almost constant here.

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

Anybody who wishes they had rain is welcome to some of ours. Almost constant here.

Don't get me wrong I don't want lots and lots of rain, but it would be nice to have some. I'm watering flowering plants in October, cause they look a little stressed, and I'm talking heather, but as other stuff is still in flower, like my lavinder, fusia, some of the wild flowers, perhaps they are autumn flowering ones anyway, I've been watering those too. Should not have to do that in October lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Lovely out there, lots of sunshine. 

IMG_6520.thumb.jpeg.baa9fb8820f0db258764240d63b70188.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too wet.

Grim up North! A very dull day here, with rain passing through. I get the feeling this warm bright spell will slowly get downgraded as we approach the weekend. Actually, it definitely will, I've made several outdoor plans this weekend 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, tricol said:

Grim up North! A very dull day here, with rain passing through. I get the feeling this warm bright spell will slowly get downgraded as we approach the weekend. Actually, it definitely will, I've made several outdoor plans this weekend 😂

We'll see I guess, so far the other models are holding firm. Let's see what the 12z shows.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.

Struggling with sunshine somewhat this week and particularly today.

Tuesday and Wednesday were bright, but not really sunny, and today is overcast.

Not the hoped-for clean evolution of the warm spell, it's always a little bit of a concern when it clags up in advance of a warm spell this time of year and moisture-laden SW-lies spill in, as on more than one occasion the sun has failed to make much of an appearance as a result. 2017 (pre-Ophelia) and 2021 spring to mind as cloudy warm spells, though the forecasts still seem confident the sun will appear this weekend.

It's now been some years though since we had a significant sunny spell after the autumn equinox. I believe 2018 was the last.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
14 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Autumn increasingly feels our shortest season. Summer extending long into Sept and then taking an age for true autumn to arrive. By November it feels like winter. Last 2 weeks of Oct only seem to have the deep autumn feel. I think christmas starting earlier and earlier in Nov kills it dead fast unfortunately, though Nov is fast becoming the month for autumn colour due to the late start.

Expect autumnwatch to talk about how late it is this year and wildlife and nature confused. 

Mind its been a confusing 4 months all round, July felt more autumnal than Sept. 

The "good" aspects of autumn do seem to be very transitional nowadays. As recent as the early 90s the leaves normally turned strongly in October, IIRC, whereas now we have to wait until the very end of the month and then 3 weeks later they've all dropped off.

On the other hand the "bad" aspects (dull and damp Atlantic-dominated weather) often seem to last from July to January!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

No rain here, the Pennine rain shadow in effect today. Still dull though. 

1E65108F-2E41-4A4D-983C-C61D5FD58EEB.thumb.jpeg.7660992cb5e3835f76969c059c845f1d.jpeg

Edited by cheese

Posted

Great! Now the whole weekend is downgraded from sunny to overcast, reminds me of when we were promised sunshine in March, but we didnt get any. Whats next, they will introduce rain into the forecast

Edited by baddie
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
2 hours ago, danm said:

Lovely sunny 20C here too. Looking good next few days.

BBC Forecast to wednesday:

20, 22, 21, 23, 23, 22C and sunny (coastal here, warmer in London area)

Edited by Cosmo69

Posted
1 hour ago, baddie said:

Great! Now the whole weekend is downgraded from sunny to overcast, reminds me of when we were promised sunshine in March, but we didnt get any. Whats next, they will introduce rain into the forecast

BBC has it looking quite sunny and low twenties for Nottingham.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

It does feel like it’s been particularly dull recently, and the lack of sun means the ground never really dries out even if it’s not raining.

I really want to move to France these days. Absolutely hate living in this country sometimes. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

The northern blocking has disappeared from the winter forecasts too, so all signs pointing towards winter being one long wet mess. They say "mild" but at that time of year that's just a different kind of cold.

• Thanks 1

Posted
41 minutes ago, Cosmo69 said:

BBC has it looking quite sunny and low twenties for Nottingham.

BBC is wrong half the time. They forecasted 5 unbroken sunny days between 16th-20th August, and only one recorded wall-to-wall sunshine (16th). The others were partly cloudy or overcast

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, danm said:

Cloud thick cloud here ... You really are the place to be!

2 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

Not the hoped-for clean evolution of the warm spell, it's always a little bit of a concern when it clags up in advance of a warm spell this time of year and moisture-laden SW-lies spill in, as on more than one occasion the sun has failed to make much of an appearance as a result. 2017 (pre-Ophelia) and 2021 spring to mind as cloudy warm spells, though the forecasts still seem confident the sun will appear this weekend.

It's now been some years though since we had a significant sunny spell after the autumn equinox. I believe 2018 was the last.

Yea mate we're screwed!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
50 minutes ago, Cosmo69 said:

Lovely sunny 20C here too. Looking good next few days.

BBC Forecast to wednesday:

20, 22, 21, 23, 23, 22C and sunny (coastal here, warmer in London area)

Yep not record breaking, but looking beautiful...

Screenshot2023-10-05at14_10_58.thumb.png.3eae3000df55d171b8e2f48c725bb590.png

• Like 1

Posted
34 minutes ago, BremX said:

I was simply hoping this potential warmth was going to dry my lawn out so I can cut the damn jungle! Looks like it's not going to happen 😕 

I have a similar problem!! Looks like the cut won't come until next year!

Posted
2 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

Last October managed to record 68 hours between the 8th and 18th