Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Autumn 2023

Posted
2 hours ago, cheese said:

Yeah, many counties have big variations in rainfall due to size and topography. In North Yorkshire, Malham in the Pennines has an average of 1587mm, while Church Fenton between Leeds and York has 603mm. 

In Devon, Plymouth gets 1037mm. As far as I can tell it’s the wettest town or city in England with over 150,000 people.

I think Ambleside followed by Windermere are the two wettest towns in England overall.

October can in many a year end up the wettest month of the year. More typically the honour goes to December closely followed by November. We are soon to enter the very wet season here, lasting late Oct to early Feb.  Oh joy!

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, mild/warm summers and varied shoulder seasons

Wondering what folks here thought of September. I would give it a 7.5/10 overall. Was away for a week so am going by 2nd hand accounts a little but first half was lovely with warmth and sunshine and 2nd half was very mixed with a mix of showery days, sunny days and heavy rain but it never felt oppressively wet or gloomy for me as a whole, a decent and enjoyable Sept overall. It felt like a sunnier version of this years August. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 minutes ago, Catbrainz said:

Wondering what folks here thought of September. I would give it a 7.5/10 overall. Was away for a week so am going by 2nd hand accounts a little but first half was lovely with warmth and sunshine and 2nd half was very mixed with a mix of showery days, sunny days and heavy rain but it never felt oppressively wet or gloomy for me as a whole, a decent and enjoyable Sept overall. It felt like a sunnier version of this years August. 

I thought it was weird, would rate it high too, probably 7 I think. 

• Like 1

Posted

The met office & bbc forecasts at present for Leeds tomorrow are like chalk & cheese. How could they be so different with 24hrs to go? Hope the bbc one comes off.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
29 minutes ago, marky810 said:

The met office & bbc forecasts at present for Leeds tomorrow are like chalk & cheese. How could they be so different with 24hrs to go? Hope the bbc one comes off.

BBC - sunny and 21C

Met Office - cloudy and 20C

Temperatures not too different, seems like the main difference will be whether it's sunny or not. Guess we'll see!

Edited by cheese

Posted
6 minutes ago, cheese said:

BBC - sunny and 21C

Met Office - cloudy and 20C

Temperatures not too different, seems like the main difference will be whether it's sunny or not. Guess we'll see!

Very often when Met Office shows cloudy it equates to high cloud with hazy sunshine.

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

Very often when Met Office shows cloudy it equates to high cloud with hazy sunshine.

I was thinking that myself.

Posted

Two sides of Autumn coming up over the next 10 days or so, it seems.

I'll enjoy this weekend and into first part of next week, but afters.......👎🙄

Edited by Bristle Si
  • Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

While the drop is coming next week the deeper cold that was being progged is thankfully being modified and even this mornings gfs is a something of an outlier. 

• Like 2

Posted

Met showing rain in Glasgow from 2pm today until 4pm Sunday, wtf. A serious rainfall event is about to unfold in parts of Scotland.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted

Its looking like the front that has been stuck over us for days is going to move north and pep up.

A really dreadful start to October here, just overcast and warm with constant light rain or drizzle. We've had just 9 hours of sunshine in 5 days and now it's not even looking like the weekend will be sunny either.

The far south will be warm and sunny so that will get the headlines.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

A lot of cloud this morning but looks to be slowly breaking up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Looks like something more akin to October will be arriving after next Wednesday, so the warm spell is shortlived thankfully.

We are afterall well into autumn now. Summer has had its chance, but it doesn't belong in October.

Roll on the cool crisp sunny days, as well as a storm or two. 👍

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
1 hour ago, Bristle Si said:

We are in October now. Turning autumnal at some point is inevitable. 

• Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Doesn’t mean you have to like it though. Maybe if we had a continental climate with sunny autumns and vivid colours it would be more enjoyable though (as opposed to the grey, damp and miserable autumns we actually experience).

November is my least favourite month of the year for that reason - usually too early for snow, certainly too late for summer warmth, just drizzly grey rubbish. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 5

Posted
17 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

No sh#t sherlock🙄

12 minutes ago, cheese said:

Doesn’t mean you have to like it though. Maybe if we had a continental climate with sunny autumns and vivid colours it would be more enjoyable though (as opposed to the grey, damp and miserable autumns we actually experience).

November is my least favourite month of the year for that reason - usually too early for snow, certainly too late for summer warmth, just drizzly grey rubbish. 

Nail

Head

👍

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Beautiful, sunny autumn day here, after a chilly (9°C) start, it should reach 19°C today. Next 7-10 days look very pleasant, maximum temperatures between 15-22°C and overnight lows of 5-12°C. 

Could contain:

Could contain:

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, stainesbloke said:

Beautiful, sunny autumn day here, after a chilly (9°C) start, it should reach 19°C today. Next 7-10 days look very pleasant, maximum temperatures between 15-22°C and overnight lows of 5-12°C. 

Could contain:

Could contain:

Overcast all day for me

Posted
42 minutes ago, cheese said:

My top 3 hated months of the year: 1)December, 2) November, 3) October.  Dark, awful, unpleasant months I would gladly get rid of.

1 hour ago, reef said:

Its looking like the front that has been stuck over us for days is going to move north and pep up.

A really dreadful start to October here, just overcast and warm with constant light rain or drizzle. We've had just 9 hours of sunshine in 5 days and now it's not even looking like the weekend will be sunny either.

The far south will be warm and sunny so that will get the headlines.

Will it though? Looks hazy and breezy at the moment....

Posted
9 hours ago, Catbrainz said:

Compared to July it was a definite 9. On its own a 7.5-8 (at least in London).

• Like 1