Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2023

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
2 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

Surprised as I'd have guessed Edmonton would have warm or hot Augusts due to its extremely continental location. But perhaps the northerliness means the heat is concentrated earlier in the summer?

Don't live there but I suspect your correct. The Polar Vortex is net westerly from August-May and Alberta no doubt feels that quickly. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
8 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Just come and spend a winter in the Czech Republic. Multiple snow falls and ice days, and only 1.5 hours by air ✈️ 

I bet the Christmas markets are good? They usually are on the continent. So nice to spend time in them especially with someone you love and have something nice to eat with mulled wine or hot chocolate 🙂

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
5 hours ago, Dark Horse said:

I bet the Christmas markets are good? They usually are on the continent. So nice to spend time in them especially with someone you love and have something nice to eat with mulled wine or hot chocolate 🙂

They are fun, every town has them. The best ones are away from the most touristy spots and sell some nice handmade ornaments, etc. The mulled wine is cheap, I love the hot eggnog 🤪

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
13 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Why?

Claustrophobic, can't even use a lift!

Posted
3 minutes ago, markyo said:

Claustrophobic, can't even use a lift!

That would explain it. Shame a nice holiday in Iceland would suit you perfectly!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
50 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

That would explain it. Shame a nice holiday in Iceland would suit you perfectly!

I'll get the boat.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!
7 minutes ago, Seasonal Trim said:

@Gavin P's Winter look ahead for those interested.

I don't see how this really relates to Autumn?

Autumn seems a long way off but it may come round quick and the weather recently has done little to keep Autumn devoid out of my mind.

What are everyone's Autumn preferences? It's such a varied season with a huge mix of possibilities. 

I do enjoy some decent settled September weather. It's often quite a common thing these days and it tends not to be too hot either during settled spells in September (by nature, though with some exceptions). Makes it comfortable and good for doing stuff outdoors. 

By October I'm half willing some decent Autumnal weather to arrive though. Mists, dew on grass in morning, unsettled windy spells etc. of course these aren't pleasant to be outside in but by this time the nights are drawing in and it's nice to be cosy at home when it's wet and cold outside! On more rare occasions I've seem some much cooler weather by October with some sharp frosts and temperatures overnight below freezing. 

October can of course still produce some very pleasant settled, almost Summer like weather but when this happens I sometimes feel it doesn't seem 'right'.

Novembers are then often grim and wet with gales. Some Novembers have seen some very mild temperatures recently but by the very end of the month I'm half wishing for something wintry to take us into December, albeit that's also a rarity.

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, StretfordEnd1996 said:

It doesn't. But, as there is no Winter thread, and it would throw this forum into meltdown if one was to create a Winter thread in July, I'd say posting it in the Autumn thread would be fine to most posters.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!
2 minutes ago, Seasonal Trim said:

It doesn't. But, as there is no Winter thread, and it would throw this forum into meltdown if one was to create a Winter thread in July, I'd say posting it in the Autumn thread would be fine to most posters.

I suppose in a way isn't Autumn a season that lasts from September to February anyway these days 🤣 it seems that way anyway ..

I've always had an odd belief that sometimes it feels meteorological seasons should be shifted forward by one month, Autumn is a good example - September often boasts summer type weather as summer does it's best to cling on and Autumnal weather still seems far away - whereby going well into December it often feels very Autumnal with wet, cool (but not cold) windy weather.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
On 15/07/2023 at 08:46, Summer8906 said:

Surprised as I'd have guessed Edmonton would have warm or hot Augusts due to its extremely continental location. But perhaps the northerliness means the heat is concentrated earlier in the summer?

August can be warm or hot..but the weather does tend to cool off from mid August in general.. also that is when you start to notice the leaves are on the turn ..grass stops growing and the general die off in vegetation begins.

Edited by cheeky_monkey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
4 hours ago, StretfordEnd1996 said:

I suppose in a way isn't Autumn a season that lasts from September to February anyway these days 🤣 it seems that way anyway ..

I've always had an odd belief that sometimes it feels meteorological seasons should be shifted forward by one month, Autumn is a good example - September often boasts summer type weather as summer does it's best to cling on and Autumnal weather still seems far away - whereby going well into December it often feels very Autumnal with wet, cool (but not cold) windy weather.

Well December last year was frigid locally down to between minus 12c ….

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

I think we've had a decent October so far, showery but quite warm.

Ooops it's July, my mistake.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.
5 hours ago, StretfordEnd1996 said:

What are everyone's Autumn preferences? It's such a varied season with a huge mix of possibilities. 

I do enjoy some decent settled September weather. It's often quite a common thing these days and it tends not to be too hot either during settled spells in September (by nature, though with some exceptions). Makes it comfortable and good for doing stuff outdoors. 

By October I'm half willing some decent Autumnal weather to arrive though. Mists, dew on grass in morning, unsettled windy spells etc. of course these aren't pleasant to be outside in but by this time the nights are drawing in and it's nice to be cosy at home when it's wet and cold outside! On more rare occasions I've seem some much cooler weather by October with some sharp frosts and temperatures overnight below freezing. 

October can of course still produce some very pleasant settled, almost Summer like weather but when this happens I sometimes feel it doesn't seem 'right'.

Novembers are then often grim and wet with gales. Some Novembers have seen some very mild temperatures recently but by the very end of the month I'm half wishing for something wintry to take us into December, albeit that's also a rarity.

I like the early part of September when it can be sunny & warm, but stepping out the front door early morning you get that 'nip' in the air, that tells you it's not summer.

Frosts before November seem to have become rare - I recall as a paperboy in the mid 80s getting frosts in late September. (1986 from memory).

Come mid October, and my food & drink choices change; out go the light ales, IPAs, etc and in come the dark ales, Stouts & Porters, plus casseroles, hot pots and fruit crumbles.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
6 hours ago, StretfordEnd1996 said:

Autumn seems a long way off but it may come round quick and the weather recently has done little to keep Autumn devoid out of my mind.

My ideal autumn would be a mixed September with a final blast of summer for a few days during the first half of the month followed by a gradual cool down as the month goes on. This would be followed by a stormy October and then a cool/cold November bringing the first frost of the season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
On 17/07/2023 at 10:30, StretfordEnd1996 said:

July has felt quite autumnal so this year, I’m hoping for sunny and warm weather to extend well into October, but with the increasing risk of mist and fog. Then an active November with lots of variety, some storms, squalls, heavy rain and the first snow, also some quieter and sunnier interludes. This continuing into December but quickly settling down to cold, sunny, frosty days. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe frost, freezing fog and summer sunshine
19 hours ago, Weatherman_93 said:

I'll take mild, damp & windy from October - March 🙂

Can't think of anything worse!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

A frostless autumn and winter would be good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
52 minutes ago, B87 said:

A frostless autumn and winter would be good.

No thanks. 

We already get enough mild and damp dull as dishwater conditions during winter as it is. The more cold crisp sunny days during winter the better. 👍

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

My ideal autumn would be a warm or hot and sunny September, leading into a sunny and warm October and early November. 2nd half of November then turning wet but staying mild.

Something like 2011, or if we are selecting months since 2010; September 2018, October 2011, November 2022.

It would be good to see a 20c avg max in October. There are a lot of 18c Octobers but none at 19c.

Edited by B87
  • Like 2