Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2023

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers
On 27/07/2023 at 21:41, Seasonal Trim said:

Is the dew point/temperature low enough to see your breath yet? 

Yes definitely has been in the evenings at about 9pm

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
On 28/07/2023 at 11:17, Stabilo19 said:

Will be interesting to see how El Nino affects this autumn/winter. Northern Hemisphere SST anomalies are generally +++ so it's perhaps hard to imagine that we'll get any colder than avg weather early in the season.. 

sst.thumb.png.c1e3124dc6b51203bfb2f43822b3ceb8.png

I'd like to see that stark warmer than average patch in the NW Atlantic stay there to be honest. Whilst it may fire the jet stream up, it also may increase the effectiveness of WAA up the west coast of Greenland and enhance Greenland HP potential...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.
8 hours ago, sundog said:

The first bit of Halloween stuff on the shelves already. 

Could contain:

It gets earlier; the kids are still on summer holidays......I remember a time when Bonfire Night was a far bigger deal......

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Just one month to go and we'll be entering the season of harvest and wonder. Golden colours and frosty fingers. Fog rolling in across the meadow and logs burning on the fire.

Summer's been a no show so far this year. Let's hope Autumn greets us with all its glory. 🎃 🍂 ❄️

• Like 6

Posted

I don't tend to think about Autumn until third week of August. However, its felt it has arrived already and tomorrow should be 1 Oct not 1 Aug. Not had this feeling at this stage in the summer for I don't know how long, such has been the poor July. 

• Like 3

Posted
11 hours ago, damianslaw said:

I don't tend to think about Autumn until third week of August. However, its felt it has arrived already and tomorrow should be 1 Oct not 1 Aug. Not had this feeling at this stage in the summer for I don't know how long, such has been the poor July. 

I recall a few bike rides from late July in 2015, and thinking it felt very autumnal - and wondering what the autumn/ winter would bring. As we know, it wasn't pleasant; wet, wet & windy.......

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

For years, my own personal calendar has had the start of autumn in early August - not so much determined by daylight-length or temperatures, as by what the plants are doing... so Feb/Mar/April are spring in my reckoning when everything wakes up, buds appear, green shoots emerge... May/Jun/Jul are summer when the flowering happens on the majority of native species.... August is the start of harvesting in hedgerow and field, on through Sept/Oct... then the growth dies back or goes dormant on the majority of native species for Nov/Dec/Jan for winter... 

It upsets my sun-worshipping friends, of course, but I stubbornly stick to it - today is distinctly autumnal! 

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, BleakMidwinter said:

For years, my own personal calendar has had the start of autumn in early August - not so much determined by daylight-length or temperatures, as by what the plants are doing... so Feb/Mar/April are spring in my reckoning when everything wakes up, buds appear, green shoots emerge... May/Jun/Jul are summer when the flowering happens on the majority of native species.... August is the start of harvesting in hedgerow and field, on through Sept/Oct... then the growth dies back or goes dormant on the majority of native species for Nov/Dec/Jan for winter... 

It upsets my sun-worshipping friends, of course, but I stubbornly stick to it - today is distinctly autumnal! 

I see where your coming from ... I half agree! And the weather in August is almost always Autumnal. I have seen some leaves starting to turn in my garden last week too. Brown edges to them. And that isn't lack of rain!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
On 01/08/2023 at 14:14, BleakMidwinter said:

For me the mental clock flips when i feel a certain weather type and that's anywhere between late August delivering a very cold feeling morning or it being somewhere in the 10-15C range and rain. All that combines with expected light levels and the like and at some point in August or September there's a thought in the brain, 'Autumn has arrived'. 

Posted

About the second week of August I have that first pang that summer is ebbing away... or at least high summer is on the way out and we are entering late summer.

It isn't until well into September proper autumnal feeling takes hold. Mid Aug to mid Sept sees a tug between late summer and early autumn hold. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

For me the second half of August autumn is already in full swing..trees have started the turn ..grass has stopped growing regardless if it is 25-30c..apples for example are already turning red right now and will be ready to drop in 2 weeks or so..in the UK Autumn can be a long drawn out affair almost up to Xmas ..here it comes and goes almost in the blink of an eye..and winter rolls on in come October.

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, damianslaw said:

About the second week of August I have that first pang that summer is ebbing away... or at least high summer is on the way out and we are entering late summer.

It isn't until well into September proper autumnal feeling takes hold. Mid Aug to mid Sept sees a tug between late summer and early autumn hold. 

Yeah I agree about mid august until mid September being that transition.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 hours ago, damianslaw said:

but your summer tends to be late Apr to mid June, the prevailing E'ly winds and clear skies

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
Posted
3 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

For me the second half of August autumn is already in full swing..trees have started the turn ..grass has stopped growing regardless if it is 25-30c..apples for example are already turning red right now and will be ready to drop in 2 weeks or so..in the UK Autumn can be a long drawn out affair almost up to Xmas ..here it comes and goes almost in the blink of an eye..and winter rolls on in come October.

I was in Calgary 20 Oct 2010 and the max was 20 degrees. That year brought little cold at all until late October. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Interesting to read the way people word their views on summer turning to autumn - clearly, some people mourn the loss of summer and wish it wasn't turning onwards into autumn... I've never been a heat-lover, and maybe that's part of why I feel pleased about the arrival of autumn - but also perhaps because for me it's a good thing? All those hedgerows to pick, the jam and jelly and pickles and syrups to make, that lovely feeling of knowing you can taste bright summer fruits and crisp young vegetables in midwinter, as you pour Hedgerow Syrup over pancakes, or slice pickled onions into a cheese sarnie... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, BleakMidwinter said:

Interesting to read the way people word their views on summer turning to autumn - clearly, some people mourn the loss of summer and wish it wasn't turning onwards into autumn... I've never been a heat-lover, and maybe that's part of why I feel pleased about the arrival of autumn - but also perhaps because for me it's a good thing? All those hedgerows to pick, the jam and jelly and pickles and syrups to make, that lovely feeling of knowing you can taste bright summer fruits and crisp young vegetables in midwinter, as you pour Hedgerow Syrup over pancakes, or slice pickled onions into a cheese sarnie... 

I'm conflicted really. I like the best of what autumn can offer, and if we've had a nice summer, then I'll welcome it. However, if we get another poor month, like July, then I'll feel slightly 'short-changed' and won't be as welcoming towards autumn - as it seems as if we've already had the start of it. 

• Like 3

Posted

Not sure all 3 months would be cold given that the region near the UK is somewhat anti-cyclonic which may indicate a low too far west pumping some warmth but 2 of the 3 would be good. 

F2xN3sQWsAEyxMG?format=jpg&name=large

Posted
2 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

Not sure all 3 months would be cold given that the region near the UK is somewhat anti-cyclonic which may indicate a low too far west pumping some warmth but 2 of the 3 would be good. 

F2xN3sQWsAEyxMG?format=jpg&name=large

An odd chart, but these are smoothed out averages, might see a month with a high overhead and another with a low.. Looks like a euro trough set up - southerly tracking jet but a bit of a west based NAO cut off low scenario as well which could pull in some warmer southerly air at times as well as cold northerly airstreams. Interesting. 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

With regards to the month to month v 3-month average at the current timeframe, this I found to be somewhat interesting from Eric Webb