Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2023

I’ve lost count how many spiders I’ve seen already. Having the window open coming in to the evening time is an invite for them, sadly people I live with never listen. @Don had a similar sizer giant in the hallway last week, any bigger and I would have burned the house down. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe frost, freezing fog and summer sunshine
On 16/08/2023 at 14:30, Turnedoutniceagain said:

That'll be heat stress not autumnal decay. Too early yet

Have the trees been holidaying in Spain? 🙂

Posted

lmao no.

The leaves have been turning here since mid July and it definitely wasn't "heat stress"

Wind up post surely?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

The only trees I've noticed "turning" are horse chestnuts which are badly affected by moth larvae. No sign of anything turning around here and it's about as leafy as you can get in the south around these parts! Would be interested to see photo evidence from those claiming otherwise.

Much greener than recent summers where nature was badly affected by the heat.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter

I'm feeling like this will be an Indian summer year! Perhaps very warm for the time of year in late September/early October, as for the last 4 years we've seen the weather suddenly drop off almost as soon as we hit the equinox. I think it's time for the weather to surprise us with some nice high pressure, mid twenties and sunshine to make up for how grim the high summer period (and most of the spring) has been. Maybe not as hot as 2011 but something more prolonged.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Will give some thoughts by end of the month.

After a number of exceptionally benign Autumns, perhaps this will be a stormy one. Haven't checked hurricane activity levels, but could be influential this year, possibly a long lasting season well into November given the warm SSTs. 

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

It isn't unusual for trees to slowly start turning in mid August, in the same way that nature slowly starts coming back to life in February.

The turning of the trees does seem to speed up from September onwards though.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
another typo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter
2 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

It isn't unusual for trees to slowly start turning in mid August, in the same way that nature slowly starts coming back to life in February.

The turning of the trees does seem to peed up from September onwards though.

On this topic, I've never seen anything like how late they turned in 2022. There were some trees in town that still had green leaves in December

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
Just now, plymsunshine said:

On this topic, I've never seen anything like how late they turned in 2022. There were some trees in town that still had green leaves in December

I found this to be the case in autumn 2021. Nature was very slow that year, with the trees being late to bloom in the spring and late to turn in the autumn.

• Like 1

Posted

Whilst generally pleasant, September is an overrated month in my opinion, from a weather enthusiast's perspective. It's usually quite a benign month with summer gradually becoming a distant memory but it doesn't feel properly like autumn yet either. For me personally, the most interesting weather of the autumn doesn't usually happen until October, or late September (from the equinox onwards) in some years.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I found this to be the case in autumn 2021. Nature was very slow that year, with the trees being late to bloom in the spring and late to turn in the autumn.

Definitely in autumn 2021 as well, probably because of how benign and warm the first half of that autumn was. Definitely remember still seeing some leaves in late November

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow
7 hours ago, plymsunshine said:

The only other year I recall being as late was 2013- clearly remember trees in Efford being greenish as Christmas lights came on in houses. 

The trees in Plymouth City Centre are very protected and do change much later.  But this year and not just horse chestnuts there's a faint tint of autumn if you look hard enough. Dartmoor is definitely heading towards Autumn high up the Tors with some bracken starting to die back. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny summer with thunderstorms, freezing cold snowy winters.

Some trees starting to go yellow here. Not expecting great autumn displays this year due to how dull its been. 

• Like 2

Posted
On 19/08/2023 at 01:21, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Whilst generally pleasant, September is an overrated month in my opinion, from a weather enthusiast's perspective. It's usually quite a benign month with summer gradually becoming a distant memory but it doesn't feel properly like autumn yet either. For me personally, the most interesting weather of the autumn doesn't usually happen until October, or late September (from the equinox onwards) in some years.

I also find September the least interesting month weather wise. Extreme conditions are at there least likely. Conversely it is a month when the weather rarely gets in the way of anything and therefore our most benign month. I often find I view the models least in September. Can be very trying for weather enthusiasts, Autumn often doesn't gain a foothold until after the equinox. 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
9 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Sooo ... Are we going to see any warm sun come September? ...

Unlikely with the current model output.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Just take whatever is offered.
8 minutes ago, markyo said:

Unlikely with the current model output.

Think in all honesty a September 2018 looks like the current favourite, which would be fair enough the way this year is going.    

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Depends what you’re after. I quite like September if it brings a continuation of summer, but all too often the Atlantic has rolled back in but without the gusto of the equinox onwards, so it just ends up bland.

Posted
20 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Depends what you’re after. I quite like September if it brings a continuation of summer, but all too often the Atlantic has rolled back in but without the gusto of the equinox onwards, so it just ends up bland.

Like I said above I think we are likely to have the coolest September since 2018 with a better bit towards the last 10 days.    My hunch as things stand.    

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
45 minutes ago, Addicks Fan 1981 said:

Like I said above I think we are likely to have the coolest September since 2018 with a better bit towards the last 10 days.    My hunch as things stand.    

A pretty unremarkable month with a bit of everything, but good on the sunshine front.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Come to think of it @MP-RSeptember 2018 although it was near average in temperature terms it felt really pleasant when the sun did come out.   

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Drove to North Devon Saturday for Football and I was pretty surprised to see the beech trees seem to be ones most turning. 

Autumn's have been pretty quiet for a while now - but I can guarantee mid October when I'm on leave and in Greece the weather will be dry! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

That's precisely why I like September! A very pleasant month indeed. I'm still in the summer mindset until the equinox. 

October can be pleasant too, but I absolutely loathe November. Worst month of the y ear hands down imo. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
On 18/08/2023 at 09:01, Nick L said:

The only trees I've noticed "turning" are horse chestnuts which are badly affected by moth larvae. No sign of anything turning around here and it's about as leafy as you can get in the south around these parts! Would be interested to see photo evidence from those claiming otherwise.

Much greener than recent summers where nature was badly affected by the heat.

I wouldn't expect any signs of change until the end of September, and even then I wouldn't expect much. October is the month I associate with the trees really changing, and then the peak of autumn colour occurs in November. I have never noticed autumn colours in August unless it's been hot and dry.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2