Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2023

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it and sunny crisp days

Well, it’s officially 🍂 in my house as I’ve had the log delivery for my wood burner today 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Just clicked on to start talking about autumn, and realised this thread has been running since early July, no surprise really, just thought it was the new autumn thread for tomorrow. Weather looks to improve over the weekend, looking forward to it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, snowgirl30 said:

Well, it’s officially 🍂 in my house as I’ve had the log delivery for my wood burner today 

I want a log burner :(

• Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, snowgirl30 said:

We bought a pallet load last September fully expecting to heavily use it due to the price of gas. In the end we hardly needed it as apart from the spells in mid-Dec and mid-Jan it was mostly mild and not very windy. This is a warm house though so we can fire it up in the evening with the doors open and we'll be good until the morning usually.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

Well, that's Summer done from a meteorological POV. Very disappointing after the record June although I suppose at least we had a good June, better than a complete no show like some years like 2011 which was cool, drab and stormless throughout!

I'm glad we've got some warmth left in the traditional astronomic summer. We'll have to see how long it lasts but there's something to look forward to and enjoy. Just a bit more warmth please then we can have true autumn afterwards. I'm not quite ready for true autumn just yet!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Never feels autumnal until equinox arrives..First 3 weeks September has a late summer lag feel, its only the loss of light that reminds you we are long past solstice. Alas this year, many are about to see most sustained warmth since June! 

• Like 8

Posted
16 minutes ago, Dangerous55019 said:

RABBITS! WHITE RABBITS! 🐇🐇🐇

It’s the 1st of September 2023, which means that it’s the first day of meteorological autumn! 🍃🍂🍁🍄

And right bang on cue… Here comes the fog! 🥳

So naturally I had to go and and chase the fog didn’t I? 🌫️😁🌫️👍🏻

Welcome to the promised land. 🌫️🌫️🌫️🌫️ 😁

Could contain:

Dense Fog has arrived in Wrexahm today. Visibility less than 300 metres. Right on cue on the 1st September.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!

Yes, I was up for work early this morning and on the drive in, what I thought was initially a 'cute' autumn mist soon developed into quite a fog in some places...! Quite atmospheric when I was around trees and a river...but potentially dangerous on the roads, especially given the way people drive these days...(I sound like an old git, I know! Maybe I am!).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
15 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I have two !! I'm eagerly scanning the long-range forecast for the a sub 8c evening so that I can fire one up for the first time

Clocks back next month 🤣

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Thankfully summer 2023 comes to an end and despite it being very drizzly this morning we should be looking forward to several days in the low 30s next week along with some lovely mild nights. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Dangerous55019 said:

RABBITS! WHITE RABBITS! 🐇🐇🐇

It’s the 1st of September 2023, which means that it’s the first day of meteorological autumn! 🍃🍂🍁🍄

And right bang on cue… Here comes the fog! 🥳

So naturally I had to go and and chase the fog didn’t I? 🌫️😁🌫️👍🏻

Welcome to the promised land. 🌫️🌫️🌫️🌫️ 😁

Could contain:

My normal early morning walk/runs take me to some prone fields near the river Irwell.  No mist this morning though, not even any dew.  Shallow mists and heavy dew have been a feature right through July and August though, with the ground really wet, meaning even if the temperatures didn't drop much overnight, mist/dew readily formed.  Some very atmospheric mornings. 

"Summer" like mornings (i.e. no or only a light dew and relatively mild feeling) have been restricted to June this year for the most part....and looking at the forecast, maybe the first week of September too!  We will see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

First day of meteorological autumn here started grey and drizzly leaving raindrops on the spider webs.
Sun trying to break through now.

Could contain:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, icy, snowy etc
19 hours ago, snowgirl30 said:

Our kiln dried logs get delivered next week; new wood burner being fitted next week too 🙂

Had 6 huge sycamore's felled a few weeks back; they're laying in the woods behind us ready for me to chop smaller and split ready to season for next year

treesfelled.jpg

Going to build a wood storage down there for them to all be covered etc

Edited by Dan B
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Alderc 2.0 said:

Thankfully summer 2023 comes to an end and despite it being very drizzly this morning we should be looking forward to several days in the low 30s next week along with some lovely mild nights. 

Desperately need some warmth and sunshine after that erm.......summer....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Looks like we're getting a heat blast to rub in the face of kids as they go back to school and people head back to work after summer hols. 

It's the worst kind of weather for me due to the humidity factor. I'd have enjoyed some sun and a cool breeze, but hot southern air is the killer for me.

Hopefully it doesnt exacerbate my current health state too much pr last too long. At least I should have had my op and be back to normal before Summer rolls back round next year! 

Posted
20 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

We've got a parkray room heater in the north-facing lounge which is the largest and coldest room in the house. It burns absolutely anything and warms the whole of the house if we leave the door to the hallway open.

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

I have two !! I'm eagerly scanning the long-range forecast for the a sub 8c evening so that I can fire one up for the first time

Clocks back next month 🤣

I just don't know where to put one in the house! We are thinking of getting a small extension in the living room but the other thing is we hardly use the living room! Sigh! ...

7 minutes ago, CharlieBear9 said:

We've got a parkray room heater in the north-facing lounge which is the largest and coldest room in the house. It burns absolutely anything and warms the whole of the house if we leave the door to the hallway open.

Does it need ventilation like a log burner? As that's my issue I don't have an outside wall to attach one too

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I just don't know where to put one in the house! We are thinking of getting a small extension in the living room but the other thing is we hardly use the living room! Sigh! ...

Does it need ventilation like a log burner? As that's my issue I don't have an outside wall to attach one too

Ours is in the fireplace where the old open fire used to be so the chimney's always been there. They do need venting so I suppose some fan assisted system would be necessary for you but that's a guess.

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, CharlieBear9 said:

Ours is in the fireplace where the old open fire used to be so the chimney's always been there. They do need venting so I suppose some fan assisted system would be necessary for you but that's a guess.

I have what I suspect is a fake fireplace where our gas fire used to be. But I dont think it goes out to the roof. Would need a builder to look at it.