Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The poor summer haters club

Posted
2 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Well, my yucky cold has turned out to be covid. Thanks, crap autumnal weather! Grrr 😡 

Get well soon!

I’ve tested twice as I still had some tests locked away but they’ve come back negative. 

I feel awful though and it’s definitely the worst bug I’ve had since legit covid the first time round - shortness of breath/chest tightness has been a bit unsettling though my blood oxygen seems to be normal. Horrible dry cough too!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
Just now, Azazel said:

Get well soon!

I’ve tested twice as I still had some tests locked away but they’ve come back negative. 

I feel awful though and it’s definitely the worst bug I’ve had since legit covid the first time round - shortness of breath/chest tightness has been a bit unsettling though my blood oxygen seems to be normal. Horrible dry cough too!

Thanks 🙏 You too! So many yucky bugs going around. The shortness of breath is horrible, have that too. I find diffusing eucalyptus essential oil very helpful. 
All these nasty colds and covids are clearly a result of the vile last 6-7 weeks of ‘summer’ weather. Another reason I hate this weather in summer, it’s bad enough with colds at other times of the year

• Like 1

Posted

I think we have poor summers more often than not. Only 2022 2018 2006 and 2003 in last 20 years stand out for me. And what is infuriating is when the BBC weather bloke goes "at this time of year the jet stream is normallt north of the UK". It never is. It's always to thd south. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Thanks 🙏 You too! So many yucky bugs going around. The shortness of breath is horrible, have that too. I find diffusing eucalyptus essential oil very helpful. 
All these nasty colds and covids are clearly a result of the vile last 6-7 weeks of ‘summer’ weather. Another reason I hate this weather in summer, it’s bad enough with colds at other times of the year

Thank you - yes exactly this. I was kind of hoping it was covid (maybe it is and the tests are funky) so I would be less likely to catch it in the winter but I guess I have that to look forward to too now!

• Like 1

Posted
40 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

I stay with her when I’m on my work shifts here. Yes, feel quite fluey and the headache yesterday was vile. I guess I keep getting it cos I work as crew, and parts of Heathrow are not very healthy lol.
How did you feel when you had it?Thanks for the hugs, weather sis 😊🤗😷

Day 1 A sore throat and runny nose but I didn't feel ill

Day 2 Woke at 330am with a fever. Tested at 9am after kids had gone to school lol - Positive. Felt fluey

Day 3 In bed all of the above plus headache

Day 4 still in bed feeling slightly better headache gone but now starts the diarrhea

Day 5 still diarrhea and lost hearing in one ear. This scared me. Can get out of bed for a little bit. Feel less fluey but still have the weird lighted feeling spaced out that you get with flu

Day 6 get dressed but no energy to do anything diarrhea gone but other IBS symptoms start

Day 7 still exhausted but start some light house work

Day 10 energy a bit better

Day 30 nose running finally stops!!! I had sinusitis after it. IBS finally settled.

So yea the main part was 7-10 days and then it just lingered on for a month.

• Like 1

Posted

Exactly as predicted. The warm blip next week grinds to a halt on Friday. BBC app for Saturday now has showers all day to 16.00. And 23c.  This morning was showing glorious sunshine and 25c. Summer 2023. The gift thst keeps on giving. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
32 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Day 1 A sore throat and runny nose but I didn't feel ill

Day 2 Woke at 330am with a fever. Tested at 9am after kids had gone to school lol - Positive. Felt fluey

Day 3 In bed all of the above plus headache

Day 4 still in bed feeling slightly better headache gone but now starts the diarrhea

Day 5 still diarrhea and lost hearing in one ear. This scared me. Can get out of bed for a little bit. Feel less fluey but still have the weird lighted feeling spaced out that you get with flu

Day 6 get dressed but no energy to do anything diarrhea gone but other IBS symptoms start

Day 7 still exhausted but start some light house work

Day 10 energy a bit better

Day 30 nose running finally stops!!! I had sinusitis after it. IBS finally settled.

So yea the main part was 7-10 days and then it just lingered on for a month.

You really copped it! Horrible. Do you have any effects still?

40 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Thank you - yes exactly this. I was kind of hoping it was covid (maybe it is and the tests are funky) so I would be less likely to catch it in the winter but I guess I have that to look forward to too now!

Yeah, a 9 month cold and flu season, fun 

Posted
11 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Awful for both of you. Pretty sure I had it last summer. I remember 3 days I could hardly move. Exhaustion. Luckily it passed pretty quickly and I recovered. It's still around. A couple of people in my office got it in the last 2 or 3 weeks. 

• Like 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

No all good after that first month! Thankfully I was fully vaxxed too with my last Vax last December. What day are you on? How goes it for you?

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

No all good after that first month! Thankfully I was fully vaxxed too with my last Vax last December. What day are you on? How goes it for you?

That’s good 👍🏻 Theoretically, we shouldn’t get a serious version now, after the jabs. I’m on day 3 of feeling rough. Today wasn’t as bad but feeling crap tonight again. Paracetamol and bed. Night all x

• Like 2

Posted

I hope you all feel better soon.

Heading out to work now. It’s one of those typical grey August mornings, when it feels humid but doesn’t feel like summer. More like a mid early October day. 

Hoping for some more sunshine to break through later or sometime this coming week.

Have a good one, and for those who have been feeling unwell recently, get well soon👍

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
16 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Well, my yucky cold has turned out to be covid. Thanks, crap autumnal weather! Grrr 😡 

Sorry to hear, but get well soon! 👍

Sun's breaking through now in my area! Hope it helps your COVID symptoms 

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 1

Posted

Another dreadful day of cloud, and only fleeting sunny spells.

Summer 2023 has been a really poor summer. Utterly rubbish. Hasn’t really felt summery apart from a few days last week, and mid June to early July.

I hope 2024 doesn’t end up like this. 

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, davehsug said:

Pouring down again here. Is there really no end to it? Just a few days respite please!

No, this summer is the summer that never really happened. Is it any wonder why people prefer to go to the med for their holidays.

I would take 40c over this awful mess of a summer, and that’s how bad I think this summer has been. I would love 25-29c, but it seems difficult to even achieve that for longer periods of time. 

I like this country, but can see why many people don’t want to have holidays here and always rush to escape to the continent.

Everything seems overpriced, poor quality, poor service, and the unpredictable nature of the weather, also adds insult to injury. It’s just a very depressing country to live and work.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
53 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Hasn’t really felt summery apart from a few days last week, and mid June to early July.

This is the issue. It's not about wanting heatwaves and "extreme heat". It just hasn't felt summery, at all, outside of that small window. 

The key benefit of this season for me is usability. Longer days and warmer mornings and evenings means you have so much more scope to do things outdoors comfortably, whether it be a beer garden, Al fresco dinner, camping or simply walking the dog.

The mornings and evenings from early July until now have been actively chilly, sometimes even cold. Wednesday and Thursday just gone have been the only 2 days since that warm July 8th, where it felt summery all day and you can sit outside in just a t shirt in the morning and evening. 

Which sums up summer 2023 - a severe lack of comfortable and usable summery conditions. Bear in mind...this was the first July since 1979 that didn't record a single day at 30c or over. I mean, we struggled to even get a above 20c for much of the month!

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

This is the issue. It's not about wanting heatwaves and "extreme heat". It just hasn't felt summery, at all, outside of that small window. 

The key benefit of this season for me is usability. Longer days and warmer mornings and evenings means you have so much more scope to do things outdoors comfortably, whether it be a beer garden, Al fresco dinner, camping or simply walking the dog.

The mornings and evenings from early July until now have been actively chilly, sometimes even cold. Wednesday and Thursday just gone have been the only 2 days since that warm July 8th, where it felt summery all day and you can sit outside in just a t shirt in the morning and evening. 

Which sums up summer 2023 - a severe lack of comfortable and usable summery conditions. Bear in mind...this was the first July since 1979 that didn't record a single day at 30c or over. I mean, we struggled to even get a above 20c for much of the month!

First July to fail recording 30c since Gary Numan and Boomtown Rats were having hits?

I thought 1987 failed to reach 30c in July that year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
16 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Hope you feeling better mate, sounds like you have had what i've just had, not nice at all. 

Just a point, did you know its a very commonly held view that cold damp weather causes or influences the severity of colds, it doesn't, its a virus. The reason we have a cold and flu season later in the year has been shown to be many factors, one of the main ones is the schools being in, transmission is higher, same with more folk not being on holiday from work. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, markyo said:

Hope you feeling better mate, sounds like you have had what i've just had, not nice at all. 

Just a point, did you know its a very commonly held view that cold damp weather causes or influences the severity of colds, it doesn't, its a virus. The reason we have a cold and flu season later in the year has been shown to be many factors, one of the main ones is the schools being in, transmission is higher, same with more folk not being on holiday from work. 

And what's the cause of people having to be shut away indoors? The godawful weather, whatever the time of year.

• Like 2

Posted
27 minutes ago, markyo said:

The cooler temps and unsettled weather causes the immune system to be weaker. The body is more susceptible to catching colds.

Warm sunny weather shakes off cold and viruses. 

This summer has been crap, hence the reason why so many more people are unwell. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
6 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

The cooler temps and unsettled weather causes the immune system to be weaker. The body is more susceptible to catching colds.

Warm sunny weather shakes off cold and viruses. 

This summer has been crap, hence the reason why so many more people are unwell. 

Vitamin D. I think September will be summery.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, lassie23 said:

Vitamin D. I think September will be summery.

Yeah I think you will be right. The problem with the summery September is, it’s sort of too little too late.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
Just now, Sunny76 said:

Yeah I think you will be right. The problem with the summery September is, it’s sort of too little too late.

Gets dark early too🤦‍♂️🤮

Posted
1 hour ago, markyo said:

Thanks, I’ll be ok 👍🏻 It’s been unpleasant but I’m more worried about giving it to my Mum, so I’ve made other arrangements and only spent last night there (wearing a mask).

Check out the link, interesting article about how scientists have recently discovered cold air actually negatively affects our immunity 

221205091646-winter-cold-stock-super-tea
AMP.CNN.COM

A new scientific finding has uncovered why we get more viral colds, flu and Covid in winter and during cold snaps.

• Insightful 1