Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The poor summer haters club

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
49 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

The cooler temps and unsettled weather causes the immune system to be weaker. The body is more susceptible to catching colds.

Warm sunny weather shakes off cold and viruses. 

This summer has been crap, hence the reason why so many more people are unwell. 

Sorry thats wrong, i'm not going to debate a scientific fact mate

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
4 hours ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Sorry to hear, but get well soon! 👍

Sun's breaking through now in my area! Hope it helps your COVID symptoms 

Thanks 🙏 I’ll live (hopefully lol). Felt nice enough when the sun came out for a few minutes this afternoon but when the numerous thick grey clouds plaster the sky it actually feels pretty chilly in that wind

Posted
4 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Thanks, I’ll be ok 👍🏻 It’s been unpleasant but I’m more worried about giving it to my Mum, so I’ve made other arrangements and only spent last night there (wearing a mask).

Check out the link, interesting article about how scientists have recently discovered cold air actually negatively affects our immunity 

221205091646-winter-cold-stock-super-tea
AMP.CNN.COM

A new scientific finding has uncovered why we get more viral colds, flu and Covid in winter and during cold snaps.

Hope your on the mend mate, it totally floored me for nearly a week, it was the cough and the throat.

That article refers to cold weather, actual cold weather, near to or sub zero weather, not this summers temps.

Interesting article though, thanks.

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
1 hour ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

This is the issue. It's not about wanting heatwaves and "extreme heat". It just hasn't felt summery, at all, outside of that small window. 

The key benefit of this season for me is usability. Longer days and warmer mornings and evenings means you have so much more scope to do things outdoors comfortably, whether it be a beer garden, Al fresco dinner, camping or simply walking the dog.

The mornings and evenings from early July until now have been actively chilly, sometimes even cold. Wednesday and Thursday just gone have been the only 2 days since that warm July 8th, where it felt summery all day and you can sit outside in just a t shirt in the morning and evening. 

Which sums up summer 2023 - a severe lack of comfortable and usable summery conditions. Bear in mind...this was the first July since 1979 that didn't record a single day at 30c or over. I mean, we struggled to even get a above 20c for much of the month!

I don't want heatwaves, I'd be happy with 21-25C with sunshine which is a good temperature for doing outdoor work and is sufficient in high summer to feel the warmth due to the strength of the sun. The issue this summer for me is the lack of settled weather on the weekends. I was away for a couple of weeks in July but aside from that, ever since early July there has been some rain on every weekend I think even when the forecast was for a dry Saturday or Sunday. Classic this morning, I had volunteered to assist with some work at my allotment site and didn't bring a coat with me as I recalled Sunday was forecast to be dry. As soon as I got there the heavens opened. This was in addition to the soaking I got when cycling home from town on Saturday morning. When you have a Mon-Fri day job and every weekend you get dumped on with rain it gets very frustrating, and we have very little of the meteorological summer left so I am hoping for a warm dry September (but please no stupid 30+C temperatures and tropical nights).

1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

First July to fail recording 30c since Gary Numan and Boomtown Rats were having hits?

I thought 1987 failed to reach 30c in July that year.

Didn't July 2007 just barely fail to reach 30C?

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, davehsug said:

And what's the cause of people having to be shut away indoors? The godawful weather, whatever the time of year.

During a mild winter, very mild and folk were getting a cold bug would you blame the weather? No. Temps would be lower as well. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
6 minutes ago, markyo said:

Hope your on the mend mate, it totally floored me for nearly a week, it was the cough and the throat.

That article refers to cold weather, actual cold weather, near to or sub zero weather, not this summers temps.

Interesting article though, thanks.

Yes it’s not been fun, the headache was the worst but thankfully only lasted 24 hours. 
I wonder what’s caused the explosion in colds and flu since the weather turned in late June? 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Yes it’s not been fun, the headache was the worst but thankfully only lasted 24 hours. 
I wonder what’s caused the explosion in colds and flu since the weather turned in late June? 

More people staying indoors. More people who work in offices, not outside for lunch as much. Breeding ground for germs probably. 

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

It seems one specific bug, i've been round most of the country since June, same symptoms i've heard, not a normal cold. Something different, my MD nearly ended up in hospital with it.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

More people staying indoors. More people who work in offices, not outside for lunch as much. Breeding ground for germs probably. 

Going out for your lunch won't make a difference! Your in there for 8hrs! It would just mean more transmission possibilities going out!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
16 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Hope your getting better Mr. ☺️ Yeah I've had covid a few times. Always started with a headache and then a dry cough but thankfully it never got any worse than that.

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, markyo said:

Going out for your lunch won't make a difference! Your in there for 8hrs! It would just mean more transmission possibilities going out!

Well, try and enlighten me, as to why more people have colds this summer. There’s only one explanation, and it’s because the weather has been terrible and not very summery. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, markyo said:

It seems one specific bug, i've been round most of the country since June, same symptoms i've heard, not a normal cold. Something different, my MD nearly ended up in hospital with it.

There has been a really nasty cold bug going around. That’s what I assumed I had until I tested, just to be safe. 

7 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

Hope your getting better Mr. ☺️ Yeah I've had covid a few times. Always started with a headache and then a dry cough but thankfully it never got any worse than that.

Thanks 🙏 The headache has gone, hallelujah. Couple of days of rest and I’ll be ok. That cough is weird, and the spiky random chest pains

• Like 2

Posted
30 minutes ago, markyo said:

During a mild winter, very mild and folk were getting a cold bug would you blame the weather? No. Temps would be lower as well. 

Oh come on, even in a mild winter people are at home, windows are closed and air isn't refreshed. I know you adore this filthy weather, but please, don't twist facts to try and make us feel we should somehow be grateful!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
7 minutes ago, davehsug said:

Oh come on, even in a mild winter people are at home, windows are closed and air isn't refreshed. I know you adore this filthy weather, but please, don't twist facts to try and make us feel we should somehow be grateful!

Exactly. It's not purely about the temperature itself, it's about people's activities in relation to said temps. So it's a direct correlation. Cooler/wetter/duller weather generally = more people indoors, windows closed, central heating on, larger indoor gatherings, less fresh air circulated, and thus easier transmission of germs. 

That said, it's also demonstrable that lower vitamin D (from sunlight/sunshine) levels hampers our immune system's capabilities, which is the other reason as to why people are generally more susceptible to colds, flus etc in winter months. 

Obviously, certain viruses can still prevail as 'outliers' in terms of their spread and activity...COVID being a prime example. We had a fantastically warm/sunny spring and summer that year yet the transmission kept increasing!

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 3

Posted
18 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Well, try and enlighten me, as to why more people have colds this summer. There’s only one explanation, and it’s because the weather has been terrible and not very summery. 

I've tried to!!! Your just not grasping it mate. For a virus to thrive more in the Cold, ie human immune is down then it means Cold. Not the temps we've had this summer. Sorry mate thats not my opinion, ask your doctor. He or she will explain it

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, davehsug said:

Going to leave it mate, your not understanding the facts at all. Speak to a medical professional, they will explain. I'm not twisting anything. 

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, markyo said:

Going to leave it mate, your not understanding the facts at all. Speak to a medical professional, they will explain. I'm not twisting anything. 

Or I understand only too well. Anyhow as you say I'll just leave it here. I made a post yesterday about people coming in to threads that they know they don't agree with and here I am allowing myself to be drawn in to a discussion. 

• Like 3

Posted

Delightful summer skies in west London this afternoon. What joy

Could contain:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
6 minutes ago, Earthshine said:

Anyone have any recommendations of countries with sunny and hot climates to move to?  🤣

Depends what you want culturally! Australia is a good one. But can be quite severe heat depending on where you are. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, al78 said:

Didn't July 2007 just barely fail to reach 30C

Oh maybe! I'm just recalling what another poster said, can't remember who, so I might be wrong!

Posted
1 hour ago, davehsug said:

Or I understand only too well. Anyhow as you say I'll just leave it here. I made a post yesterday about people coming in to threads that they know they don't agree with and here I am allowing myself to be drawn in to a discussion. 

Don't waste your time.

As the saying goes 'never argue with a fool, people won't know the difference'

35 minutes ago, Earthshine said:

Anyone have any recommendations of countries with sunny and hot climates to move to?  🤣

Spain, Italy, Portugal. Take your pick.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, mild/warm summers and varied shoulder seasons

The reason for more colds being around is simple. The poor weather means more people indoors like you are more likely to catch a cold at a cinema or restaurant than at the beach or out hiking.

• Like 2

Posted
56 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

As the saying goes 'never argue with a fool, people won't know the difference'

Very true....i still argue with you!🤣