Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The poor summer haters club

Posted

June seems like a distant memory, thank god I went to Greece end of June for two weeks. It’s been atrocious pretty much every day since I got back though. An absolute rotter of a summer. 

• Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Haha, well, my ends currently are Slovenia! Just landed. Bit of hiking, kayaking etc on the cards now. Was in Spain at my parent's little apartment out there last week. Nice relaxing time.

View from the airport shuttle area is looking promising 😎

Didn't you have a break as well? How'd the weather fare for you?

Could contain:

Yes, I went with my partner down to a place called Dawlish. It’s a tiny town in Devon, about 12 miles east of Torquay and just under 10 miles from Exeter.

Nice little place. Friday was raining after we arrived, but Saturday and Sunday saw an improvement. It was quite warm around 22-23c in the sunshine. 

1 minute ago, Summer18 said:

June seems like a distant memory, thank god I went to Greece end of June for two weeks. It’s been atrocious pretty much every day since I got back though. An absolute rotter of a summer. 

Yeah, this summer rivals anything that was bad during those mid to late 1980s years. The hot sunny June on its own isn’t enough to make it decent. 

• Like 2

Posted
22 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Haha, well, my ends currently are Slovenia! Just landed. Bit of hiking, kayaking etc on the cards now. Was in Spain at my parent's little apartment out there last week. Nice relaxing time.

View from the airport shuttle area is looking promising 😎

Didn't you have a break as well? How'd the weather fare for you?

Could contain:

Enjoy the rest of your trip. Sounds like you are really enjoying it.

But, you must envy me when I down a pint of Brewdog while watching the Union Jack dangling in the chilly wind in the city 🍺 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
1 hour ago, SunSean said:

Someone just posted in the MOD thread, a low pressure anomaly right over the UK for September so I'm not holding out much hope now! Did think earlier on back in Feb that June & September would be our 2 best months this year but low pressure reigns supreme this year so unlikely that September will be great. Those anomaly charts have been very accurate all year unfortunately. I remember seeing one posted for low pressure over the UK throughout July and I remember thinking surely not but it turned out 100% accurate!

That would be absolutely appalling if it played out, and would surely be the worst July-September period in the UK by a country mile in the past 50 years if so.

All hopes would then be on October to deliver something unseasonably dry and sunny. Given the last decent October was 2018, we are overdue a good one.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
1 hour ago, MP-R said:

August hasn’t been bad, it just hasn’t been good. Obviously location dependent wrt whether one’s been closer to bad or good. It’s felt like a standard September with slightly higher max and min tbh.

In true August fashion, it’s been quite meh. Dare I say it, we’re still overdue a truly bad August.

Ah ok, was looking at @Sunny76's comment that the weather has only been summery since mid August, i.e one week, and by all accounts it's turned bad again today. Haven't looked in detail at the day to day weather admittedly.

I suppose the first half of 2021 and second half of 2020 were truly and shockingly bad, but in neither case was the month as a whole.

Posted
On 21/08/2023 at 11:27, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Same here 19c. 

Perhaps summer will come in December ...

On the other hand, looks like this week hasn't been good everywhere.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
16 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

That would be absolutely appalling if it played out, and would surely be the worst July-September period in the UK by a country mile in the past 50 years if so.

All hopes would then be on October to deliver something unseasonably dry and sunny. Given the last decent October was 2018, we are overdue a good one.

Yeah but June was the 'hottest on record' so it's actually a decent summer 😉

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

But, you must envy me when I down a pint of Brewdog while watching the Union Jack dangling in the chilly wind in the city 🍺 

Incredibly envious with an ice cold local Slovenian pint while watching lake Bohinj,  baking in a rather extreme 30c. 

Tonnes of children swimming and playing in the lake. Parents need to be careful. These sort of temps can be deadly. 😎

Could contain:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

Ah ok, was looking at @Sunny76's comment that the weather has only been summery since mid August, i.e one week, and by all accounts it's turned bad again today. Haven't looked in detail at the day to day weather admittedly.

I suppose the first half of 2021 and second half of 2020 were truly and shockingly bad, but in neither case was the month as a whole.

I would say August 23 is better than August 21, so it’s slightly better than that vile summer month. It was consistently dull, with only a couple of warm sunny days. This august is just slightly better than that. 

Posted
18 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Incredibly envious with an ice cold local Slovenian pint while watching lake Bohinj,  baking in a rather extreme 30c. 

Tonnes of children swimming and playing in the lake. Parents need to be careful. These sort of temps can be deadly. 😎

Could contain:

30c? My god, please be careful.

The beer will dehydrate you even more.

I will stick to my soggy sausage rolls and warm lager, thank you very much!

That view is amazing 👍

23 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Yeah but June was the 'hottest on record' so it's actually a decent summer 😉

Lol let’s not go there. I was taken to Coventry last week over my comments about June and the summer this year 🤣

• Like 3

Posted
21 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

30c? My god, please be careful.

The beer will dehydrate you even more.

I will stick to my soggy sausage rolls and warm lager, thank you very much!

That view is amazing 👍

Lol let’s not go there. I was taken to Coventry last week over my comments about June and the summer this year 🤣

I did see that! It's effectively the divide between those who go purely by statistics as the sole barometer by which to perceive reality, and those who realise there's more to it than simple numbers on a graph... Issue is, many seem to be very holier-than-thou about parading facts and figures as some sort of god-given truth about the situation. Regardless of the fact that stats like the CET are quite literally one dimensional. They incorporate night time mean temps (who cares about what's going on at 3am in July!?), and obviously ignore cloud cover, wind, and rain - all of which were the Three Horseman of the Dullpocalypse that was High Summer 2023. The temps werent really the main issue, so I couldn't give a monkeys they the CET is coming out as "average temps" for July. 

I get that many here are "weather nerds" but the proof is in the pudding that if you speak to 9/10 people in the real world, they'll attest to it being a poor summer season since star of July.

3 good weeks in June don't compensate for 6 weeks of proceeding dross, whatever the CET might 'demonstrate'. 

If I'm healthy for 3 weeks then get ill for 6 weeks, I'm not really going to care much that prior to being ill, I was healthy. I'm going to be focusing on the present situation, and the present situation in said context, sucks!

Anyway, rant over. I'll do my official "summary" (not summery, lol) of the season at the very end of August, but suffice to say, i won't be basing it purely on "le statistics"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, Summer8906 said:

Can’t speak for other places but here, summery days have included the 01st, 09th-11th, 15th-18th and 21st-today inclusive. Other days were dry and usable but not necessarily summery. 

Today is actually better than expected too.

Could contain:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
1 hour ago, Summer8906 said:

The first week of August was poor, and since then it has been normal. It's been a very boring month, reminiscent of August 2009.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
4 hours ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Could contain:

Looks horrible there! Be careful in that terrible heat, you shouldn’t be drinking beer 🍺 😂 

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Another beauty of a late summer’s day here in Czechia, 29°C and mostly sunny  with a nice breeze. 

Could contain:

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

I did see that! It's effectively the divide between those who go purely by statistics as the sole barometer by which to perceive reality, and those who realise there's more to it than simple numbers on a graph... Issue is, many seem to be very holier-than-thou about parading facts and figures as some sort of god-given truth about the situation. Regardless of the fact that stats like the CET are quite literally one dimensional. They incorporate night time mean temps (who cares about what's going on at 3am in July!?), and obviously ignore cloud cover, wind, and rain - all of which were the Three Horseman of the Dullpocalypse that was High Summer 2023. The temps werent really the main issue, so I couldn't give a monkeys they the CET is coming out as "average temps" for July. 

I get that many here are "weather nerds" but the proof is in the pudding that if you speak to 9/10 people in the real world, they'll attest to it being a poor summer season since star of July.

3 good weeks in June don't compensate for 6 weeks of proceeding dross, whatever the CET might 'demonstrate'. 

If I'm healthy for 3 weeks then get ill for 6 weeks, I'm not really going to care much that prior to being ill, I was healthy. I'm going to be focusing on the present situation, and the present situation in said context, sucks!

Anyway, rant over. I'll do my official "summary" (not summery, lol) of the season at the very end of August, but suffice to say, i won't be basing it purely on "le statistics"

Agree. Quite a few elements of July were poor (rainfall, cloud cover, wind speed, etc) and this continued well into August. I have no idea why certain individuals choose to ignore all this just because temperatures were just a little below average. Yet the same individuals will be crowing away should above average temperatures be recorded. 
Honestly, I really hope we get a properly cold and snowy upcoming winter. It’s about time but also it should soothe and placate the poor dears, especially if we get a warm summer next year. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted

I'm loving this humidity. Sat outside and hung the laundry in the clouds and I wasn't cold!! At least leave it humid if we do have to suffer cloud so I'm not cold all the time!

• Like 3

Posted
16 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I'm loving this humidity. Sat outside and hung the laundry in the clouds and I wasn't cold!! At least leave it humid if we do have to suffer cloud so I'm not cold all the time!

Yeah I prefer this to the cool and cloudy conditions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Thought I was the only bod on this site that is a fan of warmth/humidity ! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Thought I was the only bod on this site that is a fan of warmth/humidity ! 

I must admit I'm not a night fan but love by day 

Posted
1 hour ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Don't go into the Heat Haters thread...they'll skin you alive for mentioning "love" and "humidity" in the same sentence 😬

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Don't go into the Heat Haters thread...they'll skin you alive for mentioning "love" and "humidity" in the same sentence 😬

Deffo! 😂

• Like 1

Posted
48 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Love and humidity!!! 

Sounds like a lovers rock song. 

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Love and humidity!!! 

Sounds like a lovers rock song. 

Or an alternative to a rather famous novel...

It's "Love in the Time of Claginess"

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
9 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I would say August 23 is better than August 21, so it’s slightly better than that vile summer month. It was consistently dull, with only a couple of warm sunny days. This august is just slightly better than that. 

I'd say the Augusts of 2012, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2023 are all better than August 2021. 

August 2021 belongs with the absolute worst Augusts in my lifetime; 2008 and 2010.

Cool, wet and the dullest on record. An absolute pathetic excuse of a summer month.

Screenshot_20230824_211042_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.009096b8db56b8722bc9f8db3bee2f62.jpg

Edited by B87
  • Like 1