Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The poor summer haters club

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!
12 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Landing here now. Not a complete clag-over admittedly, but could do without large blobby clouds for just 1 entire day...surely...too much to ask? Seems so. 

Even worse now! Definitely not "sunny" which it's supposed to be right now according to the Met & BBC lol.

Could contain:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
7 minutes ago, SunSean said:

Even worse now! Definitely not "sunny" which it's supposed to be right now according to the Met & BBC lol.

Could contain:

Indeed, hence why i say - the sunshine / cloud-cover forecasts from Met / BBC are effectively useless. Today was/is meant to be sunnier and warmer than yesterday, yet in my area, it was basically fully clear skies yesterday until 3/4pm (with just a few wispy and fluffy clouds beforehand). Whereas today there was about 85% cloud cover before midday!!!

The speed and spontaneity of which our country can go from a spotless sky to huge clouds everywhere, is unparalleled  - never seen it in another country/climate outside of high-altitude Alpine regions where big fronts blow in due to the mountainous environment (but they generally blow over again within15/20 mins too).

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Like: heat, sun, thunderstorms. Dislike: cold, overcast, wind chill

Blobby clouds here too, but they are more towering and tropical looking today than the usual flattened mounds of misery that we usually get. Summertime cumulonimbus or towering cumulus are acceptable in my books because it's a sign of true summer-like heat. Whereas the flattened dross that we usually get here is a sign of a LACK of true summer-like heat

The lack of wind combined with the chirping grasshoppers in my garden feels very respectable in the sunny breaks... More of this or no clouds at all please.

Edited by BlueDomeSky
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

I have a feeling this thread will have a final resurgence next week after the latest model runs have....wait for it....DOWNGRADED next week's warm/settled spell to another bout of low pressure. 

I'm off on a hiking trip, either Slovenia or the Dolomites in Italy so won't be here for whatever lands, but suffice to say, checking that Model Discussion thread and seeing such confidence in the runs for them to be pulled out beneath out feet, time and time again (since April I might add), is like being fooled by an abusive partner who promises for an improvement on their behaviour, but unsurprisingly, fails to deliver. 

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

I have a feeling this thread will have a final resurgence next week after the latest model runs have....wait for it....DOWNGRADED next week's warm/settled spell to another bout of low pressure. 

I'm off on a hiking trip, either Slovenia or the Dolomites in Italy so won't be here for whatever lands, but suffice to say, checking that Model Discussion thread and seeing such confidence in the runs for them to be pulled out beneath out feet, time and time again (since April I might add), is like being fooled by an abusive partner who promises for an improvement on their behaviour, but unsurprisingly, fails to deliver. 

The perfect analogy in regards to an abusive partner haha. Lost count of the amount of times the models all agreed with high pressure dominance and downgraded it a few days later to the point of it not being just 1 or 2 models, but all 4 main ones in agreement of said downgrade! Reminds me of a government hearing the concerns of people on a subject, considering it for a few days and then unanimously agreeing with each other that the people are wrong and go ahead with their own plan lol.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

stained glass window me ... Open your suitcase i'm coming with ya

• Like 2

Posted

Absolutely dross day today. Gone from showers tonight to now drizzle / rain basically the whole day. And chilly too. This is the second time in a month that plans with my girlfriend have been ruined due to the weather. The last was Saturday 22nd July, that day of 15c max and about 16 hours straight of rain. She doesn't live in London at the moment so specifically takes time out to visit. It's just so typical that this happens, when we have outdoors plans. 

No amounts of maps and graphs change the experience of actually living in this country's summer climate when it's like this. It's just frustrating as f.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Like: heat, sun, thunderstorms. Dislike: cold, overcast, wind chill
1 hour ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Absolutely dross day today. Gone from showers tonight to now drizzle / rain basically the whole day. And chilly too. This is the second time in a month that plans with my girlfriend have been ruined due to the weather. The last was Saturday 22nd July, that day of 15c max and about 16 hours straight of rain. She doesn't live in London at the moment so specifically takes time out to visit. It's just so typical that this happens, when we have outdoors plans. 

No amounts of maps and graphs change the experience of actually living in this country's summer climate when it's like this. It's just frustrating as f.

100% with you. Boring drizzle with no sense of mugginess at all, it just feels like damp autumnal chill. I'll believe we have anything more than moderate rain when I see it! This one thing that I dislike about London, at least in Manchester there are several heavy falls of rain scattered here and there throughout the summer, down here, it's just soulless, anaemic drizzle in most cases.

Edited by BlueDomeSky
  • Like 3

Posted

I wonder if for some counties, 2023 will be the dullest or one of the dullest on record? Spring was exceptionally cloudy for most and Summer has also been exceptionally cloudy for most, barring June. If September follows the low pressure dominance pattern, and seeing the models agreeing that the end of August marks the return of low pressure, it seems like September may also get stuck in the same pattern. Guess we all now have an idea of what it is like to live in the Faroe Islands!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
2 minutes ago, SunSean said:

I wonder if for some counties, 2023 will be the dullest or one of the dullest on record? Spring was exceptionally cloudy for most and Summer has also been exceptionally cloudy for most, barring June. If September follows the low pressure dominance pattern, and seeing the models agreeing that the end of August marks the return of low pressure, it seems like September may also get stuck in the same pattern. Guess we all now have an idea of what it is like to live in the Faroe Islands!

I don't want to know what if feels like to live in the Faroe Islands though 😭 we better get a 2011-style Autumn heatwave after this "summer".  Does feel weird how we had a record breaking month which recorded a mean maximum CET higher than anything recorded in 2019 and yet the summer feels like a write off.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, Earthshine said:

I don't want to know what if feels like to live in the Faroe Islands though 😭 we better get a 2011-style Autumn heatwave after this "summer".  Does feel weird how we had a record breaking month which recorded a mean maximum CET higher than anything recorded in 2019 and yet the summer feels like a write off.

Yeah 2011 was a strange one wasn't it. I remember both Spring and Autumn being very nice but the Summer pretty poor. I would love another 2011 Autumn! Here's hoping.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
On 19/08/2023 at 13:23, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Thank stained glass window it's nearly over. This has been the worst year ever!

Time to look forward to Christmas and the snowmageddon 15 day GFS forecasts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, al78 said:

Time to look forward to Christmas and the snowmageddon 15 day GFS forecasts.

Won't happen in 2023!! Maybe next year 😂

• Like 1

Posted

I'm in Blackpool for a few days and at the moment, it's dry sunny and warm enough! It's just an average summers day, yet it feels like I've gone abroad compared to home 😎

Edited by davehsug
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 hours ago, davehsug said:

I'm in Blackpool for a few days and at the moment, it's dry sunny and warm enough! It's just an average summers day, yet it feels like I've gone abroad compared to home 😎

The north really has had it better! I've heard so many people say this this year 

Posted

Hmm.... The thick & cool wall of grey in the sky that was supposed to clear by 9am is still there and seemingly expanding according to the satellite. Struggling to see how we get a sunny day out of that imagery but hopefully it burns off somehow and fast. 3 hours of potential sunlight down the pan already.

• Like 1

Posted
15 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

The north really has had it better! I've heard so many people say this this year 

Back to the usual. 100% thick cloud and a stiff, cool breeze.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, davehsug said:

Back to the usual. 100% thick cloud and a stiff, cool breeze.

Same here 19c. 

Perhaps summer will come in December ...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
On 17/08/2023 at 14:25, *Stormforce~beka* said:

stained glass window me ... Open your suitcase i'm coming with ya

Come to Czechia, sis! Proper summer here though a bit on the warm side 😅

• Thanks 1

Posted

Clouds have reduced here since earlier. Makes me wish for a swimming pool in the back garden!

Sorry to all of you stuck under the gloom. If it's any consolation, I was stung by a wasp today!

Could contain:

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Come to Czechia, sis! Proper summer here though a bit on the warm side 😅

Do you have the sea? I'm attracted to the sea

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
2 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Landlocked country I'm afraid! 😂

• Insightful 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Nick L said:

Landlocked country I'm afraid! 😂

I'm not great at mid Eastern geogography! Except Croatia and Serbia where I've been to C and mil is from and current in S!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

No sea, as Nick L said, I’m slap bang in the centre of Europe. There are many nice lakes with beach areas if you want a cooling swim. Though nothing really beats the sea, I must admit

• Like 1