Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - August 2023

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Convective Outlook ⚡

Widespread heavy showers will develop across nearly anywhere with some becoming quite intense although no storms are expected. 

The odd shower can be seen elsewhere however lightning will be limited due to the small pockets of CAPE therefore no SLGHT risk.

20230802_212357.thumb.jpg.af7fd77bbb20a5810b913265384047b8.jpg

Edited by Eagle Eye
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hurricanes, and my favourite tornadoes

Yeah, I’ve lost my hope for active plumes this summer. But we might be in for a surprise in September October and into very early November.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
16 minutes ago, Thunders said:

Yeah, I’ve lost my hope for active plumes this summer. But we might be in for a surprise in September October and into very early November.

I'm leaving the country on Monday for two weeks to join the NW Arizona monsoon tour, so there are bound to be plumes here while I'm gone, because sods law!

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hurricanes, and my favourite tornadoes
12 minutes ago, ChannelThunder said:

I'm leaving the country on Monday for two weeks to join the NW Arizona monsoon tour, so there are bound to be plumes here while I'm gone, because sods law!

If that does happen, we know who to thank 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!

Wow, that's sounds amazing! Has this years so called "storm season"  driven you to the extreme of travelling across the Atlantic at great expense, or had you already signed up? 

I can't wait to hear all about it as it's definitely something I want to do at some point in the future, until then I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some action while I'm in France, there's usually a storm or two when we're over there and it's hotting up just as we arrive 🤞 otherwise I'm facing my first storm free season in a very long time 😐 

Good luck with the storms!  Feel free to send some this way if you can 😜

Edited by Southern Storm
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Ironically, locally this year has seen more instances of thunderstorms than I can remember for quite some time. We had thunder for three days in a row back in May and saw some thunder in June too. I don’t think July brought any though. 

Of course this really isn’t much at all but it shows how low the bar is I suppose! Though last year did see perhaps the equal most intense storm I can recall on October 23rd or 24rd (can’t remember the day exactly).

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
8 hours ago, Southern Storm said:

Wow, that's sounds amazing! Has this years so called "storm season"  driven you to the extreme of travelling across the Atlantic at great expense, or had you already signed up? 

I can't wait to hear all about it as it's definitely something I want to do at some point in the future, until then I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some action while I'm in France, there's usually a storm or two when we're over there and it's hotting up just as we arrive 🤞 otherwise I'm facing my first storm free season in a very long time 😐 

Good luck with the storms!  Feel free to send some this way if you can 😜

Thank you, I think we're gonna need the luck looking at the death ridge setting up over there! Typical! You may remember that an opportunity was posted in the June convective thread by Paul, offering a chance to join the Arizona tour as a blogger/vlogger. Well, in the end I was lucky enough to be given that very chance! It's been a bit of a rush to sort everything (including a fast-track passport renewal) out over the last few weeks, but I'm sorted now and eager to leave on Monday! Good luck in France; at least you'll surely have a better chance than here!

• Like 6

Posted
42 minutes ago, cheese said:

Small storm moving to the west of here. A few flashes & deep rumbles.

E40EB840-1DE1-4484-A1A9-F03C0E683AD1.thumb.jpeg.2252241d82b9dd291812b1618ef38eb1.jpeg

Yeah decent little storm, took me by surprise! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Convective Outlook ⚡

Convergence should force showers along a PV lobe in the Eastern half of the country with a slight north-western tilt with the showers in terms of inland depth. This comes from a typical back edge of a trough setup with the natural hydrolysed tilting of the showers coming from the difference in pressure advection at different levels.

Drier air nearer the surface followed by slightly moister air around PBL increasing the hydrolyse rates especially post PBL with quickly weakening moisture rates. With a NW tilted 850's Theta-E tongue.

This all combines with 100 J/KG of 3CAPE to provide heavy showers and a few thunderstorms. They may initially struggle to produce lightning and with the pulse nature due to the fairly weak DLS, lightning may be limited towards the longer lived storms.

Small hail may be possible as well but weak energy and I suspect a weak to non existent inflow layer, its unlikely to become above 1cm. Though sometimes surprises can occur with these types of setups as these tend to have large LLLR's and more energy than forecasted.

Given the moisture, there is a risk for some surface flooding with showers training over the same place. Also convergence increases the chances of a funnel cloud and potentially a tornado or two cannot be rules out.

20230803_202048.thumb.jpg.645d9448bdd2bfb90c823609e9a9bc1a.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Estofex don’t place us in any real risk today, but at least there’s some. I’ll take that seeing as I’m still on one proper storm so far this summer

Edit: some parts are going to get it though!

IMG_7286.thumb.jpeg.eff19b1208fec0ad88c50b936dfafd66.jpeg

Edited by lottiekent
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Only had one or two day's of thunder here so far this year.

Going to be the worst year I can remember for thunderstorms if things don't change soon.

Even last year had more thunder by now and that was a rubbish year in itself.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
19 minutes ago, Mitch the motorbike storm said:

Any news on this system 

Could contain:

It's a cz, and yes will set up properly in Kent later, might have some lighting around at times, though that's less certain. Definitely some heavy downpours.

Posted
20 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

It's a cz, and yes will set up properly in Kent later, might have some lighting around at times, though that's less certain. Definitely some heavy downpours.

Ooo very interesting I'll keep my eye out 

Posted
22 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Showing lightning strikes inma go chase 

Posted
1 hour ago, alexisj9 said:

cz=please?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

cz=please?

Convergence Zone?

Posted
Just now, Methuselah said:

Convergence Zone?

of course, brain cells would be helpful if I had them!

The trough/convergence zone is quite pronounced both 850 and 700 mb show it. Not looked at hte skew-t for Doncaster but I suspect the predict for 12Z will show possible tops pretty high.

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

of course, brain cells would be helpful if I had them!

The trough/convergence zone is quite pronounced both 850 and 700 mb show it. Not looked at hte skew-t for Doncaster but I suspect the predict for 12Z will show possible tops pretty high.

What Is it looking like where I'm posted, cost of margate