IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - September 2023

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mainly thunderstorms and snow
33 minutes ago, Gordon Webb said:

hello

just an enquiry

Convective Weather has been quiet for weeks , just wondering if anything has happened ?

yea the last upload was in June, I don't know what has happened.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
1 minute ago, Dxnielwashere said:

yea the last upload was in June, I don't know what has happened.

He's retired from forecasting. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

@Gordon Webb @Dxnielwashere

This is all the info we have from Dan really:

image.thumb.png.b3ed2db44f1af63b8a93c23a5168fdd1.png

A big loss to the UK storm fan community!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
7 hours ago, Southern Storm said:

Another push west from this evenings 21z UKv @ 0100z Sunday morning 

If things continue as they have been, we're gonna need a boat to have any chance of seeing a storm 🤣

Could contain:

Just goes to show, that despite popular belief, these things don't always correct eastwards! I associate eastwards corrections more with the 'proper' plumey breakdowns where the Atlantic is pushing in, but these more flabby southerly flows can easily correct westwards with a small change in position of the cut-off low, as we've seen here. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms.

Purely from a model watching point of view, I find today quite interesting to see how what may or may not develop...From a 4km WRF there is some potential showing in the 00z run but the model doesn't develop any significant convection (or precip alone!). There is an area of, perhaps weak, surface convergence in what could be a reasonable background environment. I need to try and plot the strength of the horizontal moisture convergence as I wonder, with a little more push, that could be an area to watch. 

2mdpt_d02_18.thumb.png.e64ce575ddd3b2fe94f6230dcaa93ea2.png sbcape_d02_18.thumb.png.c13febce5a7bdcc995ab411ab6326fe4.png 03srh_d02_18.thumb.png.e41014bfebb35c8cbad7e0f5f46a7deb.png scp_d02_18.thumb.png.31a7dfa4570c46e2ec560e764bd70d7a.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Hmm seems most forecasts initiate everything further North of my area again early tomorrow. Seems so difficult to get overnight storms move up late evening into the night from the South these days 😅

• Like 1

Posted
10 hours ago, ChannelThunder said:

Well, I'm very glad I got my fix abroad recently, as tomorrow night is looking worse with every model run down here. 

The central south/southeast's worst *ever* storm season? At least in living memory? 

The worst since last year! And the year before that! 

Posted
1 hour ago, ChannelThunder said:

Just goes to show, that despite popular belief, these things don't always correct eastwards! I associate eastwards corrections more with the 'proper' plumey breakdowns where the Atlantic is pushing in, but these more flabby southerly flows can easily correct westwards with a small change in position of the cut-off low, as we've seen here. 

No because if it had corrected east this time, it would’ve brought the central south into play - because that absolutely cannot happen, it corrected west instead. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
4 hours ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Quite a bizarre-looking outlook for next week if it ever materialises

Could contain:

Please tell that isn't the cold front not making it here.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, ChannelThunder said:

That's exactly what Sunday nights storms keeping moving west, signalled to me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Summer weather

Isn't this Ac Cas? Quite promising if it is at this time of the morning, right?20230909_100802.thumb.jpg.19578ebf2dcfc22d49febaec9e264d9d.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Lightning, Tornado, Hurricane, Heatwave
58 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

With a chance of this weekend being the last large thunderstorm days, decided I’m going to head on my first two day chase. Today going to target a few isolated thunderstorms over the East Mids, ready then to get into position for what could be a big day tomorrow. 

Still a lot of uncertainty for tomorrow, so remains to be seen what my exact plans are going to be. Let me know if any of you are also going to be out chasing!

Likely that I will pop out into the Midlands or somewhere from Macclesfield when I see storms pop.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Well certainly scope for the highest temp of the year i would think today looking at latest sat 24 image..

Screenshot_20230909_104209_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3b45b36d939c4144a444582f097ca733.jpg

cloudless way south into Spain..just a case of waiting to see what 'pops' up..

Posted
7 minutes ago, minus10 said:

Well certainly scope for the highest temp of the year i would think today looking at latest sat 24 image..

Screenshot_20230909_104209_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3b45b36d939c4144a444582f097ca733.jpg

cloudless way south into Spain..just a case of waiting to see what 'pops' up..

there is a big storm in the bay of biscay at the moment

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Pleased to see this new Met Office warning for tomorrow. 

Screenshot_20230909_105555_Chrome.thumb.jpg.0102ce86813c8b8c14b5911eef140f19.jpgScreenshot_20230909_105611_Chrome.thumb.jpg.aebd93b370490c05061a48098c44720c.jpg

70mm in a few hours for "unlucky" locations? I'd change that to lucky! 

Looking forward to getting out chasing tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Mostly cloudy here with bursts of moderate rain.

Posted
1 hour ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

With a chance of this weekend being the last large thunderstorm days, decided I’m going to head on my first two day chase. Today going to target a few isolated thunderstorms over the East Mids, ready then to get into position for what could be a big day tomorrow. 

Still a lot of uncertainty for tomorrow, so remains to be seen what my exact plans are going to be. Let me know if any of you are also going to be out chasing!

I'll be out locally this evening then tomorrow looks like a trip NW, maybe towards the M62 corridor between Leeds/Manchester 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
2 hours ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

I will be out and about chasing over the next couple of days. I've just forked out on a new vehicle though, so large hail isn't very welcome 😂.

My thoughts are that I will stay local today. Its a low risk but high reward scenario, but that convergence zone looks to occur not far from here.

Tomorrow is now looking more like a trip northwards but still a lot of chopping and changing in the models.

Hoping to end the season with a bang and make 2023 a season a bit like a sandwich. Started well, ended well but with a 2 month chunk of cr@p in the middle.

• Like 2