Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Sept Heatwave poll

Sept Heatwave poll   

117 members have voted

1. 1. How best describes your feelings on this Sept Heatwave?

• I felt cheated out of a decent July and this slightly makes up for it.
    • I'd hoped we'd escaped the heat for the rest of this year. How wrong I was. Roll on next week!

Posted
17 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

Slightly Dramatic!!! 😏, If you never see the Sun again you wont have a lot to worry about, we'll all be dead 😂😂

Never want to see the the sun outside of the winter months when its weaker than a McDonald's coffee then 😂

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
5 minutes ago, Frostillicus said:

Never want to see the the sun outside of the winter months when its weaker than a McDonald's coffee then 😂

I have to disagree about your weather preference but agree about McDonald's coffee 😂😂

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

Voted for the option that favours heat.  Whether its September, June, july or January I don't care, this weather is awesome.

This heatwave is probably as notable for its length as 1911 and 1906 were for their intensity.  Only the 2011 heatwave was probably more noteworthy as an autumn heatwave than this one in my lifetime  (the absolute maxes were lower, but it stretched right into october)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms
42 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

Slightly Dramatic!!! 😏, If you never see the Sun again you wont have a lot to worry about, we'll all be dead 😂😂

Excellent.😄

• Like 3

Posted

Not a fan of this, particularly at night. I'm working out how to gain super powers, if successful I'll plunge the country into an eternal ice age or more annoyingly for everyone around 7C, overcast and permanent drizzle.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh
24 minutes ago, SummerShower said:

Voted for the option that favours heat.  Whether its September, June, july or January I don't care, this weather is awesome.

This heatwave is probably as notable for its length as 1911 and 1906 were for their intensity.  Only the 2011 heatwave was probably more noteworthy as an autumn heatwave than this one in my lifetime  (the absolute maxes were lower, but it stretched right into october)

The duration of heatwaves has definitely grown over the past few years, it makes me wonder what next year will do.

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, Bobd29 said:

Loving it. Six weeks ago would have been unbearable but happy to make the most of it as it may be next May before we reach 23c again. Looking forward to a glorious autumn followed by a nice cold snowy winter now.

Oh yes please!!!!!

3 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Ideally I’d prefer slightly less humid air, but the warmth is lovely and days of blue skies and sunshine have been joyous. A week isn’t a long time and there are likely 6-7 months of mainly chilly damp gloom ahead, so this has been a nice boost against SAD, etc 

yes much much needed for the sadders. A top up before it all kicks off again.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
9 hours ago, S Bragg said:

A week of sleepless nights is long enough thanks.  If you want warmth turn up the heating, if you want sunshine get a SAD lamp.  Most of us cannot escape this heat.

Have you sorted some air con? Or at least a portable unit for your bedroom. They’re not very expensive. For those several weeks of warmth per year you have to suffer through so terribly. 
A SAD lamp doesn’t really do much for the 6-7 MONTHS that I and many others have to suffer through, but hey ho. And do feel free to help pay my extra heating bill for those long months!

8 hours ago, wrightc23 said:

Not a fan of this, particularly at night. I'm working out how to gain super powers, if successful I'll plunge the country into an eternal ice age or more annoyingly for everyone around 7C, overcast and permanent drizzle.

It’s called the Shetlands, you could move there? Rather than inflict suffering on everyone 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal, but not too hot in summer.
5 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Have you sorted some air con? Or at least a portable unit for your bedroom. They’re not very expensive. For those several weeks of warmth per year you have to suffer through so terribly. 
A SAD lamp doesn’t really do much for the 6-7 MONTHS that I and many others have to suffer through, but hey ho. And do feel free to help pay my extra heating bill for those long months!

It’s called the Shetlands, you could move there? Rather than inflict suffering on everyone 

Everything you said could be said straight back at you.  You want constant heat and sun?  Move to Florida.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 minute ago, S Bragg said:

Everything you said could be said straight back at you.  You want constant heat and sun?  Move to Florida.

I don’t want constant heat and sun lol, just nice summers. I love the changing seasons. But you haven’t answered my question, why don’t you have air con or at least a portable unit for your bedroom? That would solve your sleeping issues instantly for the 2-4 weeks a year when the struggle is real

• Like 6

Posted

I felt cheated out of a decent July and this slightly makes up for it.

Personally I don't deal well with extreme heat and had this setup been in July then we'd easily be pushing into the Mid-30c range in the NW, I think from a seasonal perspective it's much better to have one last 'hurrah' to see out Summer closer to the Autumn equinox than have any warm weather gone completely in midsummer and left with nothing but the cold & rain all the way to midwinter and beyond. The only negative being the shorter days but at least there's still 14 hours of useful daylight to play with.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!
10 hours ago, S Bragg said:

A week of sleepless nights is long enough thanks.  If you want warmth turn up the heating, if you want sunshine get a SAD lamp.  Most of us cannot escape this heat.

What an utterly ridiculous comment, seriously?  

Deal with it, or move to a place where the climate is more suitable for you.  Moaning about it, and moaning about those that enjoy it, isn’t going to improve the situation for you.  

Edited by Beanz
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

My vote is very much in the “none of the above” category. We have seen 850s reach over 20c across the south east, a similar set up in July would not have seen the highest 850s mix out like they have to a degree here. We would have been talking beyond August 2003 levels in terms of potential maximum heat and longevity. I don’t think even the hardiest heat lovers would have coped too well with temperatures pushing close to 100F for several days and again threatening the 40c mark.

In short given the levels of heat in the south I think we more dodged a bullet and having several days in the high 20s/low 30s is perfectly acceptable, even if it is a bit late in the day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

I could have also imagined a prolonged spell of fiery temperatures during July had this setup occurred around then. Would have got a little hot for my liking, though, but something I would have likely chosen over the chilly, wet, conditions that dominated most of July. Especially also if you could have guaranteed it came with less humidity. That part I think is the most challenging. Plus, the heat last year did get a little much sometimes, as interesting as it was to also experience.

As it is, the overall bright and at times (despite not constantly) sunny conditions this spell continues to bring has been nice in that it’s made it feel as though Summer wants to hold on. The sunshine has kinda been like medicine for my depression and lonely-like feelings, and good for some, mostly shady, walks. Lower humidity and slightly lower temperatures nevertheless would have made it feel more comfortable, particularly at night to make sleeping somewhat more effortless.

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
16 hours ago, simshady said:

Be glad to see the back of it.

Same, tbh if it had lasted 2-3 days no problem, it's how long it's lasted for that's causing issues here, ie house is getting a degree hotter every day, already 31now, will probably get to 33 today, and not cool below 30 over night tonight, two nights ago we dropped to 28 last night 29, etc.

• Like 1

Posted
11 hours ago, Wold Topper said:

Alternatively why don't you buy an AC unit! Perhaps? there are some whom enjoy this current weather and don't want to turn their heating on as you suggest 🤯🙄 and a SAD lamp isn't a replacement for the real thing 👍

True however they do help those who really need them. Hence why they exist, and get bought, or even prescribed some times. 

Posted
10 hours ago, razorgrain said:

The duration of heatwaves has definitely grown over the past few years, it makes me wonder what next year will do.

Don't know, but if one of these heat dome type heat waves hit mid summer, it'll be dangerous, and not just to the elderly and sick people either. I'd say we got lucky this year.

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

I don’t want constant heat and sun lol, just nice summers. I love the changing seasons. But you haven’t answered my question, why don’t you have air con or at least a portable unit for your bedroom? That would solve your sleeping issues instantly for the 2-4 weeks a year when the struggle is real

Personally, I can't afford one, yes I do know there's a range, but even the cheapest is out of my reach, my fan does not work, it just blows heat around and even increases the temp. 

• Like 1

Posted
11 hours ago, S Bragg said:

Gutted mate 

Posted

I am absolutely loving this spell so obviously that gets my vote.

I wish it could carry on until like November but alas, it’s not to be.

Hopefully we actually get some seasonal weather this autumn and winter and then spring can actually happen next year and start in late Feb 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

True however they do help those who really need them. Hence why they exist, and get bought, or even prescribed some times. 

They’re not that good, a very poor substitute for actual sunshine

Posted
Just now, stainesbloke said:

They’re not that good, a very poor substitute for actual sunshine

Not perfect but could be life savers in a emergency.

Posted
16 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Personally, I can't afford one, yes I do know there's a range, but even the cheapest is out of my reach, my fan does not work, it just blows heat around and even increases the temp. 

This one’s less than £50

PHARMAMARKET-UK.COM

Do you need an effective but economical solution to avoid the heat? Our All-in-3 portable air conditioner cools, humidifies and purifies your indoor...

• Like 1