Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Sept Heatwave poll

Sept Heatwave poll   

117 members have voted

1. 1. How best describes your feelings on this Sept Heatwave?

• I felt cheated out of a decent July and this slightly makes up for it.
    • I'd hoped we'd escaped the heat for the rest of this year. How wrong I was. Roll on next week!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
5 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

This one’s less than £50

PHARMAMARKET-UK.COM

Do you need an effective but economical solution to avoid the heat? Our All-in-3 portable air conditioner cools, humidifies and purifies your indoor...

Still can't, have to wait till next month just to buy a winter coat for one of my kids that grown two may be three sizes upward since last year. Thankfully the weather is playing ball with that.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 minute ago, alexisj9 said:

Still can't, have to wait till next month just to buy a winter coat for one of my kids that grown two may be three sizes upward since last year. Thankfully the weather is playing ball with that.

A Christmas or birthday present maybe?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

I'm glad and very fortunate that we got the July we did, it made a massive month long project in Sunderland way, way less stressful and enjoyable.

At home I just run the a/c and forget about the outside. This weekend I won't open the curtains or leave my bedroom.... partly heat, partly decompressing after another stressful week at work. Heat just makes the day job alot more stress inducing.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.
13 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

This one’s less than £50

PHARMAMARKET-UK.COM

Do you need an effective but economical solution to avoid the heat? Our All-in-3 portable air conditioner cools, humidifies and purifies your indoor...

Those don't work. they're tiny swamp/evaporative coolers. They make indoor humidity skyrocket.

Proper evaporative coolers may work outside if the humidity is low enough.  Indoors, these type of coolers work best with through airflow and low humidity.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Schnee said:

Those don't work. they're tiny swamp/evaporative coolers. They make indoor humidity skyrocket.

Proper evaporative coolers may work outside if the humidity is low enough.  Indoors, these type of coolers work best with through airflow and low humidity.

Yeah we had a larger but similar one in the office a couple years ago

It just made everything soaking wet lol 

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

Earlier this week I resorted to wetting the glass panes in my south facing door and sticking tin foil (shiny side facing out) to it. That helped a lot.

Inside the house, I throw open all the windows early for a while until outside is warmer. Then close them and draw all curtains and blackout blinds until bedtime, then open them again. I have a fan that helps move the air around a little in the bedroom and sleep under just a sheet. I've often done this in hot weather in summer but never in September until now.

Could contain:

Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 minutes ago, Schnee said:

I must admit I’ve not tried the little units. Sound about as effective as a SAD lamp then 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
12 hours ago, S Bragg said:

A week of sleepless nights is long enough thanks.  If you want warmth turn up the heating, if you want sunshine get a SAD lamp.  Most of us cannot escape this heat.

Sitting inside a room staring at the wall with a lamp on you, is not the same as going for a walk/hike, playing sports, going to the beach, camping, or simply just sitting in the garden, in sunny weather...

But thanks for the empathetic advice 👍

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
12 hours ago, Frostillicus said:

Never want to see the the sun outside of the winter months when its weaker than a McDonald's coffee then 😂

Our landscape would basically be like the moon without the sun! 😆 

I know you're just joking around, but absence of sunshine for any prolonged period is pretty serious stuff for any organic lifeforms (which we are). When Iceland suffered it's biggest volcanic eruption (Laki) in recent human history, the ash and dust clouds created by it, covered Europe for nearly a year and blotted out the sun, completely destroying all crop yields, killing off livestock and creating  mass infrastructural issues. This was the primary spark for the French Revolution, amongst other large socio-cultural, economic and political issues in Europe at the time It's all well-documented. 

3 hours ago, S Bragg said:

Everything you said could be said straight back at you.  You want constant heat and sun?  Move to Florida. 

Ah yes, because uprooting your entire life to a different continent across the other side of the globe, is the same as buying a little AC unit (or 2) to help deal with the few weeks (if we are lucky) of hot weather we get in a year 😆

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

It does make me reconsider my retirement plans. There's no way to escape the heat right now here in Coventry with a job,  kids in school and older people  in my life to care for. But what in the future, when I have no job to do, no kids at home and no one else to care for? Where to go to escape heatwaves? My plan would be to buy an old camper van, fill it with fuel and head somewhere like Fort William or north of there. Closer to home, I would probably head for the NE coast around Bamburgh.

At midday today it's 27C in Coventry, sunny 22C at Bamburgh and 19C and rain in Fort William!

Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

This one’s less than £50

PHARMAMARKET-UK.COM

I've got that very thing! It's not air conditioning, though. It's a fan that blows through a 'water curtain'. Takes a very slight edge off the heat, but only very minimally. A 'proper' AC unit is much more expensive, I think. Will definitely have to save up for one though, heat spikes are now so regular. 

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, SollyOlly said:

I've got that very thing! It's not air conditioning, though. It's a fan that blows through a 'water curtain'. Takes a very slight edge off the heat, but only very minimally. A 'proper' AC unit is much more expensive, I think. Will definitely have to save up for one though, heat spikes are now so regular. 

A friend has a similar unit to this one, he has a big bedroom and it makes it surprisingly cold. Many portable air coolers/conditioners will now be reduced in price so a good time to get one for next summer, if money allows

WWW.AVALLA.COM

All-season all-star. Perfect for keeping your cool in summer with AC down to 16°C. Ideal for drying clothes or treating damp, mould, condensation and moisture in the...

• Thanks 2

Posted
1 hour ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Sitting inside a room staring at the wall with a lamp on you, is not the same as going for a walk/hike, playing sports, going to the beach, camping, or simply just sitting in the garden, in sunny weather...

But thanks for the empathetic advice 👍

Yes, but equally not being able to go outside because the air is so humid you can't move without sweating or find yourself struggling to breathe because your lungs can't take that oppressive, dirty, polluted air is also an issue. 

There is a difference between a nice sunny day and this muggy heat we've had here since Wednesday.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, legion_quest said:

Yes, but equally not being able to go outside because the air is so humid you can't move without sweating or find yourself struggling to breathe because your lungs can't take that oppressive, dirty, polluted air is also an issue. 

There is a difference between a nice sunny day and this muggy heat we've had here since Wednesday.

All empathy to those with genuine health issues exacerbated by high temperatures or humidity, must be difficult for the few days that these conditions last for. Sweating, however, while not particularly pleasant is a perfectly normal physical reaction to heat and doesn’t mean one is dying. In any case, the hot weather is ending very soon, maybe some thunderstorms to enjoy before a big cool down

• Like 2

Posted
27 minutes ago, legion_quest said:

Apologies it's affecting you so significantly. For me personally, I'm finding it hotter inside the house than outside... it's definitely humid, but I'm not struggling to breath. Feels like being on holiday in Disney Florida as a kid. Sweaty armpits and shirt sticking to me is the main issue for me in this! 

Is Southampton air really that bad (dirt/pollution-wise)? I thought London was bad. 

If I had the choice...I would choose 25c, sunny and a dry heat over this. However, I'll also take this over 16/17c, overcast and drizzle - as we get that throughout virtually the entire year. 

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Apologies it's affecting you so significantly. For me personally, I'm finding it hotter inside the house than outside... it's definitely humid, but I'm not struggling to breath. Feels like being on holiday in Disney Florida as a kid. Sweaty armpits and shirt sticking to me is the main issue for me in this! 

Is Southampton air really that bad (dirt/pollution-wise)? I thought London was bad. 

If I had the choice...I would choose 25c, sunny and a dry heat over this. However, I'll also take this over 16/17c, overcast and drizzle - as we get that throughout virtually the entire year. 

Not so much me, but my granddad is really struggling. It's just watching him get so bad as the humidity rises, it makes me sad. Nothing can really be done about it, it's his age, but humidity is just no fun. 

And yes, the air quality isn't so bad usually as being coastal usually means we have a decent breeze going, but in this still weather that's hardly moving, it really builds up. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, legion_quest said:

Nobody said it wasn’t an issue though.

What people take umbrage with is being guilt tripped for enjoying the weather and told things like ‘if you want heat completely up sticks and move to a different country’ 

It’s really rude to be honest, selfish and obnoxious. 

I do sympathise with people struggling in the heat (believe it or not) but I try to put myself in the reverse position.

If we had a unicorn warm season (it was hot from like April until October) and then winter arrived and it was mild but then there was a week of absolutely frigid temps and snow towards the end - would I begrudge those enjoying the cold? Absolutely not. Would I begrudge them if we had a terrible summer and then a really cold winter? No, absolutely not. 

I HATE the cold and I struggle with it, but I understand other people love it and I’m happy for them when it actually happens, even if I’m having a bad time.

We have had a pathetic summer and I’m not going to be made to feel guilty for enjoying this warm spell right at the end.

I would never tell someone to ‘move country’ because they want cold weather. It’s super weird to me. 

• Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, Azazel said:

Nobody said it wasn’t an issue though.

What people take umbrage with is being guilt tripped for enjoying the weather and told things like ‘if you want heat completely up sticks and move to a different country’ 

It’s really rude to be honest, selfish and obnoxious. 

I do sympathise with people struggling in the heat (believe it or not) but I try to put myself in the reverse position.

If we had a unicorn warm season (it was hot from like April until October) and then winter arrived and it was mild but then there was a week of absolutely frigid temps and snow towards the end - would I begrudge those enjoying the cold? Absolutely not. Would I begrudge them if we had a terrible summer and then a really cold winter? No, absolutely not. 

I HATE the cold and I struggle with it, but I understand other people love it and I’m happy for them when it actually happens, even if I’m having a bad time.

We have had a pathetic summer and I’m not going to be made to feel guilty for enjoying this warm spell right at the end.

I would never tell someone to ‘move country’ because they want cold weather. It’s super weird to me. 

Massively agree. 

Reality is...our maritime climate is mild generally by default, so not the ideal place for sun/warmth lovers or winter/snow lovers! Neither of us tend to get what we want...although we are objectively speaking, in one of the best places in the world for those who don't like extreme heat or extreme cold.

We often don't get the sort of properly wintry conditions that winter-lovers want, but I would never sit here going "well what do you expect, we don't live in Northern Norway or Alaska. 8c is the average daytime max for December. So if you want a properly frigid winter, no point whining, just move to Yellowknife, or Tromso, or Yakutsk!" 

I don't really care what someone's personal preference is tbh. It's just frustrating when as soon as some warmth hits, certain people consistently keep going "No clue how people can enjoy this, what weirdos, it's horrible weather!" 

I'd never, ever say something like that about someone who enjoys cold wintry conditions. Because it just comes across as really disrespectful imo. And tbf, I also like snow and cold (in winter), but you get my drift...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, legion_quest said:

Not so much me, but my granddad is really struggling. It's just watching him get so bad as the humidity rises, it makes me sad. Nothing can really be done about it, it's his age, but humidity is just no fun. 

And yes, the air quality isn't so bad usually as being coastal usually means we have a decent breeze going, but in this still weather that's hardly moving, it really builds up. 

We could do with more of a breeze, for sure. Often seems to suddenly go calm when it’s hot, just when the omnipresent howling wind is most needed 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

I'm enjoying the late blast of heat for sure, seeing as we were denied anything decent for pretty much all of July and August this year.

Just a shame it's so late in the season, doesn't feel right hitting 32c and then it gets dark before 8pm. To me 32c is very much associated with high summer and it staying light beyond 9pm.

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, legion_quest said:

Some warm and sunny weather would have been nice. This humid air mass is not nice, however. 

25-30 and would have been perfect

3 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

Buy the coat and age ahead so it lasts a few years. That's what I do.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, anything interesting
52 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

I'm enjoying the late blast of heat for sure, seeing as we were denied anything decent for pretty much all of July and August this year.

Just a shame it's so late in the season, doesn't feel right hitting 32c and then it gets dark before 8pm. To me 32c is very much associated with high summer and it staying light beyond 9pm.

better late than never I guess 🤷 

Posted
3 hours ago, BlueSkies_do_I_see said:

Earlier this week I resorted to wetting the glass panes in my south facing door and sticking tin foil (shiny side facing out) to it. That helped a lot.

Inside the house, I throw open all the windows early for a while until outside is warmer. Then close them and draw all curtains and blackout blinds until bedtime, then open them again. I have a fan that helps move the air around a little in the bedroom and sleep under just a sheet. I've often done this in hot weather in summer but never in September until now.

Could contain:

You do exactly what I do inside the house

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I voted for "I felt cheated out of a decent July" as it was the closest to my view out of the two options.

Whilst it has since turned humid and thus not being the most comfortable of conditions, the first 4 or so days of this spell have been very welcome particularly after such a lackluster July and average at best August. 

Even though I'm not a fan of high humidity on a personal note, it is interesting to experience from a weather enthusiast's perspective as I believe dew points at 20 Celsius or above is something we haven't experienced before in this country or at least not for a very long time, let alone in September.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
10 hours ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Our landscape would basically be like the moon without the sun! 😆 

I know you're just joking around, but absence of sunshine for any prolonged period is pretty serious stuff for any organic lifeforms (which we are). When Iceland suffered it's biggest volcanic eruption (Laki) in recent human history, the ash and dust clouds created by it, covered Europe for nearly a year and blotted out the sun, completely destroying all crop yields, killing off livestock and creating  mass infrastructural issues. This was the primary spark for the French Revolution, amongst other large socio-cultural, economic and political issues in Europe at the time It's all well-documented. 

Ah yes, because uprooting your entire life to a different continent across the other side of the globe, is the same as buying a little AC unit (or 2) to help deal with the few weeks (if we are lucky) of hot weather we get in a year 😆

The idiotic layout and design of my home makes it impossible to vent a proper hosed AC unit. I suspect a lot of people are in the same boat.

Something is going to have to give. If this is the future, homes need to be designed for heat and flooding rather than cold

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1