Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn & Winter 2023---2024 Stratospheric Polar Vortex. Events, Analysis, Discussions AND Outlooks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

This new warming or split, very much driven from the bottom up, it would seem, GFS 6z shows this nicely on the left plot, as the weaker winds are upwelling into the higher strat:

IMG_8288.thumb.png.5efbf95b801ff2c232c2741a0bbf1aa3.png

You can see the -AO developing at the bottom in the latter half of the run.  Not an SSW on this run, mind.

Given this profile, I think I would expect any SSW to reinforce the existing pattern on occurance, rather than imprint anything new on the situation?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Stronger looking heat flux evident later in the month.. an already weakened SPV under renewed attack..

73b07f72-fce9-4454-bfb1-c8360955d3d1.thumb.gif.9b80459e5e4bf3740edef51b265fa17b.gif

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted

What are the thoughts  on Judah Cohens latest update?

screenshot-20240105-201153-chrome.jpg

Edited by Bricriu

Not what we want to see to say the least and you would wonder is that what some models are picking up as regards poorer amplification of the GLH...

Although personally i think it might be too early to call anything past 4 to 5 days. Alot going on in the strat ie warming at different levels that the models are still trying to interpret and alot we still dont fully understand about the strat. Complicated situation this science at the best of times 😀

Screenshot_20240105_201153_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Windysun1 said:

Not what we want to see to say the least and you would wonder is that what some models are picking up as regards poorer amplification of the GLH...

Although personally i think it might be too early to call anything past 4 to 5 days. Alot going on in the strat ie warming at different levels that the models are still trying to interpret and alot we still dont fully understand about the strat. Complicated situation this science at the best of times 😀

Screenshot_20240105_201153_Chrome.jpg

Isn’t that  NH set up is the current week 2 modelling which is supposed to give us cold 

I assume he’s speaking about a strengthening vortex for feb into march and a lack of HLB for spring and summer. Excellent 

however, I would have thought the reversals ongoing will lead to repeating downwelling waves to the back end of feb 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Isn’t that  NH set up is the current week 2 modelling which is supposed to give us cold 

I assume he’s speaking about a strengthening vortex for feb into march and a lack of HLB for spring and summer. Excellent 

however, I would have thought the reversals ongoing will lead to repeating downwelling waves to the back end of feb 

You could be correct bluearmy but i took up differently. 

Infact if you look at the lack of blocking at the end of the ECM run..anemic is putting it mildly. Does it have any relevance to his post i dont know but its certainly disappointing. Il give it to Sunday to see if there is any back tracking.

Im gone off on a bit of a tangent here not toally strat chat. Sorry mods.

Edited by Windysun1

Posted
29 minutes ago, Windysun1 said:

Infact if you look at the lack of blocking at the end of the ECM run..anemic is putting it mildly. Does it have any relevance to his post i dont know but its certainly disappointing. Il give it to Sunday to see if there is any back tracking.

It’s all uncertain top to bottom 

Posted

Is the easterly phase of the QBO aiding us this year somewhat.? Would these warmings that are falling short of a major ssw not be enough if it was in a westerly phase?

Posted

I've done this as a separate post cos I am a numpty when it comes to editing posts with an image in. I marked the centre of the area of circulation in the image above, it's way towards the right,to use as a reference point andthen I cycled through the various altitudes. Images are 70 hPa, 250 hPa and 500 hPa. Notice that at 70 hPa the centre of circulation has relocated, but the overall elongated shape remains. At 250 hPa, the elongated shape remains, but there are now 2 distinct areas of circulation, one on the left, one on the right, but the centre of the one on the right is in the same place as the 70h Pa one. At 500 hPa same thing.

What point am I making? None, it's more of a question or two. Is the polar vortex tilted, ie is the top of it being pushed over by the warming high? And is the warmer area to the west of the UK at 500 hPa pushing into the vortex from a lower altitude.Tomy completely untrained eye it appears that the big area of warming is elongating the vortex and then at lower altitude the vortex could be split and the split propagate upwards?

Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 12.28.47.png

Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 12.30.10.png

Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 12.32.33.png

• Thanks 1

Sorry, i know im like a dog with a bone here but what is Judah comments here considering all the signals as posted above. Is it just in reference to the East Coast of the States that he sees an end to winter. Slightly bemused.

image.thumb.png.de9f3605e03a933f33a3d9912d35ae84.png

Posted
1 hour ago, Fiona Robertson said:

I've done this as a separate post cos I am a numpty when it comes to editing posts with an image in. I marked the centre of the area of circulation in the image above, it's way towards the right,to use as a reference point andthen I cycled through the various altitudes. Images are 70 hPa, 250 hPa and 500 hPa. Notice that at 70 hPa the centre of circulation has relocated, but the overall elongated shape remains. At 250 hPa, the elongated shape remains, but there are now 2 distinct areas of circulation, one on the left, one on the right, but the centre of the one on the right is in the same place as the 70h Pa one. At 500 hPa same thing.

What point am I making? None, it's more of a question or two. Is the polar vortex tilted, ie is the top of it being pushed over by the warming high? And is the warmer area to the west of the UK at 500 hPa pushing into the vortex from a lower altitude.Tomy completely untrained eye it appears that the big area of warming is elongating the vortex and then at lower altitude the vortex could be split and the split propagate upwards?

Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 12.28.47.png

Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 12.30.10.png

Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 12.32.33.png

You are looking at the right things - yes.

To save you some work this site may help give a sense of the tilt in the vortex brought about by the Wave 1 forcing on the vortex. This links shows the tilt across the vortex structure vs height.

The 3D view is also a great visibile representation. 

STRATOBSERVE.COM

And finally, an easy way to view across the pressure levels from the Berlin site

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

You are looking at the right things - yes.

To save you some work this site may help give a sense of the tilt in the vortex brought about by the Wave 1 forcing on the vortex. This links shows the tilt across the vortex structure vs height.

The 3D view is also a great visibile representation. 

STRATOBSERVE.COM

And finally, an easy way to view across the pressure levels from the Berlin site

Thank you! Fantastic links. I thought I was imagining things. If the vortex splits is it usually top down or bottom up? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
19 hours ago, Windysun1 said:

As you know I pm’d you way back in Dec that I anticipated a SSW early Jan ….for me it’s here and happening.  I don’t think Cohen is talking about the end of winter is nigh on over here.  I’ll stick to my gins, deep cold landing point 14-16 Jan…..bonus with initial thrust for S/SE in t48 hrs….but that will ease….main thrust remains 14-16.  This strat warming has/is imo currently being underplayed and will have a big knock on effect.  Don’t expect ‘continuous’ deep cold….but 

Posted
2 hours ago, Fiona Robertson said:

Thank you! Fantastic links. I thought I was imagining things. If the vortex splits is it usually top down or bottom up? 

The vortex can split at differing levels if elongated; top down warming can occur which may preclude splits happening lower in the vortex. Tropospheric led splits at lower levels are pretty much what we all like to see - given the notoriety of the 2009 SSW. Rather than top down or bottom up - we tend to view things as either displacement or split events impacting on the vortex.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
40 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

As you know I pm’d you way back in Dec that I anticipated a SSW early Jan ….for me it’s here and happening.  I don’t think Cohen is talking about the end of winter is nigh on over here.  I’ll stick to my gins, deep cold landing point 14-16 Jan…..bonus with initial thrust for S/SE in t48 hrs….but that will ease….main thrust remains 14-16.  This strat warming has/is imo currently being underplayed and will have a big knock on effect.  Don’t expect ‘continuous’ deep cold….but 

I’ll stick to my gins  ^^ 😀

🍸🍸🍸 Party on 🎉 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Indeed you did. Infact the UKMO is obviouly seeing something and have greater scope of data than what we have. It usually seems to pain them to mention "snow" They are now throwing it about as if it was Lapland. 

As i see it now the initial heights will collapse. The next and very potent energy phase as you say could be between the 14-16. This looks like been more Polar than continental. The longevity is the question this continuous attack on the strat might just be the trigger for extending such a potent spell.

I certainly hope so.

Posted
7 hours ago, Bricriu said:

Is the easterly phase of the QBO aiding us this year somewhat.? Would these warmings that are falling short of a major ssw not be enough if it was in a westerly phase?

In my view, this is a very big factor. Specifically the ENSO state and E-QBO together.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Just noting on the GFS 12Z another strong warming at the end of FI but centred on Europe and western Russia rather on Siberia.

I don't like Siberian warmings as they can knock the PV back towards Canada/Greenland but a European warming is very different.

Any thoughts?