Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - mid Autumn

Posted

Models are already making me think colder Dec than 22. Prolonged cold with some very cool looking likely at least till around 10th. Quite new to model watching but think am right that could go on longer. Hope so anyway. Dec 10 temps probs a stretch though

8 minutes ago, Rob 79812010 said:

Models are already making me think colder Dec than 22. Prolonged cold with some very cool looking likely at least till around 10th. Quite new to model watching but think am right that could go on longer. Hope so anyway. Dec 10 temps probs a stretch though

Meant prolonged cold with some very cold

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Dignity said:

Been a while since I posted. No charts to show here but a point I've been dwelling on for a while.

If this current episode of below normal temps across NW Europe starts to become more entrenched, the moderating factor of the North Sea SSTs become so much less of a chokehold on modulating the continental air coming across.

With the reload of the MJO coming into mid month, and assuming the cold pool to our NE maintains for a while longer, could we see a situation where a "marginal" cold spell for the British Isles starts to err into a more colder/snowier situation?

I've only the most limited of reads on charts etc and this is a bit of a point I'm putting out for debate by more experienced forum members.

Just an interesting train of thought I've got going on about where the evolution of this winter might go 👀

I would have thought that it becomes less marginal as more cold becomes established over the UK and surrounding areas which are less cold. In summary more snow yes 

• Like 2

Posted
51 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Yep. I'm not a huge fan of the 06z gfs but the favourable changes happen relatively early on so it is quite promising. 

Why is  that. Do you think its less accurate than the other GFS runs?

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Dignity said:

Been a while since I posted. No charts to show here but a point I've been dwelling on for a while.

If this current episode of below normal temps across NW Europe starts to become more entrenched, the moderating factor of the North Sea SSTs become so much less of a chokehold on modulating the continental air coming across.

With the reload of the MJO coming into mid month, and assuming the cold pool to our NE maintains for a while longer, could we see a situation where a "marginal" cold spell for the British Isles starts to err into a more colder/snowier situation?

I've only the most limited of reads on charts etc and this is a bit of a point I'm putting out for debate by more experienced forum members.

Just an interesting train of thought I've got going on about where the evolution of this winter might go 👀

Well, I always remember that during the freeze of 2010, it just kept upgrading once we were actually in the freeze. 

Yes the freeze was picked up by the models prior to the event but not to the extent it that it was. 

Quite often once the cold is in place, its upgrades galore. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild, sunny winters/stormy, snowy winters and warm, dry summers
1 minute ago, Hoghtonwhite said:

Well, I always remember that during the freeze of 2010, it just kept upgrading once we were actually in the freeze. 

Yes the freeze was picked up by the models prior to the event but not to the extent it that it was. 

Quite often once the cold is in place, its upgrades galore. 

Why are you getting my hopes up for something that will likely never happen 😂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

the 6z ends in a power-house southwesterly

Reset mode imo.👍

Posted
48 minutes ago, joggs said:

Tamara's informative post a few days ago did mention sliding lows coming into play.

Roger J Smith did speak about this too. He thinks the theme for much of this winter could be battleground scenarios. If that is the case let the boundary  be to the south of Ireland  and Cornwall!

• Like 7

Posted
18 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

And upgrades nicely in early and mid range... I'll rather that than  the reverse 😉 

Edited by TSNWK
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Jacob said:

Why are you getting my hopes up for something that will likely never happen 😂

You just never know. We didn’t think we’d reach 40 degrees Celsius, but we did. (Only two years ago). Extremes are always possible and the weather will do it’s own thing sometimes regardless of what background signals are showing. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
17 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Im sure it did the same in the prolonged cold of late November/December 2010...six full weeks of cold...:santa-emoji::cold-emoji:

• Like 3

Posted

Just thought I would share these charts to illustrate the uncertainty, and has a better understanding on what to expect come Thursday.

ECM.thumb.png.4984f6675aa2a6b81e41284336370c86.png

So here we have the ECM, showing the placement of lows within the ensemble suite at 1pm Thursday, as you can see it favours the low to are south so better snow risks.

GEM.thumb.png.bc770fdd867629a30fc62e7105b99170.png

GEM, has better agreement on where the low will be and also still to the south of the UK

GFS.thumb.png.db4d0f0dd63e36180e28a2cbdef30620.png

GFS, far less certain on not only the placement of the low but also where it could end up, but you can see it is further north than the other scenarios.

But based on this I would assume the ECM and GEM have a better handle on the situation for Thursday, the GFS is known to blow up Lows compared to the other 2 models, but what a interesting start to winter we have been gifted with!

Edited by Wilxy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
3 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Im sure it did the same in the prolonged cold of late November/December 2010...six full weeks of cold...:santa-emoji::cold-emoji:

Indeed it did I’ll post the outs from 2010 later- with that notability.current output has all the signal as/ dyanamics for a similar poise.  @ cold extension.

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 6

Posted

image.thumb.gif.ce40b89abb5c9d967d5b060cd6c0c94c.gifto my eye gfs 06z is a warm  outlier on Thursday… so maybe upgrades on snow for all on the 12z and it’s right in the pack afterwards to December 4th.. so that’s good as well

Edited by TSNWK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Wilxy said:

Just thought I would share these charts to illustrate the uncertainly, and has a better understanding on what to expect come Thursday.

ECM.thumb.png.4984f6675aa2a6b81e41284336370c86.png

So here we have the ECM, showing the placement of lows within the ensemble suite at 1pm Thursday, as you can see it favours the low to are south so better snow risks.

GEM.thumb.png.bc770fdd867629a30fc62e7105b99170.png

GEM, has better agreement on where the low will be and also still to the south of the UK

GFS.thumb.png.db4d0f0dd63e36180e28a2cbdef30620.png

GFS, far less certain on not only the placement of the low but also where it could end up, but you can see it is further north than the other scenarios.

But based on this I would assume the ECM and GEM have a better handle on the situation for Thursday, the GFS is known to blow up Lows compared to the other 2 models, but what a interesting start to winter we have been gifted with!

This has to be the weirdest cluster of LP centres I've ever seen! Thu could be amazing for some, although perhaps not IMBY. That said, my local MetO forecast is now showing rain to snow symbols!

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

Indeed it did I’ll post the outs from 2010 later- with that notability.current output has all the signal as/ dyanamics for a similar poise.  @ cold extension.

Nice one tight isobar 

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

How Long would it be until the next shot at a ridge though…

8FA2919D-7637-4ACC-B8BC-7DA13EEB9A78.png

Hopefully just in time for Christmas week the high migrates north westwards! I don't like the look  of the pv there but at least the bulk of it is away from Greenland. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

Ah, heights, 850s, SSTs, wedges, DPs, marginal, getting the cold in, upgrades, Channel Runners, the M4, MJO, snow depth charts that'll never verify... 

Tell you what though, I love it!

❄❄❄

Edited by Bradley in Kent
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
56 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

The control is a belter fir the south - big snowfall 

IMG_1477.png

As South as the Isle of Wight? I do feel for us we literally need a miracle set up to get snow down here? Assume it’s due to the sea? Any experts that can explain for me please? 

• Like 2