Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Winter

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion. Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like some localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
17 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

ECM Control Sunday , same as the op 

IMG_1565.png

IMG_1566.png

Interesting indeed

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

image.thumb.png.75fecd86d1f63977aa2312ca0122ef0a.png

MJO latest..

What does that show ? I don’t know how to interpret it.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
3 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

I really didn’t know that 😬 thanks 🙏 

Since the ECM was upgraded in Summer so that the full ensemble pack runs at the same resolution as the Operational it essentially means that the Control will match the Operational as it begins with the same starting atmospheric conditions, whereas the rest of the ensemble pack begins with slightly different conditions. Does mean that we basically do get the ECM operational running to 360 hours now like the other models if we watch the Control instead.

WWW.ECMWF.INT

In the next upgrade of ECMWF’s Integrated Forecasting System, extended-range forecasts will have 101 instead of 51 ensemble members and will run more frequently than before, at a consistent...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Posted
1 minute ago, ScottSnow said:

Just putting it out there 😁

In my world it shows a  mid Atlantic ridge to Greenland 🤣

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
17 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Ali, you do realise that the op and control are the same ?  The control can begin to diverge somewhat as the runs progress because of the inherent chaos that exists in atmospheric modelling. However, before day 7/8 is v unusual and usually it’s only noticeable after T200

this idiosyncrasy only exists with current ec suite 

@SylvainTV any thoughts whether you could have the ec control as a stand-alone option on the left hand run list as it’s by far the best 15 day output we have access to ?

I’m confused ! 

I thought the ECM op and control have the same starting conditions and just that the op is higher resolution .

Whats specific to the ECM

PS I see Mcconnor 8 has put up that article . So that explains it . 

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
5 minutes ago, ScottSnow said:

Next pacific wave heading towards the dateline mid month. MJO forecasts currently range from ECM which has a very low amplitude progression to the BOMM which is high amplitude. I’m keeping a very close eye. We need the MJO to kick in properly so that the starter we are taking in this week has some kind of main course to follow later in December and into January. If ECM has it right at present then it doesn’t look great… but I’m pretty confident it is under modelling wave progression. Let’s hope the Aussies are good at what happens on their own doorstep! 

Current BOMM forecast 

image.png

Edited by Catacol
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer
1 hour ago, Jeremy Shockey said:

quite a spread in the ensembles

Ghee, I nearly didn’t get that joke!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but the prevailing wind!
1 minute ago, Catacol said:

Next pacific wave heading towards the dateline mid month. MJO forecasts currently range from ECM which has a very low amplitude progression to the BOMM which is high amplitude. I’m keeping a very close eye. We need the MJO to kick in properly so that the starter we are taking in this week has some kind of main course to follow later in December and into January. If ECM has it right at present then it doesn’t look great… but I’m pretty confident it is under modelling wave progression. Let’s hope the Aussies are good at what happens in their own doorstep! 

Current BOMM forecast 

image.png

Let’s hope the 46 has gone this wrong… it shows zonal oblivion right out into Jan!

Tbf, it completely missed the current spell so not going to give it too much credence but as you say it stresses the importance of getting the next wave at decent amp…

Posted
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

I’m confused ! 

I thought the ECM op and control have the same starting conditions and just that the op is higher resolution .

Whats specific to the ECM

Not since the eps upgrade early in the summer nick

the eps are now running at the same resolution as the op (9km) and at the same 137 vertical levels 

essentially the op is now redundant- it’s only because it comes out an hour earlier that it’s used!  I would assume that unless ecm are intending upgrading the op, it would make sense to not bother running it from a cost perspective. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Catacol said:

Next pacific wave heading towards the dateline mid month. MJO forecasts currently range from ECM which has a very low amplitude progression to the BOMM which is high amplitude. I’m keeping a very close eye. We need the MJO to kick in properly so that the starter we are taking in this week has some kind of main course to follow later in December and into January. If ECM has it right at present then it doesn’t look great… but I’m pretty confident it is under modelling wave progression. Let’s hope the Aussies are good at what happens in their own doorstep! 

Current BOMM forecast 

image.png

Fair one that BOMM is a belter - and surely lead to something much colder at the perfect time of year for severity - I can’t remember the last time we had a late December into New Year prolonged freeze - I mean I’m too young for 1962/63 but it would do 😂😬⛄

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!
1 minute ago, Northwest NI said:

Ghee, I nearly didn’t get that joke!

Oh, now that is a good one...!!

• Like 2

Posted

That chart is the tropics. So we want the MJO to get its MOJO back and get into some amplification as it moves through phases. 8 to 1 in December and moving fast to get there it

image.thumb.png.d168ad1772d9c52d0f2a6a6cfa307377.png

Edited by Downburst
  • Like 2

Posted

Fax chart for Thurs /Fri - is this suggesting the low is little closer to the U.K. than the ECM is showing? 

IMG_1567.gif

IMG_1568.gif

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
6 minutes ago, Uncertainty said:

Let’s hope the 46 has gone this wrong… it shows zonal oblivion right out into Jan!

Tbf, it completely missed the current spell so not going to give it too much credence but as you say it stresses the importance of getting the next wave at decent amp…

Has to be a possibility, but anecdotally I have not been impressed by ECM modelling of the MJO in the past. Fair to say the MJO activity will not be the only player going forward, and I am wondering quite how important Atlantic SSTs might be at the moment in helping sustain a pattern that really ought to be fading faster than it is being modelled to, but for our sector in 3 weeks time the MJO combined with a rise in AAM will be very important I think.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
8 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Fax chart for Thurs /Fri - is this suggesting the low is little closer to the U.K. than the ECM is showing? 

IMG_1567.gif

IMG_1568.gif

Interesting

Those low pressures don’t always head into France. Imagine trying to model where a spinning top will go - then change it for a puff of spinning air. Amazing how we get anything of use from the NWP. Anyway, anything is possible in the next week …

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
26 minutes ago, Cambrian said:

12z ECM op days 5-10 shows the potential outcome of maintaining such strong northern blocking for such a sustained period. 

Keep your eyes on that little bubble of heights over the southeastern United States at day 5. Moves up through Newfoundland by day 8 then out over the Atlantic to meet the northern block at day 10. It’s actually quite a mobile setup - for the ridges! There is continual interaction with and feeding off the heights to the north. 

B4E110C7-BBB3-4E61-BFA2-BDE5647E236B.thumb.gif.9331d187c3dbd86f2a1472533a93b7f1.gif

The same wave of heights can be seen crossing the Atlantic on the 500 mb / MSLP chart, breaks through the upper trough hanging down over the western Atlantic, forming a surface high and pushing the cut-off low so far south it ends up south of the Azores. 

59F95530-23D1-4AE3-B3E7-6336570AFC31.thumb.gif.b8c45889a9716484abdfbc210c9a4c69.gif

This pumps up further heights into the forming high, and another wave of amplification heading up to our northwest towards Scandinavia.

In terms of the likelihood of something similar verifying, it’s probably not so much about particular pockets of heights and where they emerge on this specific run, perhaps rather that it’s symptomatic - in that the dice are so loaded from the outset by the northern blocking in favour of ultimately providing an evolution towards this type of outcome. 

Yes you can see the wave interaction with the polar high pressure areas and how it strengthens them, i think as it moves way across the NH its going to interact with Siberia and produce a scandi, not saying we will get in on the action but high pressure to the north is the rule of thumb atm and the effects this can have moving forward is interesting to say the least! Most interested i've been in years! 

Edited by Severe Siberian icy blast
  • Like 4

Posted

Well, the Icon moves the low back north again 🤷🏼‍♂️ not a lot though 

IMG_1569.png

IMG_1570.png

• Insightful 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

Yes you can see the wave interaction with the polar high pressure areas and how it strengthens them, i think as it moves way across the NH its going to interact with Siberia and produce a scandi, not saying we will get in on the action but high pressure to the north is the rule of thumb atm and the effects this can have moving forward is interesting to say the least! Most interested in years 

This current setup is very much a disrupted Polar Vortex. As long as it's disrupted we are in the game. No question about it.

image.thumb.png.f04bd0ac214c943ac4d5713c29337060.png

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Downburst said:

This current setup is very much a disrupted Polar Vortex. As long as it's disrupted we are in the game. No question about it.

image.thumb.png.f04bd0ac214c943ac4d5713c29337060.png

Exactly its alot like my friday nights walk home, lost, confused and looking for someone to warm me up😂😂😂

Posted
3 minutes ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

Exactly its alot like my friday nights walk home, lost, confused and looking for someone to warm me up😂😂😂

Well I can't help you out there as if I give my driver the night off I usually  walk home with one on either arm and I haven't time of a Friday evening to get over to Warwickshire, forgive me.

But in other news the seasonal forecast is in some doubt in my opinion. I am not saying at this time it is wrong on monthly averages, but if what ever is causing this setup we are in, Canadian warming or whatever, if it persists or reloads and it very well might I can see reloads in December. Then we have possible background signals showing possible cold drivers in Jan/Feb. So very early days, but the seasonals I am not sure had this picked up.

• Like 3