Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Winter

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion. Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like some localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted

I’m going to keep my head screwed on for a good few days yet.  I might allow myself to get just a little bit excited if all this is still showing tomorrow morning (we know the morning runs often kill the dream) 

Edited by andy989
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers
2 hours ago, Hotspur62 said:

I just can’t believe how mild the US is by 10th December(would post chart if I knew what I was doing🤣).Is that the effect of the Canadian warming?.Over to our shores and its incredible the uncertainty of the models for just 72hrs and the implications that has going forward to the middle of next week.I still think the less cold conditions will prevail but for how long is anybody’s guess.Fascinating times and I think that Northern England and Scotland may not warm up much at all!!

El Niño… slightly displaced Jet over N. America

• Like 2

Posted
29 minutes ago, danm said:

Crikey! I’m in Lapland from 13th-16th December. Could be absolutely frigid. 

As long as the pool of intense cold remains, we are potentially not far off tapping into something special. Just need the synoptic pattern to set up favourably. 

Thin layers mate and lots of them. WS there a few years ago and the coldest it got was -32. The warmest -18🥶🥶🥶🥶

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!
3 minutes ago, andy989 said:

I’m going to keep my head screwed on for a good few days yet.  I might allow myself to get just a little bit excited if all this is still showing tomorrow morning (we know the morning runs often kills the dream) 

Spot on. I've been 'lurking' for a few years before I joined the forum, so have seen many an appiriation fade away like Scotch mist in the morning...! In all seriousness, I've had too many experiences of waking to see what was looking like a nailed on promising run or set of charts suddenly do a backflip, handstand and double-back, so I don't count chickens these days (albeit I do mix metaphors).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Cheshire Freeze said:

I feel we’re on the cusp of something potentially extreme into December. That cold to the E has been building steadily for a while now.

How confident are you Cheshire from your experience majour cold spell hitting uk and do you think it will be a Scandi high easterly winds or a Greenland high ? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 hours ago, Mike Poole said:

It strikes me that there are 3 options with this Atlantic lows meet cold pool thing:

1. The lows disrupt to form a train of small lows that can slide and follow a southerly jet and track south.
  2. A deeper low gets stalled on the approach to the cold air, and resulting WAA pumps up heights into Scandi (like ECM 12z).
  3. A deeper low barges straight through and obliterates the cold pool (at least as far as it affects the UK).

The third is the only one that carries the risk of fully unleashing the Atlantic subsequently.

We’ve been watching this for a while now, where’s your money?  

Mines on one, but two could happen too., hopefully not 3 or at least not to the extent of the big storms on the GFS anyway.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, iceman1991 said:

How confident are you Cheshire from your experience majour cold spell hitting uk and do you think it will be a Scandi high easterly winds or a Greenland high ? 

Both scenarios are highly unlikely, how many times have the above occurred in the last 20 years?

Posted
2 hours ago, sebastiaan1973 said:

This is some serious cold. Anomaly chart for temperature at 2 meter.

Schermafbeelding 2023-11-30 195902.jpg

For my little corner France needs to join the blue.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Mines on one, but two could happen too., hopefully not 3 or at least not to the extent of the big storms on the GFS anyway.

3 for me, but no scientific reason, just a feeling

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
4 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

For my little corner France needs to join the blue.

Or bleu 😉

• Like 5

Posted

Is the low tracking further south again? Been away from the models for a while, but this looks like it at T+72? Milder (or rather closer to average) air beginning to intrude into the SW. Need to wait and see where the run goes from here.

image.thumb.png.e47271bacd6f436a7442a8b853e8ca54.png image.thumb.png.81633e5e8754e6df2938de99bd712ccf.png

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Uncertainty said:

The main thing is we are now seeing a massive, extensive Ural block being progged. This will, if it persists, cause an ssw in January.

The mjo also looks really good  for a blast towards phase 7/8 as @Dennis and @Met4Cast and others have been flagging. 
image.thumb.png.f566f2d597f0029ef9ecea1413dba7e4.png

Good to see the ec46 have a go at this as it’s struggled with mjo amp recently.

There are lots and lots of really interesting eps members but still no clear signal or direction for our weather at the surface in the extended. We need a lot more momentum to push the big Siberian high westwards though. We haven’t had many true winter (eg DJF) scandi highs with lows going under  drawing in snowy easterlies in the last decade now have we?? Have we even had one? Thousands have been modelled and I’m trying to think of one save late Feb 2018? Jan 18 had one that was a precursor to feb but not really snowy.

Finally Cansips is out tomorrow anyone else nervous lol

Disagree with the first part of your post but totally agree with the 2nd part some reality 

Posted
2 hours ago, Kentish Snowman in Yorks said:

Wow that ECM!  Almost the Easterly that a certain poster from Crewe has been touting for a while.  Fair play if it comes off!

And Dennis. More so in fact. 

• Like 6

Posted
2 hours ago, Bricriu said:

That would be my fear. A case of close but no cigar. I hope I am wrong. Let's just say  the coldest upper air did some how make it all the way across to England, what would the uppers be after modification from  travelling over the warmer sea? Did -20 upper air clip the south east of England in Janaury 1987?

Something like that mate. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, MATTWOLVES 3 said:

Mmmmm...mogreps 12z.

You can see that we look good for cold out too day 6...Take a little look and the clustering goes up towards milder conditions...but towards end of the run we seem to have a little support for a colder theme again..classic signs of the models not necessarily being convinced of it going milder,and more so of how long it will last.

The plot thickens.

mogreps850london.png

mogreps850birmingham.png

mogreps850manchester.png

mogreps850norwich.png

Hmm, will look at the pressure ones rather than 850's, I think they might tell more.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
10 minutes ago, WYorksWeather said:

Is the low tracking further south again? Been away from the models for a while, but this looks like it at T+72? Milder (or rather closer to average) air beginning to intrude into the SW. Need to wait and see where the run goes from here.

image.thumb.png.e47271bacd6f436a7442a8b853e8ca54.png image.thumb.png.81633e5e8754e6df2938de99bd712ccf.png

Yes it is…..South is the word today….North tomorrow?

BFP

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, Uncertainty said:

The main thing is we are now seeing a massive, extensive Ural block being progged. This will, if it persists, cause an ssw in January.

The mjo also looks really good  for a blast towards phase 7/8 as @Dennis and @Met4Cast and others have been flagging. 
image.thumb.png.f566f2d597f0029ef9ecea1413dba7e4.png

Good to see the ec46 have a go at this as it’s struggled with mjo amp recently.

There are lots and lots of really interesting eps members but still no clear signal or direction for our weather at the surface in the extended. We need a lot more momentum to push the big Siberian high westwards though. We haven’t had many true winter (eg DJF) scandi highs with lows going under  drawing in snowy easterlies in the last decade now have we?? Have we even had one? Thousands have been modelled and I’m trying to think of one save late Feb 2018? Jan 18 had one that was a precursor to feb but not really snowy.

Finally Cansips is out tomorrow anyone else nervous lol

I think this is very fair.

We can probably throw 2013 into the mix for this one - far from a true scandi high, more one of the rare sightings of the GIN corridor wedges. But again in that instance, modelling was not interested in any sort of height rises to the NE until it drew closer to T+0.

We’ve obviously come a long way since then modelling dynamics wise, but it’s going to be interesting to see it play out.

• Like 6