Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Winter

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion. Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like some localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
Just now, Battleground Snow said:

Arpege looks much more sensible with the evolution, no over the top low

arpegenh-0-102 (11).png

Is this classed as a higher resolution model at that range?

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

What you trying to say Beka? 😂 😂 

No offence sweety. X I just found bullet points much easier to read than a block of text and it was written to the thinkos like me 😂

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES 3 said:

Bloody hell mate make ya mind up you said a few hours ago that your confidence was growing on a snow event this Sunday!

It's definitely one or the other.

That is the nature of short range weather forecasting, things change.

If I was set on one outcome I would not be accurately reflecting small scale atmospheric changes which significantly change in a matter of hours. This has now been eradicated by all high res models at very important time frame which owes to the data driven and logical standpoint for the retreat. A full suite backtrack doesn't just occur for no reason, it has to have significant observational (input) data changes to result in that changed outcome. As what is shown now is closer to the event than the previous run, it is a little more likely to be closer to the actual outcome than the previous run. This mainly due to the input data being closer to the event, therefore affected by less chaotic noise which means the outcome has a slightly higher confidence level. It is an informed backtrack by myself, though I still leave room for a switch back to a more organised trough.

Edited by Kasim Awan
  • Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

No offence sweety. X I just found bullet points much easier to read than a block of text and it was written to the thinkos like me 😂

Of course I get it lol. Love that word 'thinkos' though. That could be a new one for the Oxford English dictionary next year. Well, it should be 😏. Love it! Lol

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
29 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Is this classed as a higher resolution model at that range?

I think the ARPEGE has a higher resolution over France/Western Europe than the other global models (and a lower resolution over the Antipodes to compensate), which I think may be what justifies its existence as a sister model to the ECM: Météo-France use it to feed the AROME. It would also make no sense to run it more than a few days out due to its inferior resolution over half the globe.

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

I’ve never seen such anomalous cold modelled in vast expanse of continental Russia. The signal from EPS is overwhelming if that spills into Europe it really could be historic I do not say that lightly. 

IMG_0560.thumb.gif.461260f75b54cfef668ce8f9b5915113.gif

Eric Webb is on Twitter hyping up ssw + Cold weather into Europe. 8A196F62-C1ED-45E6-82E5-E5B55363A06E.thumb.png.4b980d6c3b5f31f676d41d674e85f4c0.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
52 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

It's trying ❄ Think this will be pure nowcast still seeing some support for the band.

nmm-1-52-0.png

Met office has it as a short wave, most models showing something. im just inside the 528 lol.  fingers crossed ..

FSXX00T_72.gif

FSXX00T_84.gif

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
1 hour ago, Kasim Awan said:

That is the nature of short range weather forecasting, things change.

If I was set on one outcome I would not be accurately reflecting small scale atmospheric changes which significantly change in a matter of hours. This has now been eradicated by all high res models at very important time frame which owes to the data driven and logical standpoint for the retreat. A full suite backtrack doesn't just occur for no reason, it has to have significant observational (input) data changes to result in that changed outcome. As what is shown now is closer to the event than the previous run, it is a little more likely to be closer to the actual outcome than the previous run. This mainly due to the input data being closer to the event, therefore affected by less chaotic noise which means the outcome has a slightly higher confidence level. It is an informed backtrack by myself, though I still leave room for a switch back to a more organised trough.

In short hand, you don't know, no shame in that 👍😉

• Like 6

Posted

No support so far this morning for last nights ECM solution from the GFS , UKMO or ICON .

The cold lasts into Tuesday for most of the UK .

Still some disagreements re the first low track .

The GEM has a little more trough disruption and tries to cut some shortwave energy se .

I would be surprised if the ECM maintained its evolution from last night but hope springs eternal ! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

So it's looking like milder weather is set to slowly move in from the start of next week unless there's a dramatic changes in the models but still lots to be positive about.

We have a tremendous amount of bitter cold to our north east waiting to be tapped into and surely if it remains there we will have numerous more chances to tap into it again over this coming winter.

It would be nice to see that cold uncorked as we're all uncorking our champagne over the Christmas period👍

I'm no expert but I think there's every chance it could happen.

• Like 6

Posted

00z's keeping up the trend of being party poopers, odd how this is a recurring trend. Pretty much a full house for not very mild,  wet and windy spell for the following 10 days or so from Tuesday.

• Like 4

Posted

The two lows upstream are likely to phase at day 5 .

We really need to see some shortwave energy sent se as that happens .

Will the ECM manage it .

• Like 1

Posted

Still looking good for central southern England the the midlands Saturday night - maybe a surprise for some when they wake up Sunday, albeit it’ll be melting pretty quickly!! 

IMG_1665.png

IMG_1666.png

IMG_1667.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Gfs/ecm 00z @ 144 and the Atlantic gets in. Although I’d honestly await full suites today for definitive confirmation. As the energy runners 🏃‍♂️ have optional modeled routes  which in turn could still have a say in length/ dynamics of milder incursion. Still a pretty messy picture from early mid- nxt week . A slight dusting here from a light flurry around 3;30 am.    Keep watching 🤘

3566A98E-574B-49A5-AE93-BA28C61A05B7.png

F96C14D3-9F0D-4FC3-A97A-DF6A287AB4E5.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

This is a very favorable sync. And possibly starts the notion of wobbling in the upper layers!.. And is certainly of use going into December- the vortex is a shadow of its usual self!!!@ pacific/ Euro  blocking formats..

A0153DC6-7E48-466E-B693-0D373E8B1CED.png

8AF44040-87F4-422C-858A-BB6D7A5A6D38.png

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 1