Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Winter

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion. Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like some localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
1 minute ago, AdrianHull said:

I get where you're coming from being from South Cornwall but that isn't a representation of the UK and the general theme of moving into a colder phase of weather from the 18th onwards. Anyways it's all FI so everything is took with a pinch of salt 👍

Colder yes after the 18th, but prior to it max temps will be in mid teens, so even colder will be average of slightly above.

Also I’m not sure cold Dec weather in the UK can be judged by whether you feel cold standing on an exposed hill wearing a  t-shirt and shorts.

I standby my post, the 12’s so far have been a very poor set of runs for cold and unfortunately the ECM at 192 is heading in exactly the same direction.

• Like 3

Posted

The GFS ensemble shows, unsurprisingly of course, that the OP is almost at the bottom of the ensemble as we move into the phase where it shows proper cold. The mean is still likely to give us a more seasonal feel to Christmas and at least not raging mild south-westerlies, but it's not looking that impressive at the moment. Still outside the reliable though and a lot of scatter.

image.thumb.png.90026ffe08f3dffe918e4ea9f4334c48.png

I'm off out this evening but will do another update with the ECM ensemble and possibly the GFS 18z. The OP runs can only tell us so much - we really want to see more ensembles going colder in the next few days for a White Christmas.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

image.thumb.png.df2c9fb3e19953b0c25a07bca76a2165.png

FGS

Truly hideous from the ecm. Even when Exeter jump on board, ecm has to go Grinch mode. Euro slugfest. 

Just now, northwestsnow said:

There is no dressing EC det up its horrifyingly bad.

The difference between it and gfs & gem is incredible. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
6 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Truly hideous from the ecm. Even when Exeter jump on board, ecm has to go Grinch mode. Euro slugfest. 

The difference between it and gfs & gem is incredible. 

Lol just read this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
9 minutes ago, WYorksWeather said:

The GFS ensemble shows, unsurprisingly of course, that the OP is almost at the bottom of the ensemble as we move into the phase where it shows proper cold. The mean is still likely to give us a more seasonal feel to Christmas and at least not raging mild south-westerlies, but it's not looking that impressive at the moment. Still outside the reliable though and a lot of scatter.

image.thumb.png.90026ffe08f3dffe918e4ea9f4334c48.png

I'm off out this evening but will do another update with the ECM ensemble and possibly the GFS 18z. The OP runs can only tell us so much - we really want to see more ensembles going colder in the next few days for a White Christmas.

Agreed, it’s  not a raging Southerner atm, but It’s always the case regarding a scattering after 7 days….so plenty of runs to go as yet….but for now there’s plenty of ups and downs to come methinks 😇

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted
3 minutes ago, booferking said:

Ec just a day or so behind Gfs would get there likely around Christmas 

ECH1-240 (5).gif

The heights over southern Europe would be a massive obstacle to that. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

One good thing I suppose is decent cold for the Arctic.  IF we could tap into that further down the line....at some stage, any northerly would be potent one would imagine?

ECH0-240.gif

Posted
15 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

There is no dressing EC det up its horrifyingly bad.

image.thumb.png.3e9b28084e7b5c2bf80d0412734ed33a.png

It's what comes after 23rd dec, we already know the next 10/11 days offer nothing wintry.

That EC chart you show, cold is about to come in a couple of days.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

I'm not going to say the ECM is flat out wrong but the way it has the Atlantic trough so far W  144 through 168 is at odds with all the other output.

The contrast by 168 to our W and NW by 168 is obvious.

ECM

ECH1-168.GIF?12-0

GFS

gfsnh-0-168.png

GEM

gemnh-0-24.png

UKMO

ukmonh-0-168.png

Given the discrepancy is large and notable within 144h then I would say ECM is not worth over analysing for now. If it is repeated tomorrow morning that would be more of a worry.

Let's see how it looks when compared with the ensemble mean 500hPa charts at 168 later this evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

ECM ops have never been interested in anything especially cold and it's ensembles and clusters are very unconvincing too so the Met Office must be disregarding it and going with their own model and GFS - unless it's all change for their forecast tomorrow

Edited by LRD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
13 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

I just can't believe how flat that ecm run is. Just look at the northern hemisphere. Flat as a fart. 

ECH1-216 (3).gif

Let it play out

BFTP

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Looks like from T240 there’s going to be some less calm weather heading our way from the nw. Nhp needs agreeing on. Which will impact on what follows.

IMG_0339.png

IMG_0338.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
1 minute ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Let it play out

BFTP

You'll be surprised to read that I agree with you. Looks like the PV is shifting to the eastern hemisphere. Could be delaying what GEM and GFS are seeing. Or it's just an outlier

Don't see anything prolonged but it could be a potent 3 or 4 day spell at some point near or over Xmas

• Like 1

Posted

I see nothing wrong with the ecm, in fact it's supporting the idea of cold zonal as we head for Christmas. At least we have a ticket for the raffle this year and the euro high is most definitely weakening!!

• Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, LRD said:

You'll be surprised to read that I agree with you. Looks like the PV is shifting to the eastern hemisphere. Could be delaying what GEM and GFS are seeing. Or it's just an outlier

Don't see anything prolonged but it could be a potent 3 or 4 day spell at some point near or over Xmas

That will be enough for me if it happens. Then hopefully we get a sustained cold spell in the new year

• Like 2