Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Midlands regional discussion - Winter 23/24

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold

Nothing here I cam see the clouds going past in the distance with the snow though by derby. So that's fun seeing others get snow.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A thin covering here with light snowfall.

Temp -3c

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Just an icing sugar dusting here in the end. Looks like the band has shifted north now so not expecting much more here, at least not today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold

Sod all. not a flake and no frost. What a cold spell

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!
45 minutes ago, Sweatyman said:

Sod all. not a flake and no frost. What a cold spell

Very disappointing! As a 'midlander in exile' here in Leeds...nothing. Nada. The only upside is that I think that the sky is clearing and the sun is coming out, so I might get another cold, wintry day. No point in clouds if they ain't gonna deliver snow!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.
2 hours ago, cyclonic happiness said:

IDK, around here does a lot worse. We are stuck in what people around here call "the gap" where any meaningful weather comes to die.

You watch, those showers will get to you, but fade as they approach here.....it's the law!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Warwickshire is the worst place to be for snow (at least in the Midlands). Not even a frost this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Nothing here this morning and I don't expect anything either. Glad you Stoke folk have managed to see something though 😁

It's been a strange cold spell for us in Leicester. Promised so much around a week ago but has delivered so little. Best we've had is frost, but frost doesn't excite me 😂

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold

Hopefully it gets cold again start of Feb and we get another shot. 

• Like 1

Posted

Can see why Stoke has the highest annual average number of snow days outside of the big hills and mountains.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Another very light dusting last night, today though W breeze, no good away from extreme north of Midlands 

Posted
45 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Can see why Stoke has the highest annual average number of snow days outside of the big hills and mountains.

Yes...I only lived in Stoke for a year, but it was 1995/6...so what a year! Saw an absolute dumping of snow that winter. All a very long time ago now, but it lives on in my memory...! Stoke and its environs always felt a bit more 'rural' to me (rightly or wrongly) and the weather was 'better' too, from my perspective of liking the cooler seasons...!

Hope you get a bit more yet, mate. 

Posted
9 minutes ago, SollyOlly said:

Yes...I only lived in Stoke for a year, but it was 1995/6...so what a year! Saw an absolute dumping of snow that winter. All a very long time ago now, but it lives on in my memory...! Stoke and its environs always felt a bit more 'rural' to me (rightly or wrongly) and the weather was 'better' too, from my perspective of liking the cooler seasons...!

Hope you get a bit more yet, mate. 

Being from London, this place is like the Artic to me. Takes a lot to get snow in London but very little to get snow here. It is fairly rural. I’m just up the road from Trentham which has lots of open fields and farmland, and there’s lots of hills around. 

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Being from London, this place is like the Artic to me. Takes a lot to get snow in London but very little to get snow here. It is fairly rural. I’m just up the road from Trentham which has lots of open fields and farmland, and there’s lots of hills around. 

Snap, I'm from London originally too! I enjoyed Stoke weather. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Yes same for us here in Alton - we are in quite a good location really for snow as we are very rural being on the edge of the peak district and in the churnet valley too! My sister lives in Meir Heath and the elevation always favours their house in marginal situations. 

One thing I find is the difference in the snow row based on the varying elevations of the area is quite interesting. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, warm spring, hot summers

I didn't want to get up for work today at 05.45 but when I saw a pretty sprinkling of snow it cheered me up no end. Even the drive in was nice with flakes dancing in the breeze. Non now though, hope for more

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

No snow here. So it's the water butt test.

2 days ago could only take something light. 

Today a potted plant

20240116_123009.jpg

20240110_140452.jpg

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.

Nice day here, plenty of mid or high level cloud to the north visible form here. 

Some radar returns near Stafford last few frames, anyone confirm these are true? 

• Thanks 1

Posted
35 minutes ago, CoventryWeather said:

Nice day here, plenty of mid or high level cloud to the north visible form here. 

Some radar returns near Stafford last few frames, anyone confirm these are true? 

Will be of rain though. Likewise it would be here if anything was to arrive until later this evening. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
11 minutes ago, MKN said:

Will be of rain though. Likewise it would be here if anything was to arrive until later this evening. 

Yes rain in which it's supposed to be a bitterly cold week. what a laugh ay!

• Like 1

Posted

Indeed...the mild sector is making itself known across the northwest now according to reports.

At least they started the day well though.

But yeah...a forgettable and fairly typical January cold spell for us down here. It's only notable because it has followed an awful very wet period over Christmas and New Year...and I guess it's also notable because of the possiblities that were there leading up to it. But the Met Office always talked about likely and unlikely scenarios, which is different from certain. And the forecasts have been accurate from around last Friday onwards for here...so far anyway. So nothing lost really I guess. Still need a mini grumble though!

Clouding over from the north now. I guess that's another frosty night down the pan tonight. But need to make most of the dry weather before the mudmakers return at the weekend.

Edited by Gord
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 hours ago, CoventryWeather said:

no rain here today, thaw of snow though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
5 hours ago, stewfox said:

No snow here. So it's the water butt test.

2 days ago could only take something light. 

Today a potted plant

20240116_123009.jpg

20240110_140452.jpg

Interesting to see what heavier objects you can be able to put on it once Friday comes. Some quite cold nights coming up!