Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands regional discussion - Spring 2024

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Oliver, was Dec 3rd no good? was great event here, quick thaw but cannot expect much nowadays, any lying snow is a bonus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

Honestly wish it would just stop raining now, we've already had 155mm of rain last month, which is almost four times the average for February.

• Like 1

Posted

Sleet has arrived in bloxwich 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Miserable cold showery rain here, switching between 4-5C, probably one of the worst starts to March in recent years, but for some who has gotten the snow I guess it has been more bearable. Ireland did very well yesterday even Dublin seeing a covering for an example. But March never really starts pleasant anyways, the first half or until the Equinox still feels like an extension of winter or autumn.

Something I couldn't help notice though is how similar the current low was placed to the 10th December 2017 snow event:

qg4OHhnr.thumb.png.bbb23665f909f633e7dca8341ff13127.png1jXsptPr.thumb.png.8c114a5243ac8eb7a1458999aa49efab.png

I think if this weekend's low slided west to east more rather than linger as it's doing at the moment, and the air had been colder ahead of it, pretty much all of us here would have seen a good few cm and maybe even more. Yesterday and today reminds me more of December 2020 pattern which had lows under a upper level cold pool stuck over the UK, and also brought snow but majority falling northwest,  west / south west of Coventry.

CFSR_1_2020120400_1.thumb.png.8112953600bc0baff9b4292fd74a55d8.pngCFSR_1_2020122806_1.thumb.png.94f9367032966b15a234fd3b7252a1e3.png

Also an interesting read on late December 2020 snowfall in southern England but also with 17cm of snow north Midlands near Biddulph:

image.thumb.png.9633a65f1bb9080600135009b365d9c1.png

heavy wet snowfall on 28 December 2020 which broke down tree branches on the West.pdf

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.

Radford area (roughly 110/120m) had some wet snow earlier. Binley had rain at the same time.

Last hour or so has been heavy rain with no sign of sleet. Sums up the winter here. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms☃⛈

Leap Day 2024 Time-Lapse

Posted

Snow at Cardingmill Valley and the Long Mynd this afternoon.  Only heavy rain in Longden, with a bit of sleet!

IMG_0865.jpeg

IMG_0862.jpeg

IMG_0861.jpeg

IMG_0839.jpeg

IMG_0843.jpeg

IMG_0835.jpeg

Edited by Don
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!

Stunning start to the day...nice sharp frost, beautiful blue sky, and - sunshine! Really lovely. I wish we had more days like this...

• Like 1

Posted

Don One of the loveliest parts of our region, something to note in all seasons. Great pics, thanks Don.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

A lovely early Spring morning for my walk.

Crisp and sunny and I can feel a bit of warmth in that sun now.

Plenty of lying water though with the little brook in the fields to our rear flowing swiftly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Now this? This is weather I can get behind! Starting out chilly with fog, then as I walked through town to the sound of the church bells, the sun was starting to break through. By the time I reached Kidderminster an hour later, it was blazing early March sunshine. An enormous contrast from yesterday and I don't think I'm imagining it when I say you could see it on people's faces. If we could just have a week of this, rather than merely the odd day here and there between rainy periods, I think it would help enormously.

• Like 4

Posted

Finally a good day indeed. Reached close to 10°C and probably had a good 7-8 hours of sunshine! Nice colours looking north east to finish the day off as well, more of this please👌

dji_fly_20240303_174522_113_1709487965148_photo_optimized~2.jpg

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 1

Posted

Arctic Hare Totally with you. A real 'old fashioned' Spring day today...and I think, not a drop of rain?! Lovely stuff. More please!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.

Stunning day, warm sunshine pretty much all day apart from the end when cloud started to build in. 

Nice sunset too as mentioned above - and the week looks pretty decent too with rain/showers mainly overnight, days look sunny and warm. 

IMG20240303174326.thumb.jpg.9b6ee0f0be24eb5a5005f7ee0056a33f.jpg

It was also an interesting cloud structure too! 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A grand day here to, Even fired the mower up just to see if it did..

Posted
11 hours ago, SollyOlly said:

One of the loveliest parts of our region, something to note in all seasons. Great pics, thanks Don.

It is indeed.  Lying snow on the hills survived today (after expecting a thaw), so wish I'd taken another trip to them.  Seen some awesome photos on internet today with the snow covered Shropshire Hills in the sun!

• Like 1

Posted

Another glorious morning, frost, clear sky, sun, beautiful light! Oh where were these days during meteorological winter...! Really love this type of start to the day, life can be hard enough at times so to get a little lift from the weather is a gift gratefully received...!

• Like 3

Posted

Stunning day, actually feeling spring like. Currently 11 degrees according to my phone. 

• Like 1

Posted

Yep, totally agree. Mild sunshine, blue sky, puffy white clouds...weather actually feels appropriate to the season for a change! I was in Warwick earlier and stopped off on the way home a Hay Wood for a little walk...really lovely, with the sunshine dappled through the trees.

• Like 2

Posted

Very nice indeed today, things starting to dry up nicely with the stronger sunshine ☀️

20240305_154343~3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Oh, came out of work to a sky full of mammatus....

20240306_163320.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

may seem guesswork, but as a mild believer I won the winter CET comp! suppose fairly easy though, just go for mild! I'm one of the biggest mild winter believers on here