Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into 2024

Catacol
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted

GFS showing it hadn’t a clue - difference at day 10 is vast from the 18z - in a good way 

IMG_2215.png

IMG_2214.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
10 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

GFS showing it hadn’t a clue - difference at day 10 is vast from the 18z - in a good way 

IMG_2215.png

IMG_2214.png

Isn't that always the case past day 5 on the GFS lol?

Posted

A snapshot of the ENS at T162 , clear support for the UKMO 👌🥶⛄

IMG_2216.png

• Like 8

Posted
Just now, Ali1977 said:

A snapshot of the ENS at T162 , clear support for the UKMO 👌🥶⛄

IMG_2216.png

Mean is inching towards ukmo.

Note the lower heights over Europe too, key to stop the high sinking, not sure why the op is constantly near the top of the pack. That's 5-6 runs in a row now.

gensnh-31-1-174.png

gensnh-31-1-180 (1).png

gensnh-31-5-174.png

gfs-london-gb-515n-0e (5).png

• Like 4

Posted

I know most people here wanna hear about snow but this has recently cropped up out of nowhere.this is concerning.80-90 mph gusts on arome and arpege.ukv and icon having none of it.

Screenshot_20240101-051039.png

Screenshot_20240101-050209.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
43 minutes ago, Harveyslugger said:

I know most people here wanna hear about snow but this has recently cropped up out of nowhere.this is concerning.80-90 mph gusts on arome and arpege.ukv and icon having none of it.

Screenshot_20240101-051039.png

Screenshot_20240101-050209.png

The southern half is in for a very windy period, according to the GFS as well:

animgkj0.gif

The above are gusts. The mean suggests the channel is in for the worst. But I am surprised there are no weather warnings, so I assume there is uncertainty. The UK mean highlights the expectation that it will run through the channel:

animsmo1.gif

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, IDO said:

The southern half is in for a very windy period, according to the GFS as well:

animgkj0.gif

The above are gusts. The mean suggests the channel is in for the worst. But I am surprised there are no weather warnings, so I assume there is uncertainty. The UK mean highlights the expectation that it will run through the channel:

animsmo1.gif

The latest ukv has trended the storm further north now.could it be following the arome and arpege now👀

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

Ukmo..you are a thing of beauty!😍

The 18z MoGREPS pressure for London suggests most of the ensembles going for higher pressure in London than the mean:

image.thumb.png.5149193437c493030985540e3a182761.png

The control and a couple of members pulled the mean down. That would imply majority support for the HP core to be further south. Is the op leading the members, or is it wrong?

• Like 4

Posted

The four main models at D7:

ukmoeu-0-168.thumb.png.e5175ce82502e027a101e2b5b5c03d72.png

ECE1-168.GIF-3.thumb.png.4512278f349d131aa281c8bd3425f379.png

gemeu-0-168-3.thumb.png.3814cb0c75c504c245424c28fee3ea5e.png

gfseu-0-168-3.thumb.png.beceaa3aec4df057345e26a22d8c9fa7.png

All are in the same ballpark for synoptic, but clearly, UKMO is preferred, followed by EC, GEM and GFS.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted
11 hours ago, LRD said:

I totally agree that any GFS run shouldn't be discounted but if the boot was on the other foot and the Op was one of the coldest members of the ensemble suite you'd probably be dismissing it on that basis

You can't have it both ways

And before you accuse me of hope-casting or whatever, I don't have any skin in the game. If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, it doesn't. No skin off my nose either way. But for what it's worth I reckon it'll be cold and frosty next week and then there is potential for more dramatic cold weather by the weekend of the 13th/14th

No not at all, except that we do well to remember this isn’t like for like, nor a level playing field.

The UK is tilted mild for its latitude for a variety of meteorological and oceanic reasons and generally cold setups, and therefore operationals, are harder to come to pass than milder ones.

If you assume that 9 times out of 10 the mild wins you’re not going to go far wrong. Even if that is a slight exaggeration it’s not 50:50 cold-mild. 

Meanwhile, the GFS still won’t join the party, although the 0z isn’t as bad as the 18z was. The UKMO shows the coldest set up with the high furthest north (and therefore cold NE winds for the south), and the ECM has gone into a half-way house with the high largely resident over the UK.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, TillyS said:

No not at all, except that we do well to remember this isn’t like for like, nor a level playing field.

The UK is tilted mild for its latitude for a variety of meteorological and oceanic reasons and generally cold setups, and therefore operationals, are harder to come to pass than milder ones.

If you assume that 9 times out of 10 the mild wins you’re not going to go far wrong. Even if that is a slight exaggeration it’s not 50:50 cold-mild. 

Meanwhile, the GFS still won’t join the party, although the 0z isn’t as bad as the 18z was. The UKMO shows the coldest set up with the high furthest north (and therefore cold NE winds for the south), and the ECM has gone into a half-way house with the high largely resident over the UK.

The gfs op once again was at the top end of the ensembles..but the mean isn't as good as it was couple days ago..let's hope we follow ECM route with the high mainly over or just to the north of the uk!

• Like 2

Posted

ECM at T240 isn’t particularly enthralling to be honest. High meandering but generally sinking with mild north-westerlies up the western flank and the coldest 850 hPa temps heading into southern Europe.

Screenshot2024-01-01at07_06_32.thumb.png.16ed1fe03c5d2372f7558edca84eee66.pngScreenshot2024-01-01at07_06_45.thumb.png.6ef0fbb66a38067c55fe0fba581ed068.png

I don’t think it’s very wise to diss the GFS at the moment merely because it doesn’t show what we want it to. It may be wrong but it’s one of the big three and it makes me uncomfortable that it’s not on board. It’s a particular concern that the ensembles aren’t massively supportive for the UKMO evolution.

Mind you, it’s equally risky to bet against our own UKMO model. The ECM, which had a bitterly severe cold easterly set up 48 hours ago, has backed away from that which also makes me nervous about this.

Interesting times for sure. But I’ll stick my neck out and predict the GFS is correct. The high potters around before sinking into Europe and we’re left in an essentially mild flow.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

On a gloomier note - how much cold air is there these days in mid winter? 

image.thumb.png.bc15367122ed6b27ba45fdda59400c45.png

Not much. 😞 

• Insightful 3

Posted

High pressure dominance seems to be the way foreward through Jan. Cold and frosty hopefully and not cold and dreery. I think it shown what a low bar has been set over the last few years that a UK high is seen as a possitive for mid winter where in years gone by it would be seen as a waste of valuable winter time. I wonder if the snow loving Greeks view a UK high the way we see a Greenland high...always delivers..:ball-santa-emoji:

GFSOPEU00_240_1-4.png

ECMOPEU00_240_1-14.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Some consistency from the UKMO after yesterday’s 12z - I had pretty much called the collapse to the UK high yesterday, and it is still the most likely interim solution, but UKMO is better than that in terms of higher latitude.  

ECM and GEM are OK, provided some further move north would happen after day 10.  GFS looks poor, but this is not a scenario it is known to be good at.  First op runs of the new year, on balance looking positive.

• Like 8