Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into 2024

Catacol
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted

Jam tomorrow.

At least the models are showing drier conditions, and a few frosts will help firm up the sodden ground. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, That ECM said:

If you can not see why you cause confusion then that’s a shame. I was trying to show that used the similar words to describe gfs and ecm. Its shame because some of your commentary will be missed due to people scrolling past.

ill leave this here and will not comment on what you have written moving forward. 👍

You are free to comment on what I have written my friend. I merely corrected you based on my opinion. You are free to do the same.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,
12 minutes ago, SnowBorder said:

Jam tomorrow.

At least the models are showing drier conditions, and a few frosts will help firm up the sodden ground. 

If we can get some low DPs and wet bulb temps, it will help 'suck' the water from the ground too. Most places really need it, fields around these parts have been waterlogged since last Sept 😟👍

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
Just now, northwestsnow said:

Excellent EC mean..

image.thumb.png.3bb506cf4a56e0eec58b1a0632209542.png

There is so much going on right now!

I’m only at T42😩 can you send the link you are using please?

Posted
1 minute ago, That ECM said:

I’m only at T42😩 can you send the link you are using please?

Meteociel just click ECMWF and Mean it's already uploaded.. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

As the rain pours down here yet again the important thing the models are showing is a general dry out for areas that have suffered constant deluges.

There's no point getting too hung up over individual runs. I believe the trend is our friend and a cool down is definitely on the way. Where we go from there I'll leave for those far more knowledgeable than me.

To my mind January still looking promising for those of a cold persuasion so plenty to be positive about still👍

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

From the ECM clusters point of view, there is just one between T120-T168 - which is fair enough because there was very little between the three yesterday afternoon:

IMG_8248.thumb.png.1461e7de111aa7f25275205671cad77b.png

High centred between Iceland and Scotland, closer to Iceland.

T192-T240:

IMG_8249.thumb.png.423dfae9a83ff553a12a219e7edb8394.png

The start of the retrogression is still there, most notable on cluster 3.  Maybe this evolution is slightly slower on these this morning, with the highest heights slower to vacate the vicinity of the UK.  

T264+:

IMG_8250.thumb.png.a1e220c2d6e00e261a841ad79b963202.png

There seems much more uncertainty here this morning, and also just at a glance, there seems to be less dark red across the suite.  Less easy to discern the way forward from these compared to the same timeframe yesterday.

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted

UKMO has gone from hero to zero in 24 hours 😂

NWP supporters are such a fickle bunch 😁

All things considered decent outputs,the form horse is a high centred NW Scotland and hope for some retrogression..

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

Hmmmm - now what's going on here? 

image.thumb.png.8d1bd59b5eefc5fe180cc0502942acef.png

Lordy lordy.

• Like 8

Posted
1 minute ago, Catacol said:

Hmmmm - now what's going on here? 

image.thumb.png.8d1bd59b5eefc5fe180cc0502942acef.png

Lordy lordy.

Another Day 10 from ecm. Disguises what has evaporated in the reliable timeframe!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
2 minutes ago, DCee said:

Well that was short lived, return to average and cooler conditions at times with a UK sinking high.

But most importantly much dryer.

Come on guys, what did you really expect chasing 10 and 14 day charts?

Lessons....

Or of course it could simply be that the journey to wintry nirvana is a more steady and measured one.

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, DCee said:

Well that was short lived, return to average and cooler conditions at times with a UK sinking high.

But most importantly much dryer.

Come on guys, what did you really expect chasing 10 and 14 day charts?

Lessons....

If we can get that low to sharpen up in the Atlantic at days 5/6 we could be looking at a better easterly and the ridge pushing even further north..at the moment it's too bulgy it doesn't really give the ridge much of a chance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.

I don’t get the despondency on here this morning from some members. The theme is still the same as yesterday.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 hour ago, nick sussex said:

A poor start to the day with the ECM particularly disappointing after last nights op run .

As soon as any east or ne flow is possible we get this drama ! 

Also highlights the importance of having the UKMO onside which has historically been the model that ends up the deciding judge !

If and this is a big if there’s no further southwards adjustment one small bit of interest . Both the Euros bring a shortwave sw around the high which cuts back towards the se .

Hard to say what this will produce at this point until there’s more certainty over the 850 values .

Short term downgrades Nick but EPS fairly solid again on a full on retrogression with a deep Arctic sourced Northerly.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

A definite trend for the high to sink a tad, but lets hope the initial lift can get the high pressure further north than this mornings model's predict, 

The 0z are very often flat for which i have know explanation for but regardless of this all models have limited the northern limit of the initial high pressure lift off this morning runs.

Last night's runs were fun, and with some credence behind them too so i dont think it's a done deal yet but the envelope is closing. 

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The ens means didn’t increase the likelihood of the ridge getting towards Iceland as they counted down from day 15. They trended to a flatter ridge and the mean upper ridge trended to a specific upper high around n Scotland. If you ignore the noise of the ops and simply watch the envelope get smaller  then what we see for this weekend and into next week is not a surprise 

the second wave via retrogression of our high and a new pump off the esb and undercutting Atlantic trough is currently accelerating in the ens with the ridge into Greenland as we head towards mid month. in addition, the push towards nw europe from the Asian tpv is also gaining momentum. we should be more confident of Scott’s mid month wintry picture delivering snowfall than next weeks ridge which brings seasonal conditions. 

either way, it’s cold throughout and if it’s cold then surprises can spring up. 

this is a good link to follow the evolution of the upper pattern on the eps mean

CHARTS.ECMWF.INT

Nice one Nick.

Anticyclone centred N Scotland followed hopefully by retrogression..

I standby my prev comments this remains our best chance of January  wintry weather for a good while...

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 9