Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into 2024

Catacol
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Don't usually do the single frame in FI-type posts

But, blimey...

image.thumb.png.405c6c5529738584877b5bb56b9b9d5b.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

-12 850s in from the east 😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😍

5D53FFFB-3225-404F-8D97-D0567CF9F186.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Met office keeping the dream alive despite a very late update!

What an evening. Lets hope the ECM continues with the theme.

• Like 9

Posted
Just now, bluearmy said:

Just the deep cold pool missing then 😄

I did think that, but thought I was missing something else

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything other than drizzle
12 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

atliantic high touching Pacific high~?

I noticed the Pacific high edging into the arctic. If that links up then that will be some block and will take some shifting. 

Posted
Just now, Ventnor Viking said:

I noticed the Pacific high edging into the arctic. If that links up then that will be some block and will take some shifting. 

going to fall short this run - that ok we are never happy unless a run upgrades, so 18Z take note.

• Like 1

Posted

Good upgrades this afternoon with initial easterly we are seeing more a cut off high to north this is likely linked to better capture of MJO forcing and it helps with a weakening zonal wind. So we are seeing much better CAA, which entertains greater snow shower risk in E/SE possibly even streamer potential for some lucky folks. I posted verification stats and it seemed to fall on deaf ears, there has been a major slump in model performance at day 5. I’m not sure what’s more fickle the model or the model watcher.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Cometh hour cometh the man. Scott and his 15th 😁😁 Not a bad day on the models esp gfs 12z 🙏🙏

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Unlikely to happen that strong but it's eye candy still. 

850temp_anom_20240103_12_264.thumb.jpg.6524649989c9ef060ba81e0cdde01404.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
1 minute ago, TSNWK said:

I did think that, but thought I was missing something else

Nah - just a bit of fun. No widespread blanket this time but I wouldn't rule out a bit of upgrading from that chart. There is a definite kink over central France that might develop a few showers within the flow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I can’t keep up with this thread this afternoon so many posts so quickly, what a great forum, best around.

I mentioned yesterday we were on the cusp of something potentially historic (these types of charts for cold fans are so rare). Just take this in, take a step back and just enjoy these projections. I’ll tell you this - for any newbies - it doesn’t get much better. IF these land we are on the cusp of something seriously special.

Those dice are rolling ….

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Man With Beard said:

Please, do not even think about calling this chart marginal!

gfs-1-294.png

-10 uppers this time of year from east - about -2 highs ( I use -8 as base for ice days in January ) so powder if anything falls.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
Just now, Man With Beard said:

Please, do not even think about calling this chart marginal!

gfs-1-294.png

And don't anyone tell their friends and relatives.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

W26I8Sm3.thumb.png.5c6169d397535758889c7ae27a5539b1.pngGFSOPNH12_276_1.thumb.png.aa62f270823d0f54f64812dc9e1024ef.pngGFSOPME12_288_2.thumb.png.87e542dbcc238db7a44790c40bf1a21d.png

That is very similar to early January 2010 in my eyes. Greenland heights, trough from Iberia to the Med bringing in deep cold, sub -10C 850s, that would be snow conducive to pretty much all. Lake effect machine over North Sea turned on leading to snow showers, and probably disturbances in the flow giving more general falls of snow.

And now we've also got next week which is also trending to a more amplified high, so we see around 2-3 days of easterlies also with a decently cold airmass so wintry showers for those in the east / south east.

I would make a bet of saying we could see a CET within 0.5-1.0C of January's 2010 very chilly value of 1.5C!

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

going to fall short this run - that ok we are never happy unless a run upgrades, so 18Z take note.

say that it might try again in super FI to link up Atlantic / Pacfic - repeating pattern?

image.thumb.png.9a1b7ed7417c5332889db490871b76a8.png

Posted

Question for long time model watchers. When the charts consistently showing colder temps out in F1 which then come into the medium term, is it still feasible it can all go belly up??

Posted

Ukmo keeps very cold uppers over Ireland. I imagine it's picking up snowfall on Monday and Tuesday and it freezing over afterwards. Major upgrades this afternoon, 2010 is imminent

image.thumb.png.f08e8edef981bee2b665a7a5edf79861.png

• Like 4

Posted
11 minutes ago, Metwatch said:

W26I8Sm3.thumb.png.5c6169d397535758889c7ae27a5539b1.pngGFSOPNH12_276_1.thumb.png.aa62f270823d0f54f64812dc9e1024ef.pngGFSOPME12_288_2.thumb.png.87e542dbcc238db7a44790c40bf1a21d.png

That is very similar to early January 2010 in my eyes. Greenland heights, trough from Iberia to the Med bringing in deep cold, sub -10C 850s, that would be snow conducive to pretty much all. Lake effect machine over North Sea turned on leading to snow showers, and probably disturbances in the flow giving more general falls of snow.

And now we've also got next week which is also trending to a more amplified high, so we see around 2-3 days of easterlies also with a decently cold airmass so wintry showers for those in the east / south east.

I would make a bet of saying we could see a CET within 0.5-1.0C of January's 2010 very chilly value of 1.5C!

I'd be happy enough at this stage with Jan 21 cet or below

Posted
Just now, January Snowstorm said:

Ukmo keeps very cold uppers over Ireland. I imagine it's picking up snowfall on Monday and Tuesday and it freezing over afterwards. Major upgrades this afternoon, 2010 is imminent

image.thumb.png.f08e8edef981bee2b665a7a5edf79861.png

UKMO is lovely 😍 

I suspect there will be surprises and Eastern parts of Ireland will do well..

• Like 2