Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into 2024

Catacol
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
4 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The ec op post day 7 is for the birds as far as reliability is concerned - no point in debating east based or west based 

we have an Arctic high dropping down through scandi at the same time that a retrogressing Atlantic upper ridge is forcing a trough around the top of it. That trough has warm air in it and it will be meeting the fridgid Arctic air being advected south. Hence it deepens rapidly. But the Arctic high dropping south prevents a classic clean arc and cut back.  I’m afraid there are too many competing factors here. We had a similar run a couple days back which went a bit further west.  if this is the pattern then I’m afraid we’re going to have to wait some time to pin it down - whilst the retrograde ridge and trough could be modelled ok, I doubt that the Arctic high would be at this range. 

These are pretty classic high risk high reward type situations. Obviously if it does end up too far west we at best get some limpet cold coming in briefly like a washed up celebrity on a reality TV show.

If we are lucky and the high  is just right, we get the real McCoy.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

The mean gives the general direction. As with all means it doesn’t give the detail. Which I think at this time frame is a good thing not to go looking to hard. 

IMG_0733.png

IMG_0734.png

IMG_0735.png

IMG_0736.png

IMG_0737.png

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, That ECM said:

The mean gives the general direction. As with all means it doesn’t give the detail. Which I think at this time frame is a good thing not to go looking to hard. 

IMG_0733.png

IMG_0734.png

IMG_0735.png

IMG_0736.png

IMG_0737.png

Do you think of the high was slightly further north at 168...and we lose that shortwave,we could even get a quicker route too cold by day 8..think that's possible..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
6 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

Do you think of the high was slightly further north at 168...and we lose that shortwave,we could even get a quicker route too cold by day 8..think that's possible..

I think it’s best to to look in detail up to T120 and look at fax charts to see what they are thinking. Beyond I’d just look at nhp and at the moment I’m doing that with a big 😃

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual works for me...!
58 minutes ago, offerman said:

image.thumb.png.30223d8b6b77a4c555001af7d8c7414f.png

this chart for me is the absolute pinnacle if this could verify. you have a beautiful tilted high-pressure system tilted in an north east lead direction, sat over Greenland, going up into. Svalbard. Then you have a tilted south-western north east low pressure system sat right over the UK and into Germany and Poland, giving a constant feed of cold and snow picking up moisture of the north sea as well feeding those heavy snow showers into wider areas of snow and troughs from the east
I have seen this set up once before I’m sure it was in 90s definitely seen it in the 80s but in the 90s I remember Francis wilson forecast saying when they expected it to break down and it just went on and and then it extended up and the weather was coming all the way from Siberia all the way down in a South Wesley direction from Siberia to hit the UK was incredible

The Ingham Singularity has been pushed back a day to Jan 16th?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Mogreps now clustered below -10 for a while after the weekend. Trending in the right direction, notice the beginnings of a fall again at the end .

4523BACB-7713-4244-8CA0-FBA609ED927C.png

• Like 8

Posted

Morning all,high pressure holding strong Geffs ensembles showing a short uptick in 850 hpa  for a few days before heading south again just the position of the high pressure over us before hopefully the Greenland high takes over.There is some hints that Atlantic lows may start to try and encroach from the south/southwest but all very speculative at a long range out frost freezing fog and possibly ice days on the cards for the reliable.

• Like 2

Posted
33 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

It’s FI not F1, which means Fantasy Island, another way of saying ‘beyond the reliable timeframe’ and therefore unlikely to be accurate. 

A lot of people still erroneously put “F1” on here!

Thanks! Guessed it was something like that. It is quite insane that despite the evolution in computing power, the ability to forecast with much precision beyond 5 days has only improved incrementally since the 1980s. I am pretty sure AI will fix this. The simple fact is that despite the humongous amount of variables, the weather today should be predictable from the surface and atmospheric data available 3 weeks ago. I know that with each day there is an exponential increase in the amount of calculations, but still, I think there should have been greater improvements than we have seen.

However, would make these discussions a little more boring!

The GFS is showing a potential streamer for Sunday night into Monday morning for the South east. Could give some in West Kent, South Essex, East Surrey, North Sussex and SE London their first snow of the winter, and the first taster of what will hopefully be a memorable spell. Unfortunately the resolution this far out is not great and I’m not sure how granular they get. In Canada we used to have predicted radar down to 3km and that was great at predicting LES, and a little smudge like we see below could drop 20cm in the space of 2 hours! Now only 4 nights away, so may be the GFS is picking up first signs of some potential activity. Just a subtle shift in wind could kill it off though, or enhance it. Close to the coast would be a mix, but inland on the downs especially, could be snow.

IMG_2162.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted

As others have said there might be some potential for some snow showers next week but that's probably one for others with more knowledge ..

Fingers crossed , retrogression is the buzzword and the process doesn't really kick off beyond day 6 so I'd defo stick to the clusters  for now...

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

ECM clusters this morning, just one cluster to T168, thereafter, T192-T240:

IMG_8282.thumb.png.a1e6e130f4eef8a08dc2939325ba47db.png

The op is in cluster 3, this is the furthest west as regards the UK.  Cluster 1 differs from the others with a greater amount of forcing on the block from the west of it.  Cluster 1 has 23 members and these is so little variability within it that there is a ‘clear hole’ in the middle of the block where they run out of colours!  This, I would say, is the strong favourite of the three - strong signal there.

T264+:

IMG_8283.thumb.png.3f13af2a97e0e70b423c5c7bb892cfe8.png

There’s more uncertainty for this phase as expected, some scope for the block to move around, remaining strong on cluster 1, diffusing a little on the others, but that’s a long way off.  

Heights around greenland ...dominating all the way out it seems!..lp to the east and South..perfect setup!

Edited by Lukesluckybunch
Adding
  • Like 2