Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into 2024

Catacol
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

3 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES 3 said:

Not concerned about ecm at all..the NH looks good and the ops are just feeling about.

Mogreps 12s and I sense those temps are about to drop again..take a look at Norwich and you can see a more dramatic fall away..perhaps winds swinging more Netly! 

mogreps850birmingham.png

mogreps850manchester.png

mogreps850norwich.png

Some northerly's in there!

mslp_198_ps.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Variations on the same theme is what I see from the latest model runs, this is a blocked atlantic, with heights either just to our north and west preventing any significant cold from moving in from the NE, but cold all the same, or further NW allowing the cold trough to our NE to pool over the UK, possibly merging with low heights to our SW. 

Lets see where the latest ECM op sits in the ECM ensembles.

It all  seems a bit too messy, we could end up with cold rain  instead of snow for many. This ECM run feels like a gut punch to the stomach.  We can only hope its not well  supported.  Typical GFS to not be performing  particularly  well in the verification  stakes, but could  ending  up  being right  with its signal  for heights to wane in Greenland. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Please keep on topic people.

Some bickering posts about who might get snow have been hidden.

Please use the Winter chat threads for this type of discussion

Thanks.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Andy8472 said:

Some northerly's in there!

mslp_198_ps.png

Most northerly or if not a channel low in cold air - full house 🥶

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

If only the deterministic runs and ensembles came out both at the same time it would make life easier and civilised with respect to model watching. Ensembles and clusters are the way to go always for those less experienced or new to model watching!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.

To me the 12z ECMWF maintains the theme of blocking to our north /northwest the week after next. The evolution isn’t as clean as we would like but the models could quite easily turn back to a more favourable evolution tomorrow.

We are still looking at charts that are over a week away. We aren’t going to know for certain what’s going to happen until this time next week.

I do think one or two people on here have been premature in thinking it’s a done deal for cold. As witnessed from todays runs things can still change but it is still all to play for. Enjoy the ride !

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
1 hour ago, SussexSnow said:

P23 has a pretty decent snow event for the South on 15/16 Jan.

snowy gif.gif

Just what caught my eye too!

Please remember individual ensemble members are purposefully initiated with incorrect starting data….

I do get it that they look great on the screen, 
but ensemble members are, as the name describes, used to balance the effectiveness of the operational, and should never ever be used in isolation.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Met4Cast said:

EPS mean looks good to me.. 

IMG_4350.thumb.png.f22c735e2d8daf56790de438aeacde89.png

Thanks for sharing, still going for a very cold N/ NE airstream and blocked atlantic for mid Jan. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

Cold and systems ending into the south - could be a very snowy period around 10 days from now. 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
1 minute ago, Met4Cast said:

It’s no where near as good as this morning tho . Still decent but not as good . Look at this mornings to now that has downgraded. 

3B519FA2-072E-43DD-810C-79CECCCA9683.png

E8F96ADF-0919-44DC-934C-4D645F06A3E4.png

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
1 minute ago, booferking said:

Last nights compared to tonight's for 13th Jan.

EDH1-216.gif

EDH1-192.gif

EDH0-216 (1).gif

EDH0-192.gif

Unfortunately the means have backtracked as well   all be it from a very high bar..   

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

I read the forum before checking the ECM and some are acting like it’s showing raging zonality & mild weather. I think some people need a reality check. 

It’s still blocked & increasingly cold. It’s also a single deterministic run, let’s wait for the ensembles shall we? 

GEFS ensembles were good, I’m sure we won’t see any significant movement from the EPS either. Chill out. 

It's a few deterministic runs across all suites that have lessoned the (nailed on Greenland heights). If people want to play it that way,that's up to them.

GFS,started it last night and other models followed suit today,I see no problem with that.

Yes,you're right the overall pattern is good(not as good imo)but the GEFS n EPS can change also.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, TSNWK said:

Unfortunately the means have backtracked as well   all be it from a very high bar..   

This mornings mean there is no denying.

EDH1-216 (2).gif

• Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

When @Nick Fmooted yesterday that he was sitting tight when when we were treated to belters at day 10.  I probed a little to understand why as i felt it was interesting statement at time reading between the lines and with nick being a pro I inquired why? Response was simply because its day 10.... looks like he was right to sit tight at least 😉pan widget

Edited by Paul
Removed quote as that post has been hidden
  • Like 6