Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into 2024

Catacol
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted

This is the gfs at 240hrs. Ukmo looks like it would go similar. I presume the disappointment with gfs is what it shows at like +300hrs?? That is one awesome gfs run I think

Also the cold pool in 3 days time is upgrading almost by the minute

image.thumb.png.69b805b71193a72f3dfa1edebcf36759.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

Looking purely at the 0z Det runs.

Gfs and gem pick of the bunch at 240hr. ECM goes more Atlantic ridge route. Whether we're any nearer the final evolution this morning I'm not really sure.

• Like 1

Posted

Could contain: Chart, Plot

Long way to go before we reach this think there may be other surprises but if this is worse case scenario things could be a lot worse!!

Edited by Garthvader
Spelling
  • Like 2

Posted

Hi - I’ve just signed up but been a lurker for a few years. Learning as I go along! Quick question - how is the op chosen from the ens. Is this purely random or is there some form of equation employed to select this. Could be talking absolute nonsense here of course.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Garthvader said:

Could contain: Chart, Plot

Long way to go before we reach this think there may be other surprises but if this is worse case scenario things could be a lot worse!!

In my opinion the most likely option at the moment is for a cold /very cold few days from the northeast around midmonth..not much evidence of strong blocking around greenland..so perhaps some weak heights to the northwest then a collapse of the pattern..that's just how I see it currently

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Lukesluckybunch said:

In my opinion the most likely option at the moment is for a cold /very cold few days from the northeast around midmonth..not much evidence of strong blocking around greenland..so perhaps some weak heights to the northwest then a collapse of the pattern..that's just how I see it currently

Could well be the case with more to play for towards end of the month hopefully strong background blocking signals reinforce👍

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

ECM clusters this morning, T120-T168:

IMG_8319.thumb.png.fdff13c0be725b0322a7168faa78cb8a.png

T192-T240:

IMG_8320.thumb.png.883d2f5296de13c3da17aa34432fe19b.png

Again only one in the key timeframe, but it is clear that this is because the model doesn’t know, but the representative member here is nothing like the op run, with a much stronger block, and if this is the one closest to the mean (which it should be) then this bodes well, I think.

T264+:

IMG_8321.thumb.png.a8e0afe61d45ec69084a9aa0d1e9a06c.png

Like last night, a plethora of options, cluster 2 being the most obvious continuity cluster, but really the model is saying ‘here be dragons’!

264..looks a bit dodgy mike..we lose a lot of them heights around Greenland..192-240 looks good..perhaps a hint of pressure lagging over Europe though..otherwise decent!

Posted

If I remember rightly, going by years of watching, this model confusion is a good sign that a decent cold spell is coming.  I suspect the ECM will start moving towards the cold spell after the weekend.  I'd only be concerned if the ukmo stops showing this for a few runs.  In the end we'll probably end up with a halfway house like usual.

• Like 3

Posted

ECM ensembles showing the operational as almost a warm outlier for my location at the end, cooler earlier on 

image.thumb.png.d3f486c4ef81b588284b79481a121b83.png

Edited by Marting
  • Like 1

Posted

If ecm could be wrong at just 48 hours is there any point in taking the rest of the run seriously!!!!!all other models have upgraded the easterly early on yet ecm is still furthest south!!!!

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
10 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

264..looks a bit dodgy mike..we lose a lot of them heights around Greenland..192-240 looks good..perhaps a hint of pressure lagging over Europe though..otherwise decent!

Just edited my post re the earlier timeframe.  It seems to me that there is uncertainty to be resolved in the T120-T168 timeframe, which massively affects the extent to which the Greenland high can become established.  We need that resolved before things can move forward.

A couple of days ago, the models seemed to be in agreement out to day 10 or beyond, and often there was just one cluster out to T168 (in this case suggesting (misplaced) confidence) - now, there is much more uncertainty early on.  Impossible to make a call about whether it ends well or badly, that earlier uncertainty just needs resolving before we can tell.

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 7

Posted

The problem here is we are losing the key ingredients for a decent cold spell, as others have mentioned Greenland heights show at longer range but often diminish as we get closer. I just think we are in for a colder spell of weather, as in more like January should be compared to what we've had in recent weeks then back to something milder.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Matt Jones said:

The problem here is we are losing the key ingredients for a decent cold spell, as others have mentioned Greenland heights show at longer range but often diminish as we get closer. I just think we are in for a colder spell of weather, as in more like January should be compared to what we've had in recent weeks then back to something milder.

At De Bilt this is perhaps the picture. Day 10-15 shows a cluster with warmer weather and a (small) rise in average temperature. 

Schermafbeelding 2024-01-06 091403.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

The ECM isn’t an outlier within its ensembles and tracks the mean out to around the 12th/13th Jan, however at that point it does start to drag its heels. Plenty of scatter on the ensembles from day 8 with a good cluster, including the control keeping things cold. Much still to be resolved.

IMG_0418.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted

What seems obvious to me is that the chance of more severe snow fall is growing for next weekend , as the battle commences 👌

• Like 5

Posted

Sorry part 2. We see a westcirculation.  

This is EC at day 15. Is this a reflection of MJO phase 3 or stratosphere? Or both? 

gensnh-51-1-354.png

Edited by sebastiaan1973
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
1 minute ago, sebastiaan1973 said:

This is EC at day 15. Is this a reflection of MJO phase 3 or stratosphere? Or both? 

gensnh-51-1-354.png

I suspect more a reflection of the vast amount of spread. Just what goes on beyond day 10 appears to be getting a lot more mixed in the ensembles. 

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, sebastiaan1973 said:

gensnh-51-1-354.png

Not quite what the METO are quoting or seeing with their models - with more warming in the strat the weakening of FI charts may not be modelled yet - or something like that!! I’m Just wishful thinking obviously 

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, sebastiaan1973 said:

Sorry part 2 

gensnh-51-1-354.png

Ouch!!!ecm better backtrack this evening because looks like the organisation of the pv is imminent after week 2!!!how much cold and snow can we conjure up before that if any🤔!!!

• Like 1