Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into 2024

Catacol
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
Just now, Allseasons-Si said:

Well somethings got to give because the CPC remains resolute.

610day_03.thumb.gif.e2c76c0795bb07c362db0d2eb46e7f06.gif814day_03.thumb.gif.7013e03c13d80d33a7e2e2fd548d43cb.gif

Well that’s raw naefs centred  day 11 was very strong on the pattern 
no eps included at the weekend but day 11 eps mean was the same in any case 

1 minute ago, Mike Poole said:

It is run with 0z data.  But the 46 dayer is 100 separate ensemble runs.

And basically noting to do with the eps suite any more 

It’s a different model 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 2

Posted
Just now, Mcconnor8 said:

Yes all the weeklies run off the 0z data runs.

Well I didn't know that thanks..

We need upgrades tomorrow...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
1 hour ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

You just have too laugh at the way it diverts the cold away from the UK at day 10..hmm as others said hope it's an outlier

I noticed that the ECM likes to tease us with cold charts that come to nothing, but when a real outbreak of cold weather is on the cards it's as miserly as the BBC!

😋

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but the prevailing wind!

The mjo moving into P4 more strongly than expected and for longer, as well as the the bigger push of cold into the states is likely responsible for the flattening across the ecm suite today. Need to see a few more 46 runs to really lose faith. Nevertheless, no ssw and the mjo in a poor position is not ideal. Hopefully we can get a gfs 12z style couple of snowstorms in first before the relaxation. After that, plenty of evidence for the blocking to return with continued strat disruption and the mjo moving towards the WP. 

image.thumb.png.7c8f75211dbdfb56abb153c7577a2fdc.png

image.thumb.png.5984f02b47b19e6c02a5515e06e610d5.png

The 46 has backed off once or twice in the last few weeks and quickly got back in track. But the sooner the mjo gets a move on out of p4 the better.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
Just now, northwestsnow said:

Well I didn't know that thanks..

We need upgrades tomorrow...

This is why the EC46 run a couple of weeks ago was showing a SSW despite the 12z EPS from that day having backed away strongly from it while the 0z EPS that day was for the SSW, and then the next day the EC46 also did as it was using the 0z data from the next day.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Allseasons-Si said:

610day_03.thumb.gif.e2c76c0795bb07c362db0d2eb46e7f06.gif814day_03.thumb.gif.7013e03c13d80d33a7e2e2fd548d43cb.gif

Encouraging, Quite important given the GFS/EC difference in that key area of low pressure tracking up the ESB, that is where my eyes are drawing to at 168, if that blows up and flattens out the pattern as the ECM main run suggests then it could end up in a dogs dinner of a pattern where we somehow draw the short straw again.

Posted

Will be watching closely on the 18z runs whether the shortwave present on the ECM at around T+120 moving North from the Atlantic Low is there or not, if not then we should be good.

• Like 1

Posted

12z ECM mean is a slight upgrade on the 00z, lowest point post 15th is around -6C for London, vs. -4C this morning.

Edited by WYorksWeather
  • Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, Allseasons-Si said:

Yeh and thats gona be the ecm giving in tomorrow morning😈!!!!!!

14 minutes ago, Allseasons-Si said:

Yeh and thats gona be the ecm giving in tomorrow morning😈!!!!!!

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

What's the general feeling then looking at the models..is this cold spell mid month very much on..or are these ecm runs on to something,surely we need cross model agreement sooner or later.

Looks to be a rogue ECM run regarding a shortwave heading North from the Atlantic low at T+120, every other model doesn't have it, or like the GFS makes much less of it, ensemble pack of ECM also doesn't really so looking good currently.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Still not seeing enough of this for me to get really excited.

t850Caerdydd~-~Cardiff.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
26 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

that’s true but there’s a major difference in outcomes between fleeting northerly cold winds and something more sustained. I just feel it is important to stress and express the uncertainty, recent runs from EPS have deteriorated and it’s not just the OP. Confidence is low. 

Jan 16th… Jan 20th

IMG_1365.thumb.png.b5e2aa0237203140e86c43781111588a.pngIMG_1366.thumb.png.7db0955e8f80dc103c9653cdf7d24c89.png

The second one just spells battle ground to me, greenland still warm and Europe still cold. Its 14 days away lol

Posted
5 minutes ago, Mcconnor8 said:

Looks to be a rogue ECM run regarding a shortwave heading North from the Atlantic low at T+120, every other model doesn't have it, or like the GFS makes much less of it, ensemble pack of ECM also doesn't really so looking good currently.

The gfs temp panels through the 10-15 period show an increasing number of members along the same limes as the ecm. Oh suffering succotash

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, knocker said:

The gfs temp panels through the 10-15 period show an increasing number of members along the same limes as the ecm.

Yeah a few lemons in there for sure

Posted
1 minute ago, knocker said:

The gfs temp panels through the 10-15 period show an increasing number of members along the same limes as the ecm.

The ECM det run never got the cold in to begin with, by day 9 only 2/3 of the 30 member GFS ensemble failed to do so so not really any support for the ECM run within them, evolutions post day 10 temp wise in the GEFS I'm not paying much attention to yet until the initial evolution is sorted out.

Posted
9 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

After the good response to the above post, I decided that (as opposed to the best values above), I would produce an average expectation as to what the CET might be from both the UK 850's and the 'Source' 850's. IF IT WAS POSSIBLE...

Before I present any results I think people need to understand the restrictions -

1) The cold weather investigated had to be at least a 5 day spell of cold temperatures from the CET record and not to average above 0C.

2) as stated above data for the 850's was taken from the Meteorciel Renalysis charts either north of Iceland (for Greenies or a straight northerly) and Moscow for either Scandies or Russian  cold.

3) To match up roughly with the CET, I used 850's from 20 miles within the UK coastline, hence eliminating extreme Scandy highs in the North Sea, etc.

4) The CET  was the average of the 5 days or more of the event, and  if extended or repeated in the same month/year would show as separate events. Thus 1962 - 63 has 3 events (one for Dec, one for Jan and one for February).

It looked a reasonable simple task with 4 events for Nov,  31 for December, 33 for January, 30 events for February and 4 for March, in the database.

I discarded the November and March data as they were few in number  and had occurred mainly in the last 50 years . Why has this started to happen?

Also it was clear that the heat of the sun was a factor.

So the total number of events in my database was 94 - a reasonable sized data repository.

So fairly obvious (I thought) was to plot the 850 against CET  -          but this produced spaghetti.

So I repeated by month and it gave some results which showed that cold in December was better from the 850;s , than January, however  they were both  in  the main much colder CET wise  than February.   HOWEVER,  there were 2 events in early February which were exceptional (vis 1/2/56 CET 4.08C, and 5/2/1895 CET 4.81C) which were brutal. They both had severe Arctic  blizzard outbreaks before clear skies moved in from the East allowed the night time temps to plummet for several days.. 

So turned to compare the 'Source 850's' against the CET.

Immediately it was obvious that a better linear pattern was present for 85 of the events, with some sticking out above  (the Feb ones above), and some below - which all turned out to near UK based highs -  where the cold temps had built up 'in situ'  with high/medium  850's, which hadn't changed much.

However,  for the vast majority of cases the linear fit was -4.5C for -30C for Source 850's -  at the top of the range;   to +0C  CET for an -4.C Source 850 at the lower end of the range.  The above straight line graph also includes values  of about +/- 0.75C CET  on either side for each 850 of Source cold for the distribution.

To help a bit I have produced the below table of the straight line graph.

Source 850        -30C       -25C       -20C         -15C         -10C            -5C              0C

CET                    -4.6C      -3.8C      -2.9C         -2.0C        -1.2C         -0.4C            +0.5C

Please remember that values can be increased or decreased by about 0.75C from these valued depending upon factors like cloud and wind, over the UK, which can change the average position.

The most extreme position I have heard of was in the 17th century when a 50 mph blizzard directly from Siberia kept the temps around -10C for 3 days solid in SE England, whilst the rest of us 'boiled'  in -6C CET's..  Must have been some watch!!! Pity we didn't have N.W.  in those days.

The above are only intended to be a guide,     possibly for the less experienced.

!I hope you will find these useful many times in the future, and lets hope for top quality weather watching  this year.

MIA                              

Was the one you mean from the 17th century 1683/4?

That was the year with the most famous of the Thames frost fairs, and one in Leeds on the River Aire. Allegedly cold enough for English oak trees to explode in the cold, and sea ice to form in the Channel. I have no idea what the temperature must have got to, but I wonder if that winter might have achieved -30C at the surface.

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, knocker said:

It's rare a cold spell wouldn't have a relaxation period.  I wouldn't  be concerned about that  really. Although you being a mild lover might hope for it:)

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Shabby they are not- but highlighting the ec’s not wanting -clear cut routes!!… 

8EC872F6-00DD-43BD-BCF4-0B58A793E0D3.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
6 minutes ago, knocker said:

Would that not be expected if lows are to approach from the west, south west? Some getting all the way through, some not making it and some sliding underneath the cold? I’d appreciate your thoughts as I respect your analysis.👍

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!
12 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

What's the general feeling then looking at the models..is this cold spell mid month very much on..or are these ecm runs on to something,surely we need cross model agreement sooner or later.

It’s 10 days away, you won’t get cross model agreement at that range.

• Like 1

Posted

Well now we have at T228 

GEPS                                                             GFS                                                               EPS

image.thumb.png.de65d1d0902cd74769450621effcec0f.png   image.thumb.png.d2027023feda1a00e7ebb8f1bb0be0e7.png  image.thumb.png.b67c8d37a34f6a21fcc1e73964833b55.png

image.thumb.png.51f88be162cff6899642e6be39398548.png

This looks ok in general. The geps are incredibly consistent whilst the eps are already showing signs of losing the amplification to our west. 

there is no doubt that compared to three days ago, the output for this date has slipped on the eps.  Whilst a few days ago we had some posters commenting that we were possibly on the cusp of a prolonged deeply cold period, that view will have undoubtedly changed now.

my view is that I really hope we can get something white on the ground across large parts of the country before this flattens out.

we shouldn’t be surprised to see the nwp showing inconsistencies given the upper strat reversal ongoing and it’s ebb and flow. 

i really hope we get some cross model agreement by Monday on the push sw of low heights, irrespective of the result. then we can at least know how much attention to give to the output! 

• Like 6