Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into 2024

Catacol
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
7 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Thats the thing of course, I don't want us to have to rely on an Arctic high to help get the job done, fickle beasts that are often poorly modelled. I'd rather the Atlantic profile was good enough to get the job done first time, even if it does mean to start with its a lower risk of big snowfalls.

No one wants to rely on the Arctic high being modelled correctly; as you say, it is tough to pindown post-D8. But on this run, from D8, it was a big help, with a good axis (N/S) forcing the trough south towards Scandi and sending that cold air to block the westerly push:

animjrp5.gif

When the axis changes to E/W later in the run (see above), we see that it becomes a hindrance, forcing the tPV towards Canada. A signal from the mean lately. Lots of puzzle pieces, from shortwaves to Pacific ridging to Arctic highs, to split-energy, to favourable wedges!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 3

Posted

Gefs around days 8/9 not as good as the 06z with the amplitude upstream nor the trough downstream- but more than acceptable 

higher heights Arctic  n of canada - which could mean many things as the run progresses 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, bluearmy said:

Gefs around days 8/9 not as good as the 06z with the amplitude upstream nor the trough downstream- but more than acceptable 

higher heights Arctic  n of canada - which could mean many things as the run progresses 

Hopefully a change that the op is picking up on - where as the GEM and UKMO have already got it worked out. The ECM has been a party pooper for a week, if that follows either the GEM or UKMO we’ll be laughing 🥶

Posted

Tomorrows ECM 12z says 'HOLD MY BEER'

As far as I remember from the charts and as a poster has mentioned above, we were always looking at around the 14th/15th for any real cold spell to materialize once the HP had set in place.

Flip flopping is something we are used to, just like disappointment, so let's not get ahead of ourselves just in case the usual happens and somehow a more zonal pattern takes hold.

• Like 2

Posted
25 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Well, so far, only from a learning perspective, as not one single snowflake has yet fallen for many of us.

Hahaha! Never a truer word said let’s come back to this in 10 days time then. 
Deal? 😂💪

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual works for me...!

Is this what was referred to earlier this afternoon as “…the South East event tomorrow”..? 🙄

IMG_0089.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
Just now, IanT said:

Is this what was referred to earlier this afternoon as “…the South East event tomorrow”..? 🙄

IMG_0089.jpeg

i wasn't aware that patchy sleet was a weather event these days.😂

• Like 7

Posted
6 minutes ago, IDO said:

No one wants to rely on the Arctic high being modelled correctly; as you say, it is tough to pindown post-D8. But on this run, from D8, it was a big help, with a good axis (N/S) forcing the trough south towards Scandi and sending that cold air to block the westerly push:

animjrp5.gif

When the axis changes to E/W later in the run (see above), we see that it becomes a hindrance, forcing the tPV towards Canada. A signal from the mean lately. Lots of puzzle pieces, from shortwaves to Pacific ridging to Arctic highs, to split-energy, to favourable wedges!

As long as we can keep the Arctic high in place to some extent we are always going to be in with a shout that it forces things more favourably for us, I suppose as a veteran of 20 years now I'm a little battle weary when it comes to Arctic highs playing a good role, I've literally seen it a handful of times work out (of course when it does, it tends to make things very tasty).

Either way, the models tonight are overall very good still, and if the worst case is a frosty high, then compared to the last month I'll gladly accept it.

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Spah1 said:

Completely disagree. 

Getting low and high on each run is part of the fun. Imagine if the models verified 100% from day 10 this forum wouldn’t exist. 

Should we not follow our football teams highs and lors of the season and just look at the league table at the end of the season? 

From an emotional and passion perspective yeah I agree and I’m a cold lover and love the rollercoaster just as much as you do!

But from a scientific perspective and this is a science at the end of the day I’d disagree as it’s harder to maintain a calm rational head and makes it confusing for newbies us who are trying to learn the science. Plus it’s plain wrong to assume every operational run is correct it’s better to start with means and ensembles and look for any change in direction in them. 

All just my opinion of course! You have yours and I respect it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual works for me...!
3 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Deal? 😂💪

🔔🔔🔔🧑‍⚖️🧑‍⚖️🧑‍⚖️You’ve got 8 days @Scott Ingham

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
5 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Deal? 😂💪

Absolutely.  

Seriously though, I maintain confidence that this winter will deliver - it was always more likely to be in the second half, just given ENSO and eQBO combination.

• Like 4

Posted

ECM 12z will be one of the most crucial runs so far - critically important we see a movement. Buckle up folks 😬😬

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
17 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

better run a marathon then 😀

Or turn into Forrest Gump! 👍

But at least the GFS 12Z doesn't predict a full-blown zonal onslaught: :cold-emoji:

T+120: image.thumb.png.cab50091edb265871388fad99e9c8d34.png   image.thumb.png.c43dca1117a659a9262ee6a236e6f7bd.png

T+240: image.thumb.png.c1a4d08f337082a16bc30c26748910f5.png   image.thumb.png.da39f1ef24208ea01e259c756906b41c.png

T+384: image.thumb.png.0b9f8f51fbffd73a765cfc34fca41332.png   image.thumb.png.5a9df7f88389a0f2596b125a4b1acacc.png

Anyway --  my vindaloo's going down well! 🥵

• Like 9

Posted

The 12z geps eject the n Atlantic ridge rapidly through to the pacific side days 10/12. Leaves us in a cold/cool zonal pattern 

1 minute ago, Daniel* said:

ECM 12z will be one of the most crucial runs so far - critically important we see a movement. Buckle up folks 😬😬

People say this every day 

the eps suite is more important than the op days 8/10. The op is important days 5/8. We want to see if settle down in line with the Ukmo and gem 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

0.5mm of sleet is now headline news on the radio with one pundit asking us to look out for vulnerable neighbours & relatives!

Apparently a ‘severe’ spell of weather is incoming. I mean, I ask you. 🤣

in the meantime GFS Op maintains the cold throughout the entire run. Noteworthy but hardly ‘severe’.

image.thumb.png.e6a70034784bd3a6e61428a7fa6a8779.png

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Have to agree daniel..hasn't fancied it for days now,but looking at the gem I'm expecting something half decent

Posted
5 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The 12z geps eject the n Atlantic ridge rapidly through to the pacific side days 10/12. Leaves us in a cold/cool zonal pattern 

People say this every day 

the eps suite is more important than the op days 8/10. The op is important days 5/8. We want to see if settle down in line with the Ukmo and gem 

This is the most sensible post today, if anyone is new to this game that last paragraph from Blue is really excellent advice. The eps suite btw up to now is very good! We’d take it any winter!

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, IanT said:

IMG_0089.jpeg

Yes, because we know computer models model shower activity perfectly.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Deal? 😂💪

I can vouch for that not one single flake in this south Eastern corner. 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, PiscesStar said:

I can vouch for that not one single flake in this south Eastern corner. 

You have a chance of maybe 11 flakes tomorrow

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1