Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into 2024

Catacol
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
28 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

I agree 

That system forms out of a shortwave s of Iceland - barely has its origins in the Arctic.  Can’t recall the last proper polar low we’ve actually seen 

2015? Jan or Feb, hard to recall. Formed off West Coast of Scotland and travelled SE, the buzz that night was incredible.

Edited by Snowman.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
29 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

I agree 

That system forms out of a shortwave s of Iceland - barely has its origins in the Arctic.  Can’t recall the last proper polar low we’ve actually seen 

Do you remember the one in 2002/3 one Jan afternoon it swept south bought mayhem to midlands south rushour

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, Lukesluckybunch said:

ICON looks lovely at 120..a shift west with the high..not as much lagging over Europe

Yes more scope for the high to be sucked up and link with the Pacific high as per gem showed.

Just day 5 now

iconnh-0-120 (10).png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
1 minute ago, sheikhy said:

THE greatest rain to to thundersnow event ever to this day for me!!if that is the one you are on about!!!!was like a wall of snow coming towards me that afternoon after ot started as rain!!!!got close to 10 cms in couple of hours!!!!!

Me in redditch at the time had about 2 inches that froze immediately after and we had mint sledging the next day i was about 21 so 19 years ago

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Here's the 2011 polar low on a chart. It's an offshoot of a main depression on this occasion (don't know if that's typical) and it formed in the Greenland Sea.

IMG_3754.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

Posted
Just now, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

Me in redditch at the time had about 2 inches that froze immediately after and we had mint sledging the next day i was about 21 so 19 years ago

It was a beauty i tell ya!!!!!had lovely glittery frosted snow on the ground the next day with the blue sky sunshine!!looked stunning!!!!

• Like 6

Posted
4 minutes ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

Do you remember the one in 2002/3 one Jan afternoon it swept south bought mayhem to midlands south rushour

This one? 

Not sure it was a polar low though 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, FetchCB said:

This one? 

Not sure it was a polar low though 

I think the one you posted is a different event!!the one you have posted is when the m11 got crippled im pretty sure🤔

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!
36 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Bit mild by midday, though.

IMG_3522.jpeg

WINTER IS OVER!! 😉

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

OK i know i started the polar low story from the Ec control but let's not go down the polar low history😉

Not much in the ICON IMO but the one thing i see is a more squashed neg tilted low in the Atlantic allowing heights to migrate west better.

iconnh-0-120.thumb.png.76707eed469cfd7d90787c3c39a952c7.pngiconnh-0-126.thumb.png.2e687fb58aac6ae2b06576eb2c3237a5.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
6 minutes ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

Wasn't that Jan 2004, Birmingham came to as big a standstill as 7th feb 1991 when it was an inch or 2 as opposed to not far off a foot.

wasn't the last one Jan 2015?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
12 minutes ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

Is that the one that started as rain for a few minutes then boom, snowmaggedon ?

• Like 3

Posted
12 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

I think the one you posted is a different event!!the one you have posted is when the m11 got crippled im pretty sure🤔

The M11 'event' was unprecedented 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
19 minutes ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

was it not 28th Jan 2004? my location didn't do so well, not much luck with that one

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winter, Hot Summer
1 hour ago, Allseasons-Si said:

Ec control throws a polar low in the mix🙂

gensnh-0-1-282.thumb.png.9f9bd87bebb3637928c39fd4ca4ee7a9.png

Once again... That is not a polar low

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
32 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

THE greatest rain to to thundersnow event ever to this day for me!!if that is the one you are on about!!!!was like a wall of snow coming towards me that afternoon after ot started as rain!!!!got close to 10 cms in couple of hours!!!!!

Jan 2004 remember it well 5c and light rain suddenly turned to snow as temp dropped to 0c leaving a few cms Early Jan 2003 was a bigger fall here though we got a Thames streamer

Edited by Kentspur
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 minutes ago, PsychedelicTony said:

Once again... That is not a polar low

polar low, isn't it like a 'runner' feature, but north to south in the flow, rather than west to east

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

was it not 28th Jan 2004? my location didn't do so well, not much luck with that one

It was 28th Jan 2004 and the reason your area didn't do quite aswell is because it lost alot of intensity over the pennines and peak district but really intensified around derby/Nottingham and for those further south. The heavy rain washed away any salt on the road and carnage ensued. 😂🌨️

• Like 2