Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into 2024

Catacol
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The GFS control is bordering on outlier material at D8 and I would not worry at the moment:

2m temps & 850s:image.thumb.png.86e010769321b2eb945535382a901956.pngimage.thumb.png.5d7387d9c06980c5916c07cea6549f3f.png

• Like 5

Posted
11 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Squeaky bum time!!!!ecm has to go the right way this evening!!!!im very nervous right now!!!!

I have a feeling it’s going to throw out an absolute stinker. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Despite the ridiculous snowfall progged for the middle of next week I actually think the 12z runs are a bit of a disappointment (aside from UKMO and even that has Iberian heights on the rise)

The 6z ensembles were warmer than the 0z and I wouldn't be surprised to see the 12z ensembles become warmer still

Don't think it's anything to be concerned about as it's just waxing and waning within an overall pattern that looks like delivering cold. But a step back again this evening. My confidence is still high that a memorable cold spell can still happen 

GFS control goes west-based which I think is the biggest threat to this cold spell - not micro-level shortwaves or whatever we call them

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

Facts there feb..

Although it has just got a bit better but not sure it will get far enough south.

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, AO- said:

Control shows exactly what the puttfall might be with such synoptics. CAA creating shortwaves over the Atlantic. 

GFSC00EU12_192_1.png

TBH that’s where I thought the GFS was heading

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Although it has just got a bit better but not sure it will get far enough south.

Yea I see that..would be nice if we can stick with the 15th..rather then 17/18th though.😊

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold with a lot of snow
2 minutes ago, Alexis said:

I'm sceptical of that because it just shunts the dense cold out of Central Europe as if it wasn't there.

Just now, frosty ground said:

TBH that’s where I thought the GFS was heading

Fortunately the Control is in its own as shown by IDO. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder , Lightning , Snow , Blizzards

Control off on one for sure 

image.thumb.png.ec648ea16153500e26965db64daf9943.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Evening all,American models especially GEM keen on allowing the Atlantic lows to push up and effect the south of the UK as usual if this happens how far does the milder air filter north.Still at least 8 or 9 days off so a lot of uncertainty the ECM tonight might give a better idea but I feel 48 hrs is needed before we can even start to clarify the track of these possible low pressures 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
10 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

mean isn't spectacular though it has to be said.

image.thumb.png.c1523afadce2c116cd6b16fdd6fe9113.pngTake it

• Like 4

Posted

That’s a great mean if you ask me, clearly lots of ens with big snow potential like the op too 👌

IMG_2543.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
1 minute ago, Rob 79812010 said:

Alert!!! Net weather monthly update through to 6 Feb one of the best I've ever seen!! The models are certainly onto something

Who does the updates?

Posted
9 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Who does the updates?

It's on the Netweather website. Not sure who does it. Believe me, they don't over egg anything. They're pretty conservative normally and generally fairly accurate

• Like 1

Posted

I've got a feeling how you read the ensembles will vary depending on where you are.

For further north they are still rock solid, and in many cases actually very snowy.

Further south, and its about as mixed a picture as you could get, could be snowy, could be flooding type rains given how wet the last 6 weeks have been down here. Regardless, the margins here are small to begin with.

In some respects @Met4Cast is correct, the broadscale pattern isn't that different, but when you really drill into the last few suites and look at the trend of the individual runs, you will see the pattern has morphed into an all or nothing type pattern for many.

Also, regardless of where it lands, think there is a high chance somewhere will get a notable snowfall out of this at some point providing the models aren't very wrong about the upper high strength to our N/NW.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Fwiw I think it’s timing if this happens and how far north west it is. This would effect the track of lows from the west southwest.

If it happens then it’s going to be awhile before we know. 

control is an outlier but does show what happens if it’s to far north. 

id be interested in thoughts? I could be talking rubbish but just how I see at this time.

Right, off to the pub, need a 🍻😂

IMG_9988.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
19 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

I have a few mins ago and its horrible and i wish i didnt!!!!!mean is better!!!!!

This is why starting high risk is walking the tight rope, if things end up to far NW then it starts getting dire. The control has the north Easterly we crave, but it’s in Iceland!

For all, if you want your cold spell to have serious legs, you need pressure to be low south of the UK, having a ridge there is just asking for trouble. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Who does the 

10 minutes ago, Rob 79812010 said:

Alert!!! Net weather monthly update through to 6 Feb one of the best I've ever seen!! The models are certainly onto something

Doesn’t seem to be too bullish to me.

• Like 1