Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
4 hours ago, Lord Grogon said:

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't Feb 86 the imfamous "too cold for snow" month?

Jan 1987 was cold and very dry for much of the country away from the SE too.

Posted
25 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Classic. Absolutely classic.

This also often happens in summer too with the sunny and warm conditions just "slipping into Europe" and Britain magically getting none of it. 

Let it snow, let is snow, let it snow.... but somewhere else 🙂

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
1 hour ago, SunnyG said:

Let it snow, let is snow, let it snow.... but somewhere else 🙂

Highly doubt we will get any in London. A tiny flurry on Wednesday at most. 

It's plenty cold though! Dry and sunny too, no moans from me at present!

• Like 1

Posted

There's only one silver lining about the model outlook today - It surely gives most on here the chance to have a break and recharge the batteries. At least a few days off. Maybe a week. 

• Like 5

Posted
6 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

There's only one silver lining about the model outlook today - It surely gives most on here the chance to have a break and recharge the batteries. At least a few days off. Maybe a week. 

Perhaps focus on looking for any potential snowy surprises cropping up this week and then come back to the medium/longer range models next week?

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Don said:

Perhaps focus on looking for any potential snowy surprises cropping up this week and then come back to the medium/longer range models next week?

Very wise words mate. I certainly wouldn't rule out the odd surprise but if not then so what? It felt proper bitter out there today and is a welcome change to the miserable, gloomy atlantic muck we have had to endure. 

• Like 3

Posted

Just woken to a nice covering of....water! Yes its been raining again! 🤔

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Nice dusting of snow here this morning, and the sun is making an appearance 👍🏻 -1°C. Have noticed the ducks pairing off for several weeks now, signs of an early spring?

Posted

Nice bit of snow to wake up to here. Did t expect anything good couple of inches on the ground. Not in work until 2pm so will get out and enjoy it and go for a nice walk in an hour.

• Like 3

Posted

No snow in December, check

No snow in January, check

It's all going to happen in February 😆 

Of all the Winter months over the last 25 years Feb is the one that delivers the most..

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Had a nice sprinkle of talc on the ground this morning, no worries, temps will be back to norm by Sat/Sun.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!

Well, even the frost has been disappointing this week - barely a frost on the windscreen this morning

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

Lots of areas of North West England are seeing lots of snow this morning. 

The system that was expected to bring snow to Southern Scotland is much further south. 

We've had a few flurries here in South Yorkshire. 

Those of you down South shouldn't worry, your turn might come next winter. 🤪

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

I have been enjoying this cold spell with its dry and occasionally sunny weather even if the ground is still boggy. The good thing about it from my perspective is that the lack of rain means the roads are dry which means no black ice and is safer for cycling. Looks to be back to reality on the weekend and of course there has to be a potentially nasty storm sweeping across the UK on Sunday coming into the models when I have booked a non-refundable rail ticket costing over £100. Still six days out so hoping it will moderate as the lead time decreases through this week.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

Interesting how cold its been in London / Essex this week but zero snow, barely frost that I've seen tbh. 

Was -4c when I left for work this morning, which is a very cold minima temp in my area (the average low for London in Jan is 4-5c). We've had thick snow before at temps several higher degrees than this!

Posted
37 minutes ago, Bradowl said:

I've already seen snow this winter! It snowed for about an hour in central London, I was on lunch at the time, on the 1st of December!

Snow-box...ticked! More than be said for many winters here, lol....

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

I've already seen snow this winter! It snowed for about an hour in central London, I was on lunch at the time, on the 1st of December!

Snow-box...ticked! More than be said for many winters here, lol....

We've had another dusting overnight, now it's a lovely fresh, sunny, winter's day. Can't decide if it's due to DAY 10, or down to all the hopecasting. 😉

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

I have huge respect for the people sticking their necks out to give longer term forecasts and bow to the knowledge they have in very complex areas of meteorology, I hope they continue doing so. 

The broad synoptic pattern was well advertised and correctly forecast some weeks out - the disappointment has been how short lived this spell will be, how quickly blocking is collapsing and how soon we are returning to wet, windy, mild SW'erlies. The other disappointment is the relative lack of snow - yes favoured areas of northern Scotland have got a lot, and there is a brief slushy covering over parts of the north today, plus we have had bad luck with that system going over northern France.

I think some were a little too over confident that this spell would be something special and that we'd see HLB maintain. 2 decades plus of model watching has lead me to know that nothing is close to being set in stone unless it is within 3-5 days lead time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Arrived in London for work and it’s a beauty of a winter’s day, blue skies, sunshine and cold at 3°C. No complaints 😊

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

snowing this morning on the flip side its 25c warmer than yesterday feels like summer :drunk-emoji:

• Insightful 1

Posted
4 hours ago, RedSkyMan said:

Woke up to heavy snow and a few cms on the ground, now it's already turning back to rain 😢 

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

Well, it did snow here after all. It was like a winter wonderland at 5am, but by midday had already mostly melted away into a grey slush with pathetic patches on roofs and garden lawns. I'm not sure how it's managed to melt away so fast with how horribly cold it is today.

Posted
7 hours ago, Bradowl said:

Lots of areas of North West England are seeing lots of snow this morning. 

The system that was expected to bring snow to Southern Scotland is much further south. 

We've had a few flurries here in South Yorkshire. 

Yes. I'm on the northern edge of the central belt and was  supposed to get four or five hours of snow this morning and got virtually nothing (a slight covering barely distinguishable from the frost).

We were also supposed to get a second system come down from the north west this evening and give us a few hours of snow. Now that seems to have arrived earlier, gave us a few light rain showers, and the remainder passed over the hills to the north.

The met office website was still forecasting snow all morning here at 7am, 8am, 9am even though checking the rainfall radar you could see it travelling well south of here with nothing coming our way. Similarly the evening snow was showing until early afternoon when they changed it to  snow  falling now which then fell as (very light) rain. 

I wonder how many schools closed and jobs were postponed because the  heavy snow was still being forecast by the met office when people got up in the morning. I realise snow is not easy to forecast but when they are still forecasting heavy precipitation occurring now and in the next few hours and the main precipitation is a hundred miles south it's not really very good nowadays.

Edited by The real Lomond snowstorm
clarification