Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted

Very pleased with the weather today. It looked like a day of Russian Roulette, a washout in the south east yes, but over this way it was clearly one of those days where the forecast wasn't going to cut the mustard. A wait and see job. Some very light drizzle cleared this morning, and while it wasn't very sunny, there was some at least some sun, and cloudy was light in nature,  right up until about 330pm when we had a small shower. Temps around 17c, it felt pleasant in the light winds and light cloud. 

I was expecting a washout day, the radar showed some rain aggressively approaching from the east early on, but it didn't quite make it this far. 

I did feel for the South East folk, the radar looked rotten down that way. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
10 hours ago, Alderc 2.0 said:

hope you’re not a spurs fan? They were dreadful yesterday (as they have been in the past few games) Liverpool played well and could have scored 6 or 7 imo. 

No im a Liverpool fan. We were brilliant yesterday, cruising at 4-0. Then a couple of our subs didn’t settle and we let Spurs back into it briefly at the end. 

Lovely day in Liverpool yesterday, very misty and cool there this morning though. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
8 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Yea it's been bloody awful! Still cloudy now.

Don’t worry.  Apparently that’s the last of the rain for the week ahead now.   We have the much discussed HP coming to our rescue. 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, Buzzard said:

as much success as I did going to London to watch the mighty cherries! (Saying that it depends on who you were supporting LOL)

Weather was lovely as least. 

Haha it was a successful one as I’m not a Spurs fan. Even though I currently live in an area full of Spurs fans ! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
Posted (edited)

*Stormforce~beka* Bleurgh - Really hope not! It would be extraordinary if the marked mild and wet anomaly continues for another few months.

If JJA are all milder and wetter than normal, that would be a run of 14 consecutive months which are both mild and wet, equalling or perhaps exceeding the 1872 record. (I'm going to assume May will be wet now thanks to the very wet start and chance of further wet spells in the models).

And of course a mild and wet summer will almost certainly be dull, just like a mild and wet any-other-season.

While I'm likely to spend some of this summer overseas, in S Europe, mild and wet here would probably mean too hot there so you escape one thing to get another.

Hoping the summer provides a surprise, and it flips to an anticyclonic NE-ly, or something. It's getting beyond a joke now...

Edited by Summer8906

Posted

Met Office week ahead forecast, this is what it shows each day. I’d say expect lots of pleasantly warm weather with sunny spells. Probably don’t expect total wall to wall sunshine and deep blue skies. So generally very nice apart from perhaps  the far north and north west at times. 

IMG_2445.thumb.jpeg.90c96d1b481b3ecb909607caaaa16a8f.jpeg

IMG_2446.thumb.jpeg.ae953803e90b8b87ddba1452076f78ef.jpeg

IMG_2447.thumb.jpeg.23ec28acd1abe3bf46dfc35b025fcf31.jpeg

IMG_2448.thumb.jpeg.7c84a3e3d01561601d0f455c58b7bb06.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
Posted (edited)

Azazel Probably knowing our luck it'll be a 'warm' summer as in mild nights and not especially warm days...

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted

Been one of the better early May bank holidays weekends around these parts dry warm and plenty of sun 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental. Dry air, storms and snow.

Summer8906 a slightly cooler Azores will be our destiny I fear. 

Posted
Posted (edited)

Buzzard Mind you isn't the Azores quite sunny and not that wet?

I prefer the Western Scotland, Western Norway or Faroe Islands (but milder and more oppressive and humid than any of those) comparisons.

Just hope this is a blip. The UK would become a very difficult place to live if the mild, wet and dull weather we've been "enjoying" since June 26th last year was to become the new normal. All the good things about the UK which Mediterranean climates don't get so much and which compensate to some degree - a good chance of frost and snow in the winter, our cool but sunny springs with spectacular flowering, and our mixed but formerly often pleasant summers (featuring warm, sunny weather with low humidity and cool but dry northerlies at times in addition to duller, wetter episodes) - would be lost.

It would just be all the rubbish aspects of the UK climate without any of the good ones.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental. Dry air, storms and snow.

Summer8906 yes. I thought the Azores was warm, cloudy and wet. Might have just been in their winter. 

I’d love to just live in a slightly drier climate. Went to Australia last summer which is obviously lots drier, but even Poland this March illustrated how wet the climate is here. 

• Like 1

Posted

Buzzard I don't know for sure about the Azores but I'd guess its southerly latitude and tendency for high pressure to form would suggest a bias towards sunny weather, at least outside the winter as you say.

• Like 1

Posted

A very varied and somewhat interesting day today. Spent the day in Filey on the Yorkshire coast - warm to very warm in the sun but cool in the shade, max around 16-17C. Quite pleasant from around 11am to 3pm or so, but then clouded over and felt increasingly chilly, so a difficult day to categorise in terms of feel.

On the way back earlier this evening encountered towering clouds of doom near York and absolutely torrential rain at times, plus a few lightning flashes. Now stuck under a persistent band of rain back at home. So dark it could easily pass for 10pm. Despite the rain though, it doesn't feel as bad - it feels like a very May sort of day with all the variety.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
Posted (edited)

danm there is way too much cloud on those stills for my liking, we just can’t catch a break, high pressure turns up and some will be stuck under cloud still….Hoping it’s more sunny than being indicated. Don’t want to be a Debbie downer but it was meant to be more sunnier than that so hoping met office are just being their usual pessimistic selves and the cloud breaks. Can someone explain why there is cloud with a high? And other times it equates to clear blue skies? I’m guessing it’s something to do with us being surrounded by sea and sea temperature?

Edited by TwisterGirl81
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

Gonna be some serious rain totals here today for my area. Well, for May rain averages at least.

Just non-stop, heavy rain for hours and hours, with only a brief bit of respite for 30mins or so earlier in the afternoon.

Pretty woeful.

Tomorrow of course looks good, because that's when everyone is back at work lol.

Posted

TwisterGirl81 really don’t take those stills too literally. I’d say expect sunny “spells”. The weather presenter did say the best of the brightness would be towards the SE, but to be honest, unless you have a raging strong high at over 1030mb you have to just see each day where the cloud will be. Some will have lots of sunshine, some will have more cloud, and it’ll probably change from day to day. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Buzzard in fairness we have all be more wet than usual for several months so it’s bound to feel wetter here, hopefully we’ll flip back to drier soon 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
Posted (edited)

Been a glorious bank holiday weekend around here and I think anyone else in the Midlands would say similar; almost consistently sunny, warm, dry. This week as it has been signalled for a little while looks decent as well. Perhaps somewhere squeezing in the first 25C of the year by the end of the week.

Also one of the few good things I noticed following a chiller second half of April is how long the beautiful bluebells have lasted around here, capturing more of them last week below. At last everything has come back to life after a dreary and perpetual-like 7 month autumn!

image.thumb.png.7a6ebcfaae6588cc2c99820a73a9a1c0.png

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Been a good bank holiday weekend ,mainly dry and warm, with some sunshine, although as I type ,I can hear thunder! So yes a fitting end to a lovely spell of weather, topped with a thunderstorm!  ☺

• Like 1

Posted

In Absence of True Seasons https://environment.data.gov.uk/flood-monitoring/assets/demo/index.html

I took a quick look at a random sample of data in the wet areas today. Surrey was hammered, with several places recording over 40mm. Greater London very evenly spread generally between 8 and 12mm. 

• Thanks 1

Posted

marky810 I saw a clip of Horsforth underwater and flooding in Bradford earlier.

Highest rainfall totals for the region going by the Check For Flooding service look to be Eccup Reservoir with 38.2mm in last 6 hours and 28.6mm in last 6 hours at Headingley. Rain has now reached Wakefield as well though with 7.6mm in the last hour - remains to be seen if it will surpass the others.

CHECK-FOR-FLOODING.SERVICE.GOV.UK

View current flood warnings and alerts for England and the national flood forecast for the next 5 days. Also check river, sea, groundwater and rainfall levels.

In terms of intensity, Eccup Reservoir is the winner with 10.4mm in 15 minutes between 6:30 and 6:45 this evening. Must have been crazy under that!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn
Posted (edited)

richie3846 More the East/West Sussex border than Surrey, that's where the most ridiculous numbers are coming from.

Looks like where I am in Kent maxed out at the high single digits, seems about right with what we got.

It seems that parts of the south have now repeated last November's feat of reaching near double rainfall levels within the first week. If we go by this then we can expect the rest of May to be respectably warm and sunny, June to be completely dismal, July to be hot and sunny, and August and September to be June 2023 repeats. Hopefully we're not looking at an exact repeat of the last six months and instead a summer jet stream-modified one if this is the case, which then I suppose June could be comparitively much less bad than December 2023 was as well but in June you can still get a pretty low jet stream.

Makes you wonder if Hunga Tonga is having an impact. I'm sure rainfall levels would still be above average at the moment but it's just been ridiculous since last July and also last spring. Extra water in the stratosphere can't be helping our case. If Hunga Tonga really is impacting it then it makes you wonder how much drier 2022 could've been without it.

Edited by CryoraptorA303
  • Like 1