Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
1 hour ago, SunnyG said:

Bit of rain and breeze for us today then tomorrow we are back to dry weather. At least for London, this is a load of much ado about very little.

I was having a peep at the MOD thread and honestly I don't get the stress about looking at charts waiting for snow. Fun (or lack of it), yes, but stress????

It worries me when i read "i'm worried about those charts".

Worried!! Why would anyone worry? Frustrated, yes, if you're seeing charts that are forecasting weather you dont like or disappointed, but "worried", seriously?!

1 minute ago, Chasbrown said:

Probably accompanied by copious amounts of drizzle!

Could be, but early Feb at 18c, luverly.

• Like 5

Posted
52 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

If you read old accounts and writings about Britain, both from locals and foreign travellers, our Isles were rather renowned for their tempestuous, bleak and unsettled conditions during Autumn and Winter. It's a hallmark of our climate.

The question remains - are more storms occurring than in prior decades / centuries? Or are we just simply A) reporting on them more accurately and keenly, and B) shifting the barometers of what classifies as a 'storm' to begin with (which obviously would result in stats showing far more storms, if we now consider 12 hours of wind and rain in Winter (on an Island in Northern Europe with a maritime clime!) as a named storm. 

This isn't me dismissing climate change, more-so just questioning the degree to which every single aspect of our weather nowadays, can be directly attributed to aforementioned climate change. 

There's always been stormy autumns/winters in the UK, just not year after year.

I actually posted a cheeky, quick Winter 23/24 forecast in another thread on here in mid-November and main theme was that we'll have stormiest winter in years👍😉.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Another day, and more wind and rain, AGAIN.

• Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Lo and behold ANOTHER storm incoming, Jocelyn. 

Getting a joke now. Soon as one finishes, another begins. 

Granted, they're not exactly "storms" as many people would imagine them...moreso just 24-48 hours of very windy unsettled and wet weather...but even still. 

Benign weather following the cold blip, apparently.

Edited by CharlieBear9
duplicated
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

@Matty88

But true, nonetheless: a warming world does indeed mean more water vapour. 👍

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

The only solution is to concrete over the Atlantic Ocean. 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

A real sense in the MOD thread of this winter being an unfortunate milestone  in our climate history. It certainly would appear that the defining features which decide whether we get mostly cold or mostly mild weather in winter have finally reached an apex point, and fallen in favour of mild. I've said this for a long time but the evolution of the climate in the Mediterranean certainly will and does have a strong effect on our climate here, and it would seem that this winter is proving how strong of an influence it can have.

• Like 1

Posted

@Mcb

Chances of cold weather continued to be pushed back towards later in the month now.  Been here before.....

Edited by Don
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I do a like a good cosy storm every now and then, but it has happened so often this winter that it has now become boring and I want a break from them. Hoping February gives us some more crisp and sunny weather. Snow would be nice too.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

You can watch your  ridge tiles fly off, and your fences fall down, but at least you'll be warm whilst it happens .  What a complete crock of s...ite our climate is.  

Edited by 78/79
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Had to take my jacket off when walking home despite the breeze, it feels very mild when walking away from it. That's a first for January I think.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter

I hope mother nature balances the wet horrible weather we've had into a warm spring and a warm pleasant summer.

Here in North Yorkshire it just seems to rain all the time, from early July last year until now, apart from a bit of snow a week ago.  My house feels damp, I love the snow and cold weather,  but to be quite honest,  I'm looking at a hope of milder than average charts to be honest than cold looking charts,  that goes against the grain for me, 

Never thought I'd be saying this mid January,  roll on spring 🤔

• Like 4

Posted

@sorepaw1 let's hope so, although people are already calling a cool and wet summer due to the El Niño > La Niña flip. I'm hoping this summer defies previous trends.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

a few weeks of mild to get through before pattern change late feb, lets hope we can get a sting jet at some point before then.

Posted

I know the mother of a young woman killed by the storm isha Sunday. Happened in early hours, a tree fell on the vehicle in the early hours. Very sad and does make one think. Lots of damage in Ireland north and south, really was a terrible night. Lost a small tree myself, but others lost a lot more in property and two lives. 

• Thanks 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

@*Stormforce~beka* jeezo must be warm Becca

• Thanks 1