Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.

Back to today, and, well, it's dry. And not twilight at 4pm.

I suppose that's two good things about it, but in many other aspects it's a fail.

Temps typical of early November, not late January. A dishwater, wishy-washy sky with pallid colours. Contrast a northerly blast in spring with deep blue skies and sharply-defined Cb clouds delivering wintry showers, for example. The latter is arguably more unsettled but "better" subjectively; while I tend to prefer dry weather there are some converse examples.

I guess this is what we're going to have to get used to in the next 7-10 days.

A spring dominated by a mix of northerlies and anticyclones centred over NW Europe, would be an appropriate recompense.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
4 hours ago, Catbrainz said:

It feels like mid March today with 11c and partly sunny a very Bartlett high feeling day.. If a winter is going to be mild more days like today please. 

Perhaps more like end of Oct/beginning of Nov though, as the light level is well below that typical of mid-March. Indeed, sunset in London today is almost identical to that of Halloween, perpetuating the mid-to-late-autumn feel, without the autumn colours.

Also a very moist airmass, while by spring, the air dries out somewhat.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

@cheeky_monkey are you finding winters getting milder or because of your location not changing much?

Posted
41 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

@ everyone, there isn't enough moaning and ramping going on in this thread lol

Plenty of moaning (and no wonder), but no ramping. 😉

Mind you it's got to the stage where I'd get excited and start ramping about a northwesterly with average temperatures.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted

@raz.org.rain the anticyclonic interludes could deliver some warm sunny weather (with cool nights) though. One week 21C and sunny, next week 7C with wintry showers, third week 21C and sunny again. My kind of April!

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

it was nice down at folkstone today, sunny with fair cloud and if that wind (again) would calm down a bit it would proper feel like a spring's day which i hope will continue like that into february 

Posted

A false spring, I think. One thing predictable about the last six months is it’s unpredictability!

Hard to believe that back in July there we’re confident predictions of a drought starting in Spring of 24.

Looking back over the the years the great summers and winters were rarely predicted, though the idea of the weather during Easter week (Sunday onwards) being a microcosm of the following seven months sometimes seems uncannily accurate!

Despite all the technical advances of the last thirty years, I still think we’re no nearer to spotting changing weather, let alone changing patterns.

• Like 3

Posted

We shouldn't be writing off winter yet. Models are showing promise and latest net weather monthly suggesting something 'substantially colder toward mid Feb. In fairness, this has been suggested for a while now

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Warmest January 24th for 70 years in Austria !

C

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Incredible Mid -Winter temps forecast tomorrow across Spain.

C

420068857_837919395012634_2935839009633119618_n.jpg

• Like 4
  • Insightful 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

@johncam difficult to notice because winters are so cold. This year has followed a typical El Nino pattern so mild overall is the form horse and I'm expecting an early spring which is typical of such years..in general the stats show that most of the warming in the last 50 years have come in the form of warmer winters..spring and autumn have hardly changed whilst summers have cooled very slightly 

• Like 2

Posted

@SunnyG Benidorm today . 23c.

421836572_837919318345975_6028356961032577289_n.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

@carinthian the deep blue skies and clarity of the air are something sadly lacking in our UK midwinter mild spells.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, mild/warm summers and varied shoulder seasons

@Summer8906 I went for a March comparison over Oct/Nov as it felt pleasant and warm in the sun and noon today could pass for say 2;30pm in mid March. A day like yesterday I would on the other hand see as a late Oct/early Nov sort of day with wet and mild weather. It didn't feel that humid for me today but it seems my area is more protected from SWlys than coastal Hampshire with high ground to my SW so the air was a lil drier for me. 

Posted

@Catbrainz that's probably true. I have noticed that more anticyclonic SW-lies have a different, and much drier feel, in areas to the lee of high ground. Even parts of northwest England can feel much drier than here in SW-lies, as you have Wales upwind. To be honest, unless the wind is blowing from somewhere between NW and SE via NE, I'm probably not in the right part of the country for my weather preferences!

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted

Record warmth in Spain in January is all well and good but let's hope that doesn't translate to record heat this summer.  That could have severe consequences for Spain, and maybe for us if any heat were to move north.

Posted

@raz.org.rain Hopefully as wrong as the talk of a hot July last year, as late as June. Not expecting a great summer, simply because of late they have come at approximately 4-year intervals and the last one was only 2 years ago, but I think we'd be unlucky if we had one as bad as last year again.

Posted
1 hour ago, raz.org.rain said:

Typical, all the talk of a potentially gloomy summer have got me in a perpetual dread this evening!

I wouldn't worry too much.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

@CLReeve  I hope there is not a cold spell, was using around £8 a day on energy the last two weeks during the freezing cold spell we had (with no snow to show for it apart from A light snow shower once) now it’s milder it’s been a much less scary about a day at around £5.

Roll on spring and hopefully some warmth 

@raz.org.rain after last year that would be a kick in the teeth, I’m not sure how people can accurately say how a summer will be 5 months away 

• Like 5