Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Colder but how cold and for how long?

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
6 minutes ago, Nick2373 said:

Through this period, the greatest likelihood is that high pressure will remain the more dominant influence on the weather, most likely centred somewhere to the northwest of the UK, with winds from the north or north-east perhaps more frequent than usual, with generally reduced amounts of precipitation. There is an increased chance, compared to normal of cold conditions along with the associated impacts from low temperatures. Even within a predominantly more settled pattern there is a still a chance that frontal systems could move in from the west or southwest at times, which while they would likely bring an interlude of slightly milder, more unsettled weather, for a time, this would also introduce a risk of snow and ice where it meets the colder air in place across the UK.

Updated: 15:00 (UTC) on Wed 10 Jan 2024

Something a "Drift" there🤔

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
4 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

That’s is the biggest and best upgrade I’ve seen this week - all in very unstable conditions. I expect a METO upgrade today 👌

Not sure their medium range update today will take into consideration the GFS 6z and ensembles and the ECM ensembles won’t be out in time, so don’t expect too much.

I think ECM 6z ensembles will be really interesting at 2pm!

• Like 6

Posted
37 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Not got time to post charts etc but 10-14 day NOAA shows a westerly into the UK, still a bit below 500 MB temperatures for UK, 6-10 shows pattern I posted yesterday. ECMWF also v slightly downgraded in its time frame, shows very slack COL situation by end of its period which is a similar time frame to 6-10 NOAA. I prefer to see 2-3 charts being consistent before making any forecasts.

Would I be right in thinking the longevity of any deep cold looks in jeopardy?  🤔

Edited by snowblizzard

Posted
7 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

That’s is the biggest and best upgrade I’ve seen this week - all in very unstable conditions. I expect a METO upgrade today 👌

Wasn’t there an upgrade yesterday maybe that covers them until next week ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
27 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

Can’t say I’m seeing anything worthy of a red being modelled for next week.. 

Agreed, nothing remotely promoting a Red warning. 

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

I would expect either a continuation or a subtle downgrade ali

nothing a met man likes less than uncertainty!

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
11 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Not on the back of one GFS run, you know that. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

ECM ensembles flat line then show a disturbance into the cold air Wed/Thurs with copious precipitation with low ish uppers and then a return swiftly to flat line

image.thumb.png.08a749f7d9213cfe3cd34005e6fcfd33.png

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

Something a "Drift" there🤔

Yes back to mentioning  slightly milder weather for a time.  It looks like areas further north would stay cold throughout. As long as we don't see a further  change in wording to milder weather rather than  an interlude of milder weather, then I am happy enough with that update  

Edited by Bricriu

Posted

The Met Office won't change their update based on the GFS 6z because unlike some on here, they don't hang on to every Op run. 

If the 12z suite (including ECM and UKMO) show similar, they may consider it then.

• Like 3

Posted

Well at this range the update looks fine ..

I guess the tricky bit is where and when the Atlantic attempts to dislodge the cold..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

One thing of note looking at the 850's today is we start to see the warm sectors more clearly, Monday sees a large part of Eastern England on the wrong side of marginal before a renewed push of colder 850's from the north Wednesday/Thursday. Always a tough ask to get snow from these marginal set ups if precipitation does move in off the north sea, especially low lying areas.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Met4Cast said:

EXETER KEEP THE FAITH! 

Extended update via app, they see the block & hold holding on into February! 

Woohooooooooooo👀👀

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Well at this range the update looks fine ..

I guess the tricky bit is where and when the Atlantic attempts to dislodge the cold..

And if!  The way things are trending, it could be the Atlantic remains shut out and weather systems have to work their positions out in its absence, which would be nice.  12z runs and ensembles a must watch, out and about today but will be glued to my phone!

• Like 6

Posted
8 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

EXETER KEEP THE FAITH! 

Updated early today?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice
1 minute ago, joggs said:

Updated early today?

It was pasted in here about 30 mins ago

• Thanks 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

EXETER KEEP THE FAITH! 

Through this period, the greatest likelihood is that high pressure will remain the more dominant influence on the weather, most likely centred somewhere to the northwest of the UK, with winds from the north or north-east perhaps more frequent than usual, with generally reduced amounts of precipitation. There is an increased chance, compared to normal of cold conditions along with the associated impacts from low temperatures. Even within a predominantly more settled pattern there is a still a chance that frontal systems could move in from the west or southwest at times, which while they would likely bring an interlude of slightly milder, more unsettled weather, for a time, this would also introduce a risk of snow and ice where it meets the colder air in place across the UK.

Updated: 15:00 (UTC) on Wed 10 Jan 2024

Just now, Speedbird said:

It was pasted in here about 30 mins ago

Yes i posted it early

2 minutes ago, joggs said:

Updated early today?

Bizarrely they updated it at 12:30 but they haven't updated next week yet?

• Like 3

Posted

What a run from the GFS, possibly the best we've seen yet this winter. Both OP and control keep the faith. Huge upgrades all round!

image.thumb.png.c131fe7f1f32ea7efc6c7e2a4edc41ea.png

Majority of places don't exceed freezing for a whole week, incredible. CET could be near or below 0C if it came off. 

mfhQMsYHT4.thumb.gif.f03e9ca681248a2c206b579ffcb873cf.gif

• Like 5