Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Colder but how cold and for how long?

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
1 minute ago, Bricriu said:

Do you think a Scandi High is the next direction of travel  given the nh profile?

Tough to call, renewed northern blocking a very likely outcome

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Shorter term pain for long term gain on this run,which is what I wanted.

I'd rather keep us all in cold than frontal snow for me.

I know it'll change but that's a great run for me😁

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted

With the Jet Stream predicted to steam into Iberia next week, does that mean the battleground scenarios for snow/rain along the M4 corridor are no longer an issue and snow should be had for all?

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, joggs said:

Shorter term pain for long term gain on this run,which is what I wanted.

I'd rather keep us all in cold than frontal snow for me.

I know it'll change but that's a great run for me😁

I agree with this. I'd much prefer it be bone dry than risk a slushfest. As it is features could pop up to surprise  some of us, if not then at least we hang on to the cold 

• Like 5

Posted
58 minutes ago, TillyS said:

I mean, strictly speaking the CET is above average. Has been well above average for the first third of the month: 

It has felt really cold these past two days in the south, and in some cases and places has been cold, but empirically speaking not very. And temps are nudging upwards this week. So, no, not ideal ahead of the apparent snow event next week.

We need deep embedded cold. This isn’t that.

This isn't right. The 8.2C figure in the mild and wet start of the month just hasn't been updated. It will be much lower now.

Posted
7 minutes ago, Bricriu said:

Do you think a Scandi High is the next direction of travel  given the nh profile?

Firstly let’s get the southerly tracking LPs as per GFS 06z, then the confirmation of further warming….then we can see how the vortex reacts.  There’s certainly signs of shallow wedge of higher pressure developing over there to start with

BFTP

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in winter Warm Sunny Summer
1 minute ago, Arch Stanton said:

With the Jet Stream predicted to steam into Iberia next week, does that mean the battleground scenarios for snow/rain along the M4 corridor are no longer an issue and snow should be had for all?

It will depend on the shape of approaching systems from the west but yes more chance of us all staying the colder side of the Jet and more wintery potential to anything falling from the sky. Specifics left to nearer the time but the pattern looks primed for the Jet to stay south for a while.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Would be great to see  GFS snow accumulation chart like latest 6z come off for once

gfs-16-270.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, Met4Cast said:

Very, very good 06z. very very good day 4 FAX..

image.thumb.png.a5e1545c0eb2ae9cdb03243b4ccf8ae5.png

Interesting that there’s no complicated shortwaves over Greenland or Iceland. 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Anyone else seeing the models do their typical pushback on these outcomes, particularly around the delivery of wintry precipitation. 

It seems we continue to only see the benefits of sustained cold out in FI only for it to be pushed back further. I am a fan of the cold weather, but bitterly cold and dry isnt very fun at all. 

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Met4Cast said:

What model do you think that is closest too,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

image.thumb.png.5e610b97802e9424b1d942864300b446.png - Later stages of GFS

image.thumb.png.6f8930b7cf8b471ff95184abccb0a2b2.pngimage.thumb.png.6217b004f873bafac905844540f9cae9.png - December 2022

Those commenting on the lack of snow.... the upper level trough means that there would be snowy features in there somewhere. Just the models won't be expected to pick them up at this range.

Though hemispherically different, the later stages of the GFS remind me of the very cold and unsettled weekend in mid-December 2022 with snow in the south.

• Like 6

Posted
6 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

That is a beauty of a fax chart.  Northerly plunge very much in charge.

Look at north tip of Scotland…trough number 1…that’s really cold air behind that

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
10 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

It's worth remembering how that snowfall in parts of Cumbria caught everyone out in December, including the met office.

What happened with that? could of sworn i saw an amber warning, did they get the area wrong or was it that it was such a pasting that it should have been a red?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in winter Warm Sunny Summer
2 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

Love the fax charts as they always show more isobars and that’s got direct northerly all over it and troughs embedded heading down in the flow 👌

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

Would be great to see  GFS snow accumulation chart like latest 6z come off for once

gfs-16-270.png

I'm sure many in here will agree this is the best outcome for 'all' because it brings snow to the south east 😉

Common conception is that frontal snow is bad because it always means a return to mild weather, which simply isn't true. Plus, frontal snow doesn't need as cold an airmass as convective snow.

Just things that frustrate me in this forum. It would though be surprising if there weren't other smaller features popping up in such an unstable and messy looking flow. They're just always likely to be more localised and often but not always smaller amount of snow than from a front.

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

gfs-16-270.png

An odd chart, not that these are reliable. I mean odd that you get a covering but so does the North  West. Usually one of us would miss out.