Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Colder but how cold and for how long?

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
3 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

The main bit of the low isn't arriving until the next day

Still plenty of movement possible in the low I guess, NH wise it’s another upgrade though 👌

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, January Snowstorm said:

What surprises me is the Met Office more or less went for the low pressure to be further North. Its almost certain now that won't happen 

They can only go off the data that they have in front of them at the time and hence why its highlighted as a risk rather than a dead cert. 

The GFS 6Z takes the system just south of the UK and wouldn't take much to bring that Risk back into play. 

Anyway,

Much better from the 6z for longevity- lets see where it takes us further on 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, IDO said:

It is much better run on the ESB high/ridge, which will impact the following low that flattened the pattern:

06z: gfseu-0-156-3.thumb.png.ed7fc8b400bb94baa1c9569d01622d20.png 0z: gfseu-0-162-2.thumb.png.9f486dc957a999d7b43b85ad1df12157.png

image.thumb.png.c2a12efa3775d7757d779429ab4431b6.png
looks like that low is heading up the west coast of Greenland

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Ali1977 said:

Still plenty of movement possible in the low I guess, NH wise it’s another upgrade though 👌

Yeh, it won't be pinned down for days yet, it did suprise me why the met office did a whole video on a system that is over a week away.

Posted

In the shorter term there is no denying the initial northerly blast is swiped away faster now than modelled a few days back low 850's getting mixed out quickly before reloads from the north but how potent will that really turn out to be is the question. Would have much preferred a straight northerly sustained a little longer but they seem hard to come by these days.

• Like 1

Just now, tight isobar said:

Forming Chanel low.. honestly if your not happy with these winter Synoptics/ possibilities.. give up the ghost!!! The 6z has everything wintery “ possible “.. and will like throughout the 🏃‍♂️..

66218584-BE07-465D-9A3D-DBDD5ED4D461.png

It feels like upto 180h GFS 06z has everything wintry possible but lets us have none of it. I'm hopeful we see changes in the modelled positioning of the lows etc.

• Like 7

Posted

It would be nice if that happened 

IMG_2638.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

We're getting close to a day 7/8 consensus, ECM and GFS very much on the same page

image.thumb.png.a3716e3a40258ce9c30bc6609818062b.png  image.thumb.png.a1d338ddd1fe1e6b7af04ca7d675fbb1.png

Fine details to be ironed, but we seem to be getting somewhere.  As @Captain Shortwave says above, a few tweaks either way and it could be success or failure, but we're in the game still!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
Just now, Ali1977 said:

IMG_2638.jpeg

It won’t.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
Just now, Kasim Awan said:

It feels like upto 180h GFS 06z has everything wintry possible but lets us have none of it. I'm hopeful we see changes in the modelled positioning of the lows etc.

It’s almost a certainty kasim @changes on scale as we approach the outbreak.. I’m happy as a pig in poo right now 🤘🤘🤘

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, Ali1977 said:

IMG_2638.jpeg

It's gonna have a go in next few frames.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual works for me...!
3 minutes ago, Hammy79 said:

They can only go off the data that they have in front of them at the time and hence why its highlighted as a risk rather than a dead cert

The GFS 6Z takes the system just south of the UK and wouldn't take much to bring that Risk back into play. 

Anyway,

Much better from the 6z for longevity- lets see where it takes us further on 

This.

It has long been my view that the MetO aren’t any more precise with their forecasting than many of the excellent posters here. They are far more precise with their use of language though, and particularly disciplined in their deployment of “terms of estimative probability”. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
8 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

Net wx cup first round first half.

COLD 1 MILD 0 

Scorer: Arctic 18mins

image.thumb.png.c9d4250cc863fd55bbd2de09150eef9f.png

image.thumb.png.ebc6d981e5aa057e0ec32bd01f92d7d0.png

Dances through the box with an ice cold finish.

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

At day 8 we are so close to something very cold!.doesn't look like making it on this run..

We've been at that stage for 3 weeks 😆. My opinion is taking all models that we remain cold if not very cold with very little ppn right through next week. Not what I want but I know some want a drying out so that's fair enough

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, January Snowstorm said:

We've been at that stage for 3 weeks 😆. My opinion is taking all models that we remain cold if not very cold with very little ppn right through next week. Not what I want but I know some want a drying out so that's fair enough

Yea it's not far off January weather tbh..just colder then average..over hyped a little in thinking..let's hope for some serious upgrades

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

We may see 1-2 days more of those -5c uppers based on this run versus 0z.

But the issue remains that inter and cross-model support for the NH profile to reflect something like the following is very consistent:

image.thumb.png.81d3df4ddc8bc1488d4d03832bf3b1de.png

With the Pacific high/ridge kicking out the tPV; it has to go somewhere. 

Edited by IDO
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

The southwards trend if it keeps going further, could help pull down that energy to our north carrying enough water vapour transport for snow showers to keep popping up along lobes of vorticity. Currently most of it stays in the north and Scotland but as we come closer to time, a small southwards trend along w/new discovered PV lobes could pull down some snow showers further south. 

gfs_z500_vort_eu_32.thumb.png.c4a77c4fcf8bffd7febb5a2ed3c5e89b.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves
Just now, Met4Cast said:

Unsurprisingly the low has now trended to the south of the UK across most modelling. 80% chance now the precipitation doesn’t reach the south coast. 

The benefit of this is much colder air remains in place. 

Yep looking that way now I’m not to far from you location . in this setup do we have any chance snow I know north as a better shout thank you.