Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Colder but how cold and for how long?

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted

Looking at the 12z / faxes looks like unfortunate timings with the cold front moving south and the Atlantic low moving in keeps the low on a south of the uk track - just bad luck really.

off topic - it’s been a fascinating chase - although feels like it’s been going on for weeks but a thank you to all the inputs on both sides of the coin - looks like very much model fatigue setting in and just bad luck the pieces not there to give icing on the cake with a noteworthy snow event.

time to take a break and come back for anything in Feb that may be of interest

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, iowpompeylee said:

The silence says it all…………. The low is dropping south….. 😩all I can hope is for it to clip the Isle of Wight

Yes totally agree alas seen it here too many times sometimes I call this place the Bermuda Triangle cherry charts 10 days away seem to mysteriously disappear 

it is almost likely now that we are staring down the barrel of the Atlantic to make inroads after this week. The models have quite clearly backed away from any decent wonderland pictures us coldies are waiting for. Sometimes I get the feeling that the writing for the rest of this winter is being written on the walls but dare I say. How long this mild train will carry on for is anyone’s guess. Perhaps February May deliver according to what some of the knowledgeable posters have said, however again it’s worth bearing in mind that factors for 15th Jan were favourable yes granted we are going to get a weeks of cold weather but not the date us coldies thought would finally bring the white stuff. 

No matter how favourable outside factors will look I still believe we will never fill the gab between what’s being shown as favourable and what actually happens.  The weather will do what it wants. 

regards 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Where did the shuffling heights go?

They've shuffled off to their usual location over southern Europe. Trouble is... Once they locate there, no shuffling will be in evidence - they will stick there like glue!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
17 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

According to Matt Hugo, they were shifted due to the Strat Warming!

Yes, that's right. The one thing we look for all Winter has caused a potentially 2 to 3 week snowy cold spell to become a disappointing 36 hour cold and dry borefest.

I've warned before they don't always lead to cold, and can also spoil what are good synoptics if there before the warming. I n ver even look there, it's a real shame how things seem to be going down.

• Like 2

Posted

Cmon BA. Hurry up..... I'm cooking buffet food and I'm at risk of burning it awaiting your post 😂😂

• Like 9

Posted
20 minutes ago, Nick123 said:

For the north the cold spell is just beginning. Maybe be only 3-5 days but there's a chance of snow. Not trying to rub it in but this forum would have you believe there is no cold spell at all which isn't true!

Good luck those up north, However let’s be honest it’s a standard winter spell. Even brief 2-3 day toplers can produce the goods for Scotland and Northern Britain. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
20 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

I've warned before they don't always lead to cold, and can also spoil what are good synoptics if there before the warming. I n ver even look there, it's a real shame how things seem to be going down.

So that's 2 winters running a SSW has done nothing?...wasn't there a minor one (a displacement) last February and we ended up on the mild side. You really can't win here in the UK.

Somebody posted an anomaly 1970-2022 just before the winter which showed the deficit in the NH in days of falling snow and guess where was the biggest?...yep! NW Europe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

I’ve got a feeling that a HP for mainly the south and near continent is looking  to set up shop after the weekend….and dig it’s heels in.
 Going to wait until Wednesday and see where we are then….as there can be adjustments …but Kaprun for 20-27 is looking HP dominated with chilly nights but mildish sunny days.  Still there’s a lovely snowbase in place and a Glacier

BFTP

• Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Cmon BA. Hurry up..... I'm cooking buffet food and I'm at risk of burning it awaiting your post 😂😂

Sorry - watching the footy and posting at the same time! 
nothing doing until the back end of jan at the earliest - and that will probably be from a mid lat ridge which could then either drift ne or nw. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.
On 10/01/2024 at 22:47, Scott Ingham said:

It’s a bit off topic but I’ve read some papers and the amounts of atmospheric rivers 2023 going into the start of this year has been unprecedented so I can sort of see what you are saying without having seen any solid solid evidence. It needs studying more I think 

I agree a lot of research ongoing and ultimately it will in my mind show its impact on the NH winter whether its extra snowfall or increased artic ice. Its the added unknown in science terms that will change a good winter period into an exceptional one.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Sorry - watching the footy and posting at the same time! 
nothing doing until the back end of jan at the earliest - and that will probably be from a mid lat ridge which could then either drift ne or nw. 

Worth bearing in mind that the Strat and it's effects being a relatively new Science certainly haven't helped in predicting the weather. Maybe too much credence is given to it. You can't beat a bit of experience of how our islands behave and react during the Winter months. The Met Office themselves seem to take a lot of notice now of Stratospheric developments too. Has it helped them be more accurate? Certainly not.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.

A lot of gnashing of teeth tonight for what has been well advertised by the likes of Tamara and Met4.

Have faith we have a cold dry spell incoming which will be very welcomed by those areas recently flooded. A brief less cold spell we should see the cold reestablish itself. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

IMG_1160.png

IMG_1161.png

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Anthony Burden said:

Afternoon all,great write up from Matt H all models showing this very cold blast with still a possibility of snow in the south that has lingered on and off for a while. Then what looks like a milder spell that may well be short lived,with northern blocking perhaps showing up in the charts not so far away.The impact  of the blocking being assisted by the SSW.

The models don’t show evidence at present that the milder ‘spell’ will be short lived. There is no evidence of northern blocking in the three main models. Nor is there evidence at the moment for the so-called SSW having impact on UK weather to the end of their runs.

It will, indeed, be very cold this week.

Then it will be very mild, and not just for a short spell.

At least that’s what the models say, rather than what we may hope for. Cold, sometimes very cold, until Friday, then distinctly mild, wet, windy and Atlantic dominated, with high pressure to the south of the UK.

5 minutes ago, jonboy said:

Have faith 

Evidence is more reliable 😉 

• Like 9

Posted

Plenty of evidence for excellent winter weather into and through February. Should be more high pressure than usual, with anomaly for high pushing to our north west. Hopefully cool, frosty and maybe snow later in February. Don’t go looking for nirvana on every op run for your own sanity, totally mad some of the day 10 analysis, but there you go. What’s wrong with a dry February I don’t know.

image.thumb.png.d84936b79d354efeb391b442c9f5df3d.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

ECM offering a glimmer of hope for some Southern snow?

ECMOPEU12_72_1.thumb.png.d019463ec9d96f8b60ea8af15f18022d.png

Edited by Purga
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.
57 minutes ago, Nick123 said:

For the north the cold spell is just beginning. Maybe be only 3-5 days but there's a chance of snow. Not trying to rub it in but this forum would have you believe there is no cold spell at all which isn't true!

You’re right of course, there is a cold spell for the usual parts of the UK majority no and as for the Telekon connections well less said the better it is models today look horrendous to say the least Atlantic barrelling through cold and dry for majority of us not what we were expecting 😒😒😩😣😖😠😠😡🤬

Posted
16 minutes ago, TillyS said:

The models don’t show evidence at present that the milder ‘spell’ will be short lived. There is no evidence of northern blocking in the three main models. Nor is there evidence at the moment for the so-called SSW having impact on UK weather to the end of their runs.

It will, indeed, be very cold this week.

Then it will be very mild, and not just for a short spell.

At least that’s what the models say, rather than what we may hope for. Cold, sometimes very cold, until Friday, then distinctly mild, wet, windy and Atlantic dominated, with high pressure to the south of the UK.

Evidence is more reliable 😉 

Quite a lot of blocking in the Gefs post 300 (FI) hours, worth a look and one to keep an eye on over next few days to see if the firmer pattern develops. Low, mid, uk based and scandi all showing tonight 

Posted
17 minutes ago, jonboy said:

A lot of gnashing of teeth tonight for what has been well advertised by the likes of Tamara and Met4.

Have faith we have a cold dry spell incoming which will be very welcomed by those areas recently flooded. A brief less cold spell we should see the cold reestablish itself. 

I suppose the one upside is the models are at least moving away from a zonal train that was being suggested a few days ago into one more dominated by a HP somewhere over W/C Europe. Should keep the worst of the frontal systems away from a large part of the country.

This week does indeed look very cold, if we can drop away into some very low mins it might be a struggle to get much above 0c again. Its just a bit of a shame that the very cold week is going to be balanced out by perhaps a borderline exceptionally mild spell the following.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow
2 minutes ago, Purga said:

ECM offering a limmer of hope for some Southern snow?

I’ve always held the ECM in the very highest regard! 😂 this could go until Tuesday morning to nail 

• Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, Purga said:

ECM offering a limmer of hope for some Southern snow?

Some for the SW, a coastal kisser for the rest of the south.

I think we are arrowing in now on a close but not quite scenario, albeit one that as mentioned earlier, still needs to be closely watched as all it will take is a minor shift to pull many more into the game again.

• Like 2