Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Spring Has Sprung

Message added by Paul,

Please read the model discussion guidelines  before posting into this thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot
3 hours ago, MATTWOLVES 3 said:

thought the ecm ens look better than what I've seen for some time,yet some are not really convinced! For me weve taken a slight step forward today rather than the usual 2 steps back.

ecmwf-norwich-gb-528n-12.png

Defo an improvement with the ECM 10 dayer, hopefully not a long drawn out affair this time

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

Hmm.. again the UKMO looks even more interesting this morning at day 7:👀

image.thumb.png.5abd796dbb91f4e298406372ee29ade5.png

• Like 5

Posted

Ukmo is at one end of the envelope re beginning to drive a neg tilt to the upstream Atlantic trough by day 6

gfs at the other 

gem, icon and ecm in between to varying degrees 

you’d say Ukmo looks overdone based on the other models 

• Like 3

Posted

Big differences between the 'big 3' at just 144, at 168 they are worlds apart in relation of what they want to do with the PV. Ukmo introduces a wedge to split it, gfs remains consistent in shifting it to Scandi, ecm splits the difference and leaves NW europe with a south westerly express! Some sort of pattern change as Feb kicks off, hopefully GFS is barking up the right tree!

Edit: ecm finally shifts the PV in line with gfs by day 9.

Edited by KTtom
  • Like 5

Posted

Whatever the polar vortex is or isn’t shown as doing, the outputs on all 3 x 0z runs all look very zonal for the UK to me. Minor variations on an Atlantic-dominated theme with the persistent heights to our south. I’ve spent previous winters chasing the polar vortex around and in my humble opinion it rarely delivers.

No northerly blocking. High pressure to the south.

= a recipe for ongoing mild, with predominantly westerly flow. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The GEFS and GEM means are poor. Both are very similar for D8-16:

animchg5.gif  animwzl9.gif

We see the Greenland tPV run across our north to Scandi, but because of the mean Siberian/Alaskan highs, it flows the contours and, by D16, has returned to our NW. This is only the underlying background signal from the models, but it is relatively clean in this range. We do need other factors to dislodge the current state of play, as there appears to be a very low chance of any HLB'ing in the Atlantic/Euro quadrant with that pattern. The best will be wedges and stalling mini-ridges if these means are correct.

The next 10 days look to have high confidence of zonal with NW/SE split:

image.thumb.png.1071842bca3dfd60d3214e75089cbfd3.png  image.thumb.png.6681bd4a13aadad163151e84c2fea0d3.png

Rainfall for 10 days^^^. The London GEFS suggest mild for the south in that period.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos

image.thumb.png.ac73d07bb74e84e9edd8d4491fb4da8b.png

image.thumb.png.42f6ac846153b6f018a29b60551fec65.png

image.thumb.png.4ce3e3f6bfb63ff82346825ae41384ac.png

image.thumb.png.870da35dd39fce23df8a4cf1a5a6b6f0.png

image.thumb.png.8104095f9730d7988a12137b49c9b299.png

image.thumb.png.6e32293aacc1097b5edbd6f61c0ce6fd.png

image.thumb.png.294999e36fcf7fc450cbf4ac1f450e67.png

image.thumb.png.b6d701449a9ea18f1b672a1db8f70299.png

image.thumb.png.d479806f1ea2c924529f3a81722fea3a.png

image.thumb.png.7f44a0d885fd85a712dd9ef3dff55935.png

image.thumb.png.cf0d4e532ecd32ed8004d0aef43290f7.png

image.thumb.png.4ef4c6b503d4f23942cad8f0a2f53ea1.png

Picked some of the ENS, not to show longevity in any cold snap/spell, there isn't one but we have some shots at cold going forward, get into next week and we should see some change.................hopefully 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

A little bit of hope for relief from the tedium showing in FI this morning maybe?

GFSOPNH00_384_1.thumb.png.6bddd4897e384621a1a433f4333508e3.pngens_image.thumb.png.f64c4cdaee1c7c315425b372f2e81c97.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Looks like a fairly dry period coming up for the southern half of the uk in picticular in the days ahead, which can only be good news. The northern half of the uk ,further away from the European high will alway be more unsettled, with the caveat of some cold incursions, as the gfs shows....it looks like we are moving away from a rather stormy period for now....☺

h850t850eu-22.webp

ecmt850-21.webp

• Like 6

Posted

I thought the overnight ECM ensembles had taken a step back with less cold members in the latter stages compared to yesterday’s 12z.  More members inclined to extend high 850’s which suggest an extension of heights to our south over Europe and maintaining mild to very mild temperatures.  Not what I was hoping to see.  GFS shows a bit more interest especially the control run which has a cold northerly in the latter stages thanks to a high pressure centred to the west of the UK and extending north.

Edited by Stephen W
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.

@TillyS But if the vortex migrates east, wouldn't that leave us in a NWly (=cooler) ?

• Like 1

Posted

@Stephen W annoying not to have the clusters this morning but having viewed the stamps, I’m not seeing much difference to the 12z set from yesterday 

as such, waiting to see this evening  if the 46 reverts to a more amplified set of charts taking the anomoly further nw 

glosea has clearly pushed the signal back in feb but the eps days 10/15 take precedence imo if they begin to show a faster route. Really wanted to see those clusters !

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!

@bluearmy

I think this is them now updated 

image.thumb.png.7664a41b615a4962c61c9b6d5071affc.png

I'll let you analyse them, I'm not so good at interpreting what they're showing!

• Like 3

Posted
17 minutes ago, StretfordEnd1996 said:

I think this is them now updated 

image.thumb.png.7664a41b615a4962c61c9b6d5071affc.png

I'll let you analyse them, I'm not so good at interpreting what they're showing!

I know I wasn't the target, but thought I'd have a go anyway.

Firstly, a fairly even split (28/23) across the two regimes. There's a little promise on both, as they show a relaxation in the heights over Europe. There also seems to be a mean flow North of West on both too. 

Cluster 1 has a more impressive looking Mid Atlantic Ridge, but I think cluster 2 holds more promise. There's a strong negative anomaly over the Alps, and a hint of the high migrating to the North East. 

All in all not quite as depressing as the current OP runs suggest. I'd also highlight that cluster 2 shows what many would call a 'locked in' pattern eroding in 4 days. 

(As ever, none of this is a forecast, just trying to interpret the output)

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild, sunny winters/stormy, snowy winters and warm, dry summers

Incoming cold on the GFS! If only the Canadian lows could get lost image.thumb.png.3d53e2e173cdaa2fe10aa2fa8adcaef1.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

The jet has shifted south a bit on this one with some sliders :

image.thumb.png.0c4b245ad98ea35b7648536ec8caa30a.pngimage.thumb.png.06a6dc07a2c8f76665c76291443733d1.png

• Like 2

Posted

The 6z GFS has a few snow events for central and northern regions in FI - just for fun of course!

Edited by mulzy
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!

GFS 06z shows first signs of a small change around D9-11 period as it manages to claw in some temporary cooler air from the NW for a time - this isn't coupled with any notable Atlantic block or other block so it is brief but would turn things much cooler 
image.thumb.png.950c6bf65da70f81bb096fc4c3d1c811.png

image.thumb.png.d13a6bf64afc7c611fbc3f59052d6b32.png

image.thumb.png.2270c0129589c6ce373f7e67a9144b6d.png

Nothing out of the ordinary and this is a separate thing to what some members of the GEFS and ENS possibly indicate (which show various HP to the W/NW, but some time after the D10 timeframe). 

image.png

Edited by StretfordEnd1996
  • Like 1

Posted

Morning all,GFS starting to show a possible colder period from around the 3rd February early days yet but need to keep an eye on the ensembles will be interesting to see the 6z operational and control to see where they fit against the mean.

• Like 1