Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Spring Has Sprung

Message added by Paul,

Please read the model discussion guidelines  before posting into this thread.

Posted

Alderc 2.0 The Met Office- who are notoriously  conservative with cloud amounts (and temperatures)- clearly don't agree with your assertion. For this area at least.

Screenshot_20240504_082055_Chrome-01.thumb.jpeg.071e8aad75c4373f487d5e916b413e9b.jpeg

Where are you getting your info from?

I will say though that I am slightly disappointed to see the high looking less robust than it did a couple of days ago.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Nice to see some orange colour's appearing on the temperature chart for next week......☺

nmmuktempnew-2.webp

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Alderc 2.0 those charts are utterly useless at this range.

Not sure what some people want - the output still looks largely excellent this morning. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

danm so it’s ok to post the charts showing the sun and warmth but if it diverges away from that it’s not? Looking at the models this morning there’s a greater hint conditions could be a lot poorer at the surface despite a stout upper level high in place. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
Posted (edited)

If anything the GFS 0z looked to be further gradual improvements. It’s no heatwave but there looks to be a nice anticyclone that’ll give nice low 20s weather and should be quite sunny plus the nights will be comfortable and perhaps rather chilly. The 0z has also put back the idea of a breakdown a couple of days. Could be signs the high may last a little longer than it did yesterday.

That being said, the ECM does show perhaps a little pressure weakening around the 13th as does the ensemble. To me it looks similarly as it has down for a while, a nice spell of weather for a couple of days then perhaps turning unsettled again around the 13th.

IMG_4078.thumb.png.83ef5c967aaf1fb98f8d9880201adf04.png

IMG_4077.thumb.webp.07b8bc24e7c20d2567844f9d3d9fef74.webp

Edited by LetItSnow!
  • Like 3

Posted

Alderc 2.0 I haven’t seen anyone post those specific charts for any time period. We’ve been posting the pressure charts. 

The charts you posted detailing where it may be cloudy or sunny, or where there may be some light rain this far out are pretty much useless. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Rain All Night said:

0z ensemble means, out to Sat 18 May (day 15)

It looks likely that the new Atlantic trough will have pushed our high away by around the 13th/14th, by which point we may have had around five days of fairly settled weather nationwide (depending on specifics of the surface high), including a weekend.

Beyond that there are signals both for Atlantic ridging, and for shallow troughing to our immediate west.

The former signal for direct retrogression of our high into the Atlantic with cold trough formation to our east is gone now.

animoki5.gifanimycb4.gifanimeba8.gif

0z deterministic runs, on Fri 10 May (day 7)

There's that new Atlantic trough in development, while we are under the influence of the high, which is looking a bit squashed.

image.thumb.png.742b18b356018402af7bf6978783783f.pngimage.thumb.png.1fb16502296a637c39c0878dc4f2708d.pngimage.thumb.png.488af8a68d53a7f273a66ef84d1b795d.png

0z ensemble means, out to Sun 19 May (day 15)

animbte9.gifanimmjo5.gifanimjhx8.gif

0z deterministic runs, on Sat 11 May (day 7) - for all your Eurovision Song Contest parties

GFS op wants to carry on the party with continued anticyclonic activity well beyond the frame shown here.

image.thumb.png.70dc9b5b0a287241a0104578bbef5896.pngimage.thumb.png.8c8206cb40eed7af2079b710200d45f3.pngimage.thumb.png.8495dc5965e9b0189e1302d8ef20f15c.png

Edited by Rain All Night
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
2 hours ago, Rain All Night said:

0z ensemble means, out to Sun 19 May (day 15)

animbte9.gifanimmjo5.gifanimjhx8.gif

0z deterministic runs, on Sat 11 May (day 7) - for all your Eurovision Song Contest parties

GFS op wants to carry on the party with continued anticyclonic activity well beyond the frame shown here.

image.thumb.png.70dc9b5b0a287241a0104578bbef5896.pngimage.thumb.png.8c8206cb40eed7af2079b710200d45f3.pngimage.thumb.png.8495dc5965e9b0189e1302d8ef20f15c.png

I just noticed that I forgot to insert my commentary on the ensemble means. It's not good news - the GEFS is similar to yesterday's runs with a shallow trough incoming, but the ECM is even more aggressive about shifting the jet stream way down south and introducing a vast Atlantic trough. Enjoy this coming week or so while it lasts.

• Like 1

Posted

Rain All Night It's an ensemble mean- it doesn't mean it's definitely going to happen.

I think people jump to conclusions by focusing on the mean when the mean is simply a middle ground between the more settled and less settled scenarios.

The means shift all the time anyway and aren't very reliable more than 5 days out.

Only about 10 days ago the ensemble mean was showing prolonged below average temperatures and within 2 days it had flipped to above average 850 hPa temps.

• Like 5

Posted

Scorcher The clusters suggest there weren't many more settled scenarios in that ensemble run.

image.thumb.png.a81c15c9a8983a83838087975d1df4a5.png

We are fortunate that the two GEFS runs this morning weren't as negative as the ECM and that the worst period was beyond day 10, so we can hope for a flip. We can also still have nice days under poor synoptics at this time of year with the strong sun, so that helps.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer
5 minutes ago, Rain All Night said:

We can also still have nice days under poor synoptics at this time of year with the strong sun, so that helps.

When someone posts something like this, it’s a big red flag!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Just take whatever is offered.

Northwest NI wonder if there's some sort of mountain torque event that is limiting the warm air advection coming into our country? 

i know that some of the new CFS members have delayed the start of la niña and la niña may not even happen at all, always a good idea to follow the new members rather than just bullet point ways of looking at it.   

This I also believe will transfer to the atmosphere and I think we are due for it anytime soon, @summer blizzardmaybe able to help us with some of the teleconnections as things stand.   

• Like 2

Posted

Rain All Night I think the CFS weeklies are better at the moment than the ECM at long range, @Gavin Phas highlighted it on X.   Would love to hear some of his input on here to be honest.    

• Like 1

Posted
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Sherry said:

Looks like turning unsettled again pretty quickly 

If we limit ourselves to the semi reliable timeframe and just look at the output over the next week, then there is lots of dry, sunny and increasingly warm weather on offer. Not much point worrying about the week of Monday 13th May at this stage. 

Yes, turning unsettled at the very end of the ECM run, but before that lots of fine weather. 

In fact, the UKMO shows it potentially warming up even further towards next weekend with a SE’rly air flow and some warmer uppers:

image.thumb.png.a293bc8e73c7c57866c83e32df66e6b2.pngimage.thumb.png.df30414a38a01932442517f83382e956.png

Edited by danm
  • Like 7

Posted

danm and GFS/ECM are having a battleground at day 10 with evolutions, GFS are going with an easterly whereas on ECM its westerly atlantic driven weather.   

On a side note I hope we get a linear decline into la niña if it is to happen with it starting a bit later to do our weather ahead a favour.   

Posted

Rain All Night Yes I was going to make the point about May 2018- on the face of it it wasn't an outstanding month looking at the charts through the month.

High pressure came and went and was generally fairly weak until the last week.

Here we had an excellent (and extremely sunny) month despite it not being high pressure dominated until the last week or so.

• Like 3

Posted

Scorcher yep May 2018 was a warm and sunny month. There were a few days where we had some big thunderstorms, mixed in with some very warm and sunny weather. 

• Like 4

Posted

Large variance between GFS 12z and ECM at the 10 day range, not unusual, but the fact they are opposite each other suggests models are struggling. The GFS eventually pulls in an atlantic trough, ECM much sooner.

All conjecture given the timeframes, the GFS had a retrogressive signal then dropped the ridge SE, now it advects it NE.. none the wiser.

In the meantime, from Tuesday onwards high pressure building over the UK bringing first nationwide fine settled warm spell, pity it is due to arrive after bank holiday. 

• Like 7