Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Spring Has Sprung

Message added by Paul,

Please read the model discussion guidelines  before posting into this thread.

Posted

Evening all,Charts looking encouraging for the snow starved south those low pressure systems embedded into that colder arctic air stream could deposit quite a dump in a large area.I do feel that some northern blocking could and should start to show it’s hand fingers crossed.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Lukesluckybunch

It looks like a slushfest .

And a total mess after day 8.

Maybe okay if you live on a hill further north but overall disappointing.

You can never trust the depth of cold shown at longer range with this type of set up.

Anyway there’s more than one option on the table and the ECM has hardly added to its reputation during this winter .

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
11 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

After that it’s likely to turn into a shortwave and phasing frenzy as a while bloated mess of low heights sits over the UK .

Not impressed ! 

TBF Nick, i don't mind shortwave frenzy over the uk in an Arctic airmass, i hate shortwaves in the GIN corridor when your initially trying to get an Arctic / Polar continental airmass in via blocking.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Don't want to dampen the enthusiasm for UKMO's chart (and to a lesser extent GFS) but MOGREPS is not convincing:

Carlisle

image.thumb.png.d56c2a2814f1fc7bc795fa80432ed8a6.png

Brum

image.thumb.png.aed667cb1c81f9e0f44f4d880ed1111e.png

London (cold, what cold?)

image.thumb.png.3e7420a55a5659fe00c0e2cff44afbb7.png

• Like 4

Posted

Beware the Sussex Shortwave late arrival normally...normally a wrecking ball

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.

Harsh Climate

GEFS mean at 360h suggests a firm High setting up after the trough plunges into Europe, whether it's an 'Atlantic' or an 'Icelandic' High is up for debate.

1feb-GEFS12-360.thumb.png.7049c45ad96a3eb2b1517ca679963362.png

The panel with individual members reveals that most Highs, if  they build in the Atlantic are not that flimsy IMO. Little to suggest the Atlantic moving back in.
Quite a few even go from Atlantic High to a High between UK and Iceland, some even extending over Scandinavia, with winds turning NE in NW-Europe and at least the Southeastern part of England.

1feb-GEFS12-panel-360.thumb.png.5158d4d14adc5fefc249d3b800a29151.png

Will be interesting to see if EPS agrees with GEFS on these developments in the extended.

• Like 6

Posted

I’ll believe it when the red met warnings are in place for the next day we have seen these models before and led right up the garden path as we can see these are 7/10 days away a long time in weather prediction 

• Like 3

Posted

BIGDOG2 Well, a little caution is never a bad thing but I've even heard people say it's a downgrade at T+6.

I don't have a clue looking at tonight's output - it's confusing even at the 7-10 day stage let alone beyond.

There's a strong warming in the mix but what strikes me is the rise of heights to the east causing the trough to sit over the British Isles so if I had to put money on the forecast (and very nice money it is too) I'd be in the cold and unsettled camp. Probably rain to lower ground in the south but with altitude further north, snow looks a possible option.

Beyond that, all I'll say is GFS 12Z Control is a thing of beauty in far FI - it's the sort of evolution you want to take home and introduce to your parents. 

T+372 has -12 850s over the British Isles - time to book the Abbey?

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

The KMA is very good throughout👍

image.thumb.png.e910664ab4fa335907e7a8efddb8bbdc.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

ECM clusters T192-T240:

IMG_8632.thumb.png.2c9ee90395eb6175eddb301ada27c222.png

The genera trend clear across both clusters is the Euro trough and a high west of Greenland.  Cluster 2 has more of a wedge in the Atlantic meaning that the trough is sharper in the vicinity of the UK through day 9.

T264+:

IMG_8633.thumb.png.a9e53a033b0edc045e1b1ef6a96f886c.png

An explosion of uncertainty at the extended range.  Cluster 5 brings in an easterly under a block through Iceland in to Scandi abd is probably the pick, cluster 3 looks a return to westerly.  Clusters 4 and 6 have a northerly ahead of ridging in the Atlantic, in cluster 4 extending to Greenland.  Clusters 1 and 3 look a lot going on with wedges and so on, would be useful to look at in-between charts as things are moving.  As I say, a lot of uncertainty to resolve, but all with plenty of interest.

• Like 9

Posted

Just a quick post this evening - might be back later but if not just a quick update tonight. Probably another slight upgrade on tonight's 12z GFS - not really a drop in the mean so much but a decrease in the number of mild outlier runs particularly around the 11th-13th further north. Think we need a bit more time to get clarity for the south.

gfs-newcastle-upon-tyne(18).thumb.png.cb4d81ed2b0871b5d33154ecb6af962f.pnggfs-london-gb-515n-0e(37).thumb.png.ed63a7d965e97ab292158b157496be05.png

Before that, the next few days look exceptionally mild for most areas, though near-normal at times in Scotland.

image.thumb.png.9587b954c5d11914e90dbf641e35a9f6.pngimage.thumb.png.5972547240e2e6fd2f09a6e15ef5e3d2.pngimage.thumb.png.9477052d2114b343343ec3c95cd2dc6e.pngimage.thumb.png.0650bc1df071df2ae47ba7e828e7f1a3.pngimage.thumb.png.4b935bd3319e3c837415399d83853c61.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Mike Poole

Yes - i think another displacement SSW towards the Siberian sector is highly likely, not wholly sure we actually want or need it though.

image.thumb.png.28362be57cbadc16a630caee0da2f954.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

EC46 would be perfect

Cold from about the 12th Feb until early next month and then getting milder by the 2nd week in March

Of course it won't pan out like that

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

Kasim Awan only problem the ECM control and the mean have iberian height back at 360 hrs