Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Spring Has Sprung

Message added by Paul,

Please read the model discussion guidelines  before posting into this thread.

Posted

Tim Bland

I am worried . I viewed ICON first then the GFS and GEM in that order and thought very nice then that woeful UKMO output followed by the ECM last.

Anyway lets hope the UKMO does another u-turn this evening .

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

The last chance saloon I believe is the "possible" Wave breaking outcome behind the low Pressure systems from the west at days 8-9. They initially advect a veru mind air in to central Europe later 4-5 days the cold miraculously switchwes to North/Central Európe. How this happens is if it ever does is one of the most difficult things in forecasts to Guess. It could easily turn in to dry cold scenario in central Europe and dry and frosty UK under high Pressure. But looking at spinning lows in Western Europe days 6-10 its becoming difficult to imagine a sudden shift of overal contitions. 

gens-51-0-312.png

gens-51-0-192.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.

Models really struggling with the disruption of the trough in the Atlantic early next week. 

ICON and GEM definitely the best outputs this morning, but it's going to be a fair few days until modelling has got the low in the Atlantic right. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

ECM clusters T120-T168:

IMG_8638.thumb.png.a8d9758d547a679145ea17200029a89f.png

Looking at the T168, they differ in the position of the trough, cluster 1 has it west like UKMO (21 members), cluster 2 goes with the op (17 members) and cluster 3 has it deeper more like the GEM (13 members).  

T192-T240:

IMG_8639.thumb.png.5aa96c6367ac376b70ac848afdc0ba13.png

Here, cluster 3 (16 members) has the most northerly line of attack with a deeper trough.

T264+:

IMG_8640.thumb.png.1504b570bb1c28261c2534c54cebb8e5.png

Cluster 3 is the one we want here (16 members) with a very good strong block in a great position.  Cluster 2 develops a ridge in the Atlantic and pushes it too far east, cluster 1, despite being -NAO retains a westerly flow to the UK.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Extremely positive overnight runs (I'm shunning the UKMO), but the run of the morning goes to the GEM. The 850's for days 8-10 are stunning

image.thumb.png.d33d2dde078adabc2ece2e4c4a4a5ac3.png image.thumb.png.097478ee5e0bf2795f06d93ff97f5252.png image.thumb.png.54a1ff91380cc54787bafa60086a6e57.png

So we're not looking out to day 10, the ECM and GEFS mean at day 8

image.thumb.png.2d40b335819090d9b4fc9f9561e8d3da.png image.thumb.png.3e7773eeb65e4f4f3b6925acf4c6d57b.png

So we have the GEM at one extreme and the UKMO at the other.  But, we're back in the game and I'd gladly take that after a couple of moribund model-watching weeks!

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

After seing this i am quite confident of the cold March.

animzpi2.gif

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

Things moving in the right direction for somewhere in England and Wales to see some worthwhile snowfall later next week/next weekend. 

Exactly where still very much to be decided at this stage. But good  to see us back in the game.

• Like 4

Posted

Morning all,Gem this morning showing northern blocking and a peach for cold lovers,very positive looking charts this morning for a cold push over the UK with snow a strong possibility.If this scenario happens I will take my hat off  to Exeter /Glosea.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold with a lot of snow

Mike Poole

after a dump of snow I wouldn't be worried about cluster 2. Hp over UK. would lead to exceptional cold possibly when there is snow cover. UK has a better position atm than the continent, given the clusters. Personally I would prefer cluster 2

• Like 4

Posted

Gem is amazing looks like 1947 with those bitter easterlies, so of course it won't verify as the colder runs never do. 

Turning colder is the only thing that seems certain after that, too far out for depth of cold and snow chances. 

• Like 2

Posted
16 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Gem is amazing looks like 1947 with those bitter easterlies, so of course it won't verify as the colder runs never do. 

Them uppers on the gem are amazing..12-14!

• Like 2

Posted

I wouldn’t worry about the later stages of the GFS 06 hrs run.

The important thing is it hasn’t followed the UKMO earlier .

Ironically as the UKMO op went backwards the MOGREPS 00hrs looks better .

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Lukesluckybunch

This is not a blocking trough; it is a mobile pattern and has been modelled to be a 3-5-day episode as it is eased east. The GFS op is just one end of the spectrum, and I suspect it is overplaying the height rise and how deep the trough drops into N Africa!

animugf5.gif

The deeper the trough falls the more WAA blows up that Azores mini-ridge. Tone that down and it may resemble GEM to a greater extent.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.

The GFS06z also looks towards Scandi, similar to the GEM, although it's not really clean with it. 

Bit messy over Europe at day 10 but way out in FI. Still uncertain on how much the low disrupts next week. But again a clear trend south on the GFS

• Like 1

Posted

Yes please 👌

IMG_2843.png

IMG_2844.png

• Like 5