Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted

Just can't see this anything other than a morning/early afternoon affair below 300m quickly turning to drip drip. Think there are going to be a fair few disappointed people come tomorrow afternoon especially in the NW and Midlands threads. Downgrades overnight with heaviest precipitation now progged further north over us, but with quicker advance of milder air. I think high up near Buxton has gone from 40cm to almost just 15-20cm lol.

All I hope from tomorrow is that the snow can come heavy enough and early enough to get me snowed off work, not bothered if it's drip drip by noon.

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

Harsh Climate I'm working at Birkenshaw (150m asl) tomorrow so hoping for some decent amounts there, would agree our home locations look more dodgy, but at least we've got some interest to get us through to the cusp of the weekend. And never rule out surprises when it comes to snow, be they good or bad ones! 🌨

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

A rare air frost this morning with temps a good 2 to 3C down on GFS and Met office predictions. Possibly a good sign for tomorrow if colder air has pushed further south.

Watch Beeb forecast this morning and that was showing 2c to kick of tomorrow. If thats right it could well be a rain to snow to rain event.

Posted

Crisis in the main model thread this morning. I don't think the overall pattern is that bad really, it's not a typical zonal train of lows - the pieces just aren't falling kindly for us to make the most of it.

With regards tomorrow,  I think anybody with elevation will do quite well and those lower down will get a decent covering. Shame it's not hanging around but better than nothing.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days

Well I for one am just enjoying the here and now. Tomorrow…come what may 🎶 ❄️ 

A pleasant break from the blustery weather of late and some sunshine to boot ☺️. Interesting band of cloud.

IMG_4863.thumb.jpeg.5846dca7bc3a8a362b95b9d35420f72b.jpeg

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,lightning,hot and sunny

Amber warning now out for Sheffield, between 10-15 cm expected tomorrow.

• Like 2

Posted

Amber for parts of south and west Yorkshire 

Issued: 09:46 (UTC) on Wed 7 Feb 2024

Snow is expected to develop during Thursday morning and become persistent and at times heavy by the afternoon before slowly easing through the evening. Across the warning area, 10-15 cm of snow is expected quite widely but some places, particularly above 300 metres, may see 25 cm of snow. Strong and gusty easterly winds may lead to some drifting in places.

Screenshot_20240207_100457_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

Good to see an amber,  whether inside or outside I don't think it makes that much difference (although elevation will), on the day the actual area with amber impacts will probably be slightly different anyway. 

Amber warning mentions disruption to air travel, but there are no airports in the area. Go on Met Office extend it 5 miles NE to include an airport. 😉

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

Amber for here (Pennines, as elevation kicks in, so unsurprising), the one downside is the high winds making it a tough one to walk around in and to get pictures before the melt starts overnight.

It happening during the day is likely why they've gone for the amber so soon. Even so, I expect schools and businesses that try to open, finding themselves in a tough situation by mid afternoon.

Good luck to anyone across the area.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Right you lot, information needed....

We have a very important appointment with a band called ABC in the City Hall ,Sheffield tommorow night and will be coming up the M1 from Northants.

I am guessing the Meadowhall exit and dual carriageway into the city will be the least affected and most gritted route?

Normal car with good tyres.

Posted

High res models seem to suggest dewpoints on the wrong side of marginal here, with a day of wet snow / sleet before turning to rain. Similar to what happened in December, though snow did eventually stick towards the end of the day (though that won't happen this time). I'm less confident than yesterday that myself and others below 150m will see much in the way if settling snow - much will depend on intensity. Orange warning area looks to be the place to be. 

Posted

The story of most winters now snow to rain event mostly on higher ground, somewhere in Wales and around the Peaks usually do well, MO chuck out Amber warnings. Outlook looks poor though was really hoping for a proper blast of cold from the N and E, those lucky ones that get a good fall probably need to make the most of it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love snow

Will pocklington do any good tomorrow? The gfs shows all snow and is usually right, if not will have to go for a drive in the wolds haha.

Posted

Aiden2012 You would think cold miserable with wet sleet/snow turning to rain later. 

• Like 1

Posted

Aiden2012 I think it would probably just be wet on the ground but you never know. 35m ASL might not be enough.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love snow

Matt Jones good old drive into the wolds if so my dog loves the snow haha 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Still chance of the horrid freezing rain later on tomorrow in S yorkshire. Fingers crossed it stays as snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

ukpaul I have our main shop 2Moz & it's at the Halifax Asda.....setting off real early & hope to be back B4 it's really settling (post mid-Day?)

If I get away with that then it's just introducing our new Dog to heavy snow falling.....He's loved the bits we've had so a good dumping over mytholmroyd would be welcome!!!

• Like 1

Posted

Today has been fine and not as cold as forecast, lunchtime bike ride brought SW force 3-5 winds and 7C with quite a bit of sun. The wind is stronger than expected given the slack pressure gradient. The higher than expected temperatures today dont bode well for snow in this area tomorrow.

Forecasts for tomorrow here are all about 4C, which given predicted high humidity is just too warm to see snow. So I predict a cold wet day with strong to gale force east winds, 50mph gusts😒 again in some forecasts. Obviously the situation further west may be totally different particularly with elevation. Happy to be proved wrong and be able to post a white over picture, but not a likely outcome I would suggest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

mike57 yeah you’ll be too far east and too low down to see settling snow id imagine. Areas in South Yorkshire look the sweet spot. With 15-25cm over the Pennines. Low levels will see settling snow still with 2-5cm by 4pm and a slow thaw in the late evening by the looks! Shame as it will be too dark to enjoy a sledge in the day by the time there’s enough snow on the ground I’d imagine!

• Like 1