Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands regional discussion - Winter 23/24

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

GF0d82sbUAAkRhP.thumb.jpg.5385eff78e2e5b9e73e0a46c8d053515.jpg

Photo from somewhere around Chesterfield posted on Facebook by Serena James, it's not that high up (nothing really above 170-180m is inhabitated) but has seen some impressive depths!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
16 minutes ago, Shezale coventry said:

winters have become snowless here in coventry for the last few years.

We still get some okay falls, January 2021, end of November 2021, March 2023 (that became slushy through the day), early December 2023 (gone the same morning) etc. December 2022 we just missed out on quite a big event where parts of the Cotswolds got over 20cm.

But they seem to be getting increasingly shortlived, often melting within the next 24 hours or quicker. Got to take advantage of anything that settles straight away, as it just goes away so quickly now. Snowless winters do seem to be getting more frequent from here and southward as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow during Winter, Thunder during Summer.

Sleet early on, bar that just pain jane rain for here.

Its cold outside tho, i did the boiled kettle experiment in cold air.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Anyone know if that’s it now for the region?

Been a bit of snizzle here for the last hour though wind seems to have picked up.

Posted

What a disappointing event for here this is. Probably wouldn't feel so deflated if it wasn't for all the hype recently. Should have known better though after the disappointment with the December and January cold spells. Back in January there was even talk of been on the cusp of the coldest spell of weather since 2010. What a joke that was. I suppose we've still got a few weeks to play with (not many though) been as meteorological spring starts 3 weeks tomorrow. 

Don't know what feels worse to be honest a no hope Winter like 2013/14 or one like this one where many have anticipated much only to end up with nothing but a couple of short lived dustings and for this event not even that. Many a winter that's gone by with little or nothing I've always felt that there's always next winter. But even that attitude is starting to get a bit trying. Sometimes I wish I didn't even like snow. At least I wouldn't feel disappointed by most winters these days if that was the case. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

8 hours ago, AltonMatthew said:

Roll on summer now I say!! 

The rain will be warmer. 😁

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted

Walsall Wood Snow  I echo this sentiment 

2008-2013 we were spoilt 

early dec 17 had a good week

Last week dec 2020 was good

A Sunday in Jan 21 was good

feb/ march 18

march 23 1 week was ok 

• Like 1

Posted

nobble I think you listed every event we've had there during the last 15 years.

That's only really 4 or 5 events in the last decade though and the better 4 of those events were confined to 2 winters (2017/18 and 2020/21), which themselves were separated by 3 years, with the former of those better winters occurring a whole 5 years after the previous good one (2012/13). 

I had hoped in both 2018 and 2021 that we were getting back on track for a period of more frequent cold and snowy spells only for 2019 and 2022 to bring me back to reality. Although last winter wasn't too bad as you say having that event in March. But it was no 2013 or 18 that's for sure. Mind you it is starting to feel like March is the last great hope these days with it seeming to give better results than Jan or Feb strangely.

I'm always hoping we can get another run of colder snowier winters like we did from 2008 to 13 again some day soon. After all I remember viewing this forum as far back as 2004 and many doubting we'll ever see a significantly cold winter ever again, only to eventually get our coldest winter since 1978/79 with 2009/10. Our coldest December since before anyone alive at the time was born, way back in 1890 with 2010. Then we had our coldest March since 1962 with 2013. All that occured within 3 and a quarter years as well which is pretty remarkable really.

I'm sure we'll do well again some winter and it could be next winter (or even the end of this one by some miracle) or it could just as well be a number of years down the line who knows.

At least we always seem to have snow fall here pretty much every winter. Even if it doesn't always settle or we just manage a morning dusting. I believe there's parts of this country that go years without so much as that these days so we should count ourselves blessed in that regard 😃

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

nobble yep I must’ve missed that still snoring away 🤣 Walk back from work tonight was pretty grim. Wind has picked up a little which made it feel colder. Still raining, albeit slightly wintry I think. Wouldn’t mind a few calm, dry and mild weeks now. 

Posted

Screenshot_2024-02-08-18-22-18-19_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.thumb.jpg.900df4a2fa1c5dc2d0910189f6487772.jpg

Synoptics seemed to be a carbon copy of this day exactly 17 years ago. That had been just as mild and snowless as this winter up until then, here actually more so- nothing even like that frosty spell and one night of snow in early December. It snowed  on and off all day, and more fell the following day before the mild air came through on the afternoon of the 10th. Why then did the same setup leave the 0C line down over France in 2007, and over N England this time? The mild air just seemed to overtake the cold this week before it had a chance to go south, it has happened repeatedly with battleground/breakdown setups in the last 15 years.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Freezing drizzle here since the snow stopped, all trees, vegetation and snow covered in a thin glaze of ice.  The temperature has got above 0c in the last half hour and the glaze is slowly thawing.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Summer of 95 remember that , was working in Bridgenorth and left early on the Thursday but the snow never amounted to much more than 2 inches 

but the Friday came down thick and nearly didn’t make it make home 

the main road back to Wolverhampton was terrible and beyond , 

argh snow memories 😊❄️❄️

• Like 2

Posted

Back home in Longton and there are actually some small piles of snow up against walls so it must have settled here earlier while central Stoke saw nothing.

IMG_3784.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A slow thaw here but still with around 5cm of snow cover it is sleeting currently.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Polar Maritime

Since midnight I’ve received 27.4mm, all rain observed as we know ( well some seen better delights 🤭) , but if the low that was forecasted a number of days ago had a more southerly track, we all would have been happily buried….Oh! well,  it is what it is PM…us long tooth peeps are used to it….🥴😉

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 1

Posted

MattStoke

It hasn’t stop all day here really Matt

In looking at the radar….its a wide spread spectrum for us all ☔☔☔☔☔

IMG_1417.thumb.jpeg.1189a9e47a06a6bc2350b171b1273839.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Been a lot of rain here today. 20mm+ at some measuring stations around Leicester. River levels are also high so I think flooding is going to be a problem again. Just a case of what might have been here today. If all of this had been snow, i'd be looking at the deepest snowfall i've ever seen in my lifetime here 😂

Oh well, not lost hope for late Feb or early March snowfall. Might not stick around for long but i'd like to see some settling snow before Winter is out.

• Like 3

Posted

andy_leics22

Yes Andy….we still believe 🤭🫶👊

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

MattStoke is that snow lol

Posted

markw2680

Nah! Matt probably visited he’s local ice rink and scrapped the ice and brought it home 🤣