Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands regional discussion - Winter 23/24

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.

Lovely day out there, feeling like spring. 16 degrees here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

17c here this afternoon! Crazy temps for mid Feb! Went to put the washing out in t shirt and shorts and didn't even feel cold 😂

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I don't care about mild/warm records as it happens far too often these days.

I would love to see something like the coldest end to February in *insert number here* years, or the codlest start to March.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.

Weather Enthusiast91 that can happen in mid winter, not in spring thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Was lovely up until lunchtime, but cloud has hit what could have been a genuinely warm afternoon. Now overcast and just slightly gloomy, though not in the "rain on the cards" way at least.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

CoventryWeather Plenty of time yet for spring warmth.

If we can have heat during early September, then why not cold during early March? 

• Like 1

Posted

Weather Enthusiast91 all the seasons are out of sync. We tend to do best for cold in March and April, wetter in the winter months and warm and dry in September and maybe October. I'd like a year that actually has seasons instead of late warmth or cold for a change. 

• Like 3

Posted

CoventryWeather Yes, I would like that also. Whilst I am happy for cold in early March (as well as warmth in early September), by the time we get to mid March I have completely lost interest.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Now drizzling here in N Worcs. The day has really gone downhill after such a good start.

Posted

Cut the lawn on Monday and it was just right for it. Dry though ground was sodden. Went for a run on Tuesday at 5.30pm and it was biblical cats and dogs after 5 mins but soldiered on for the next half hour. This afternoon, it's like an April plume has hit us (certainly if you're out running) and was fortunate I had a single layer. Not looking forward to the rain system coming towards us later on. Rugby and the surrounding area is already soaked and roads are becoming like lakes with the slightest precipitation.  Surprised the Avon has not surpass it's current record high.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!

Well who'd have thought it, it's tipping it down outside now! This really could have been a 'bad' May or June day - warm, humid and now raining. One thing that has really struck me is how the local green areas are all still so muddy and wet, nothing seems to have dried out this winter at all. I was away for a few days this month, but is it accurate that we haven't had many/ any frosts so far, either...? In February, of all months! 

I was talking to somebody at work yesterday, not the sharpest tool in the box, and even she was saying that the weather seems mad these days and was ascribing it to CC. Maybe the facts are beginning to speak for themselves...?

Anyway. Another bloomin' downpour. The theme of 'much warmer, much wetter' continues...awful.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, SollyOlly said:

I was away for a few days this month, but is it accurate that we haven't had many/ any frosts so far, either...? In February, of all months! 

Can't speak for everywhere, but that's been the case here. A couple of nights down to a degree or two, enough for ice to form on car windscreens, but I don't think any actually below zero.

I really am starting to get seriously worried about the sheer persistence of wet months. Sure, we've had bad floods in summer before, 2007 being the obvious example, but there just seems no respite. As you say, it just never seems to get properly dry, at best we have a couple of days like Sun/Mon just gone before the rain factory starts up again. Today was nice until midday, okay-ish for the next 2-3 hours, then gloomy and wet and miserable. Again.

If the modern "stuck in a rut" syndrome could maybe bring us half a dozen dry months in a row, that would be fantastic. Please, oh weather gods?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

A lovely day until the rain arrived by the evening rush hour. Quite a sudden change between the calm and sunshine and wetness, 2 photos below an hour apart, 14:00 - 15:00.

20240215_1403172.thumb.jpg.1f4f489e90c4f7995b0b9adf3d0948c0.jpg20240215_1454313.thumb.jpg.a4dc0c926e034aac4a18c4a767c87b9a.jpg

Almost touched 17°C, fourth mildest February day locally since records began.

Top 3 are:

18.1C in 1990

18.0C in 2012 (Coleshill has 18.7C)

17.9C in 2019 (surprised 2019 isn't in the lead like other stations in the Midlands but oh well)

In the last few years doesn't really seem to be an issue to get into the mid teens in the second half of February. Apart from 2020 Februaries from 2019-2024 have all reached 15°C or above!

Edited by Metwatch

Posted

I was amazed to see daffodils blooming while out this morning. Middle of February? They'll be gone before the equinox!

Get a grip daffs, this is Stoke, not the Scilly Isles.

• Like 1

Posted

davehsug There are daffs out (fully out, at that) on a small green area near me in Bewdley. Admittedly a very sheltered location, a sunny patch by a thick hedge, but even so it's not the norm for them to be out in mid-February.

Posted

Once we get to late winter (which I consider to be from the 10th of Feb onwards), I enter a transitional stage where I start looking forward to 15+ Celsius days, but at the same time don't want them to happen just yet. I would really like to experience a cold wintry spell before winter is over. At this stage, it isn't looking likely unfortunately. Though in terms of weather forecasting, it's still early days yet.

Posted

I'm with you to some extent. @Weather Enthusiast91. The only problem is that being a bit older (!), I really used to love the seasonal variations that we used to get. With the English (and I use the term advisedly) climate now really struggling to be four seasons, I find it difficult to get excited or enthusiastic about warmer temperatures. Don't get me wrong, I love the seasonal variation in light etc, but without a proper winter...what is Spring, or Summer? Just a variation on a theme. It makes me feel old, remembering a full range of weather conditions! Ah well. Time for another glass of something, and an early night!

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

Posted

SollyOlly I keep hearing people say that the older they get the more they go off the cold, so it makes a change to hear someone say the exact opposite. 😀

Whilst I like the heat (at the right time of the year), I think many of us would be happy with a summer of average temps and above average sunshine with the odd rainy day here and there.

• Like 2

Posted

Great post mate @Weather Enthusiast91, I've always been a bit different (!), but it's my health conditions that sadly have dictated events. To be fair, I was always a bit 'naturally warmer' than most folks, but I used to love the heat, it could never be hot enough. But then I developed some health conditions and anything now above about 25c makes things really difficult for me. I am aware of the irony, I get heat sensitive just when the climate changes! Ah well. These days I tend to fear the summer rather than welcome it. Anyway...if we got a cold winter, I could accept a hot summer. But it's all gone a bit Pete Tong these days!

I read an interesting article about the AMOC recently...so there's hope...albeit hotter summers, but at least colder winters...?!

• Like 2

Posted

SollyOlly Sorry to hear about your health conditions. I think some people don't realise that those who now hate the heat (or any weather type) have legitimate reasons such as health. Heat can have a huge impact on some peoples' health much in the way that cold can.

As for being a bit different, being like everybody else is overrated as far as I'm concerned. 😁

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, warm spring, hot summers

Weather Enthusiast91

My thoughts exactly! I like things ' in order '

So disappointed that we haven't had a good snow event or many frosts. Equally I look forward to spring but need the cold first ( not ready 'til then )

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Top man, @Weather Enthusiast91. Appreciate it! A rather less sympathetic poster last year said something like "if you don't like the heat, why don't you climb into a fridge and close the door behind you"...well, I might just do that! lol. Joking aside, I do wish those who love a hot summer all the best. Personally, I am trying to afford a decent air conditioning unit! 

Thanks again mate, always love your posts.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Don't get me wrong, I hate cold weather, I just don't think that daffs should be blooming this early in this area. The sooner May's here the better, I don't doubt for a second that we'll pay for the winter with an unseasonably cold spring, as has become the norm these last few years.

Posted

Ms Rock & Blues Yes, seasons should be seasonal. The UK has never been great at delivering seasonal weather, but even more so nowadays.

SollyOlly I'll let you in on a little secret since I enjoyed talking to you... I am a woman.

But I will let you off. 😀

• Like 2

Posted

Weather Enthusiast91 Oh no, I'm really sorry if I offended you!!! That was not my intention, ever! I do call some of my female friends "mate", but I will admit that I assumed that you were a bloke! Er, maybe I should stop digging...!! 😲

Listen, it doesn't matter to me, I enjoy your posts and your insights! 

Time for me to disappear for a bit...! 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1