Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

WYorksWeather it would be comical if it wasn't so absurd. It's pretty much been three months of supposedly fantastic synoptics failing to deliver bar one or two occasions. All those model outputs suggesting huge snow and cold events inevitably buckling under downgrades and turning out to be average spells of weather at best, separated by a large amount of mild and wet weather.

One can only hope that this trend of way above average will continue through spring and summer. The rain can do one though.

Posted

Touch and go for the fleeting heavy snow on Thursday here. It’s looking like it could be quite a mild February as well. It would be weird to have a heavy snow event in a mild month.

Posted

Looks like some of the fl charts are suggesting the first Spanish plume of the year! High isotherms that wouldn't be out of place in summer if I understand right. Could there really be a February/March heatwave on the books? That certainly would be a fittingly odd end to a winter of strange turns.

Edited by raz.org.rain
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
6 hours ago, raz.org.rain said:

seems like some out there would be happy to see a repeat of last spring as compensation for winter. Personally I can't think of anything worse, it just gives us the same weather we've got now that the coldies hate, except by late April it's too cold.

I am reading a lot of comments saying how awful last spring was, but to be honest, I can’t remember it being too bad. I can’t remember anything warm in March, and I remember actually having snow on a couple of days in March, but I remember April and May having some mild/warm sunny days.

6 hours ago, Brassmonkeylily said:

I have decided and it has taken me a long time to twig that these long term forecasting tools are crap !  

I have found the CFS (can’t forecast snow) model to be fairly reliable. Mainly because it nearly ALWAYS forecasts mild and Atlantic driven weather in winter! 😆

Posted

What has northern England done to upset the weather gods? Have a look at the rain radar. Another band of rain cutting the UK in half & straight over the top of us. You couldn't make it up. Some want to emigrate to better climes but this winter I could just move 100 miles north or south!

Posted

It looks very close to being yet another highly frustrating miss for EA/South for those that have yet to see a flake of snow so far this winter!!!!! Arghhhh!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Looks like those on the Mod or mad thread are still trying to induce Winter to start! I will give them ten out of ten for their persistence,  but most people now are throwing the towel in....getting sick of this boring winter now, just want some sunny skies and dry weather ,and Spring  to come fast. Had enough rain and wind to last a lifetime! 😢😢😢

gordon-ramsay-i-give-up.gif

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!!!

Somehow my location has gone from a few degrees above zero later in the week/weekend. To now not even under 10 degrees until Monday. This winter is driving me mad. 😅

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Definitely looking to be a very disappointing winter here on the east coast.   Plenty of chances for snow, even the occasional MO warning.  Only for it to disappear within 24 hours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

The ECM is just laughable this morning, we finally get the right Synoptics and an easterly flow. Yet there’s literally no cold whatsoever to tap into! Typical of our luck!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

NewEra21

But that's not the ECM's fault; neither models nor the Met. Office makes the weather. . .

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

This wind is horrid! Anyone else getting it or just me? I would not call this mild at all...

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

East Lancs Rain Last spring was a real slow burner, with the first 20C+ days only appearing in mid-May. That was the main issue. April was particularly lacklustre in terms of temperature - we had a higher maximum temperature in March than April for example. The highest temp in April here was only 16.6C, normally we'd see at least 1 day over 20C.

March was also quite wet.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

There comes a point in the year where wishing for snow just becomes a fruitless exercise, early March is usually that point for me. Anything at that time of year needs to be associated with deep cold to provide something substantial. There is nothing worse than a cold Spring. 

Edited by danm
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Snow has been on the ground/or in the air more times on my Bday than most other times of the year, that i can recall.

Edited by DIS1970

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Oh when will this dull winter end..? All of the 'proper cold' seems to only exist at day 10, and we end up with bog standard chilly weather at D0. 

Fingers crossed for a record breaking warm & sunny spring 😎🍦

Edited by Stabilo19
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Stabilo19 and a nice, hot Summer. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

danm

But the Madsters already have their measuring sticks out! 😁

Posted

SunnyG some model outputs are even suggesting a Spanish plume later in the month, that would certainly be an interesting way to end this winter.

Just overheard a poor chap who says he's just got back from living in Spain for 30 years. Our climate has warmed since then but I guess when compared to Spain it's still pathetic in comparison. For example, it's been raining all day here with a breeze, real midwinter nightmare weather.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

danm I'm going for a record hot and dry summer 🥲 Even if it doesn't materialise, I do think we'll see multiple heatwaves that'll challenge and likely break some records. It seems a safe bet when you consider how previous years have played out, even summer 2023 (inc. September) managed to break some records despite the god awful July and august.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Stabilo19 January sunny many areas!