Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
5 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

suppose the question is, which is better?

A July with 20 days of 19-20C max, 5 days of 22-25C max and 6 days of 28-32C max (perhaps the typical contemporary July or August), or:

A July with just 5 days of 19-20C max, 20 days of 22-25C max, and 6 days of 26-28C max, with 30 not achieved at all?

The latter is probably preferable, however, the main distinction remains - sunshine hours! 20c in July with a clear sky is very, very different to 20c in July with 100% cloud cover and a mizzle in the air. This is why the whole CET debate re our summer months are a bit of a moot point imo. 

Warmth in of itself does not a summer make, for me. Warmth *plus* sun - yes. And when I say warmth I do not mean 30c. I enjoy 30c, sure, but I don't need it. Especially if that 30c is cloudy...that's just Bangkok in monsoon season lol. 

I'm happy with anything above 20c honestly. It was 21-23c last year in June when I was in Cornwall for 10 days and it felt significantly warmer given the humidity and strength of the UV and I got more sunburnt that I imagined I would on the first day, considering I tan very well generally. 

My "which is better" question for summer would be more along the lines of:

A) June, July and August with only around average max temps but above average sunshine and below average rainfall.

B) June, July and August with above average max temps but below average sunshine and above average rainfall.

Option A is definitely preferable imo. I honestly couldn't care less of we don't get "35c el scorchio" 2 / 3 times in a summer season, as long as we get prolonged spells of sunny skies and dry weather. 

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

I just wish sunshine amounts were a bit fairer, it’s not rain amounts this country has an issue with, well not southern and eastern areas, it’s the amount of cloudy days, I really hope this coming spring and summer balance things out….So ready for clear blue skies and warmth for weeks on end rather than grey dullness. 
I dread if we have another late ssw event that delays spring like last year, can’t believe some people want that again.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

TwisterGirl81 the SSW wildcard probably isn't the saviour of winter that some people think it is. There's no real guarantee as to how it'll impact our climate if at all, or how long such sustained impacts will last. As others have pointed out, it's not an absolute guarantee of a particular weather synoptic, but rather a piece in the puzzle that may or may not be favourable to colder or even warmer conditions here.

Posted

raz.org.rain  agreed, I know many of us are just desperate for spring, sun and warmth now…it’s this time of year we have had enough of winter weather and I can feel SAD kick in, last spring was just torture ie it wasn’t until mid May that it came, hopefully this year we don’t have as long to wait for proper warmth 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

TwisterGirl81 Definitely, the cloudiness is the real kicker.

Regarding the rain, it's moreso about how the rain is distributed. As is often stated on here, Rome has higher average rainfall annually than London, but that doesn't inherently equate to Rome's climate being "wetter" (louder for those at the back!) Because if most of your rainfall mm is accumulated in specific periods of the year through heavy bursts and the rest of the year is sunny and dry, well, it's not really a "wet" climate. Look at the Carribbean as prime examples too. Most of Britain on the other hand doesn't have particularly impressive rainfall statistics-wise, but our rainfall is spread out on a near consistent basis throughout the year, wherein, we will get days on end of drizzle that do next to nothing in terms of actually increasing our rainfall mm, but are nevertheless "wet" conditions to be put and about in, and manifests an overall "wet" climate from an experiential perspective. 

10 hours of drizzle vs 1 hour of heavy rain then 9 hours of sun. Statistics wise these could be exactly the same...but what's actually enjoyable to live in?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

kold weather actually 2.0c puts this El Nino in the very strong category ...moderate is below 1.5c...it has been above 1.5c since August ..so its always been a basin wide strong event which doesn't favour cold conditions across the NA or Western Europe ..which is exactly what has happened...discounting El Nino as a factor was fool hardy  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, mild/warm summers and varied shoulder seasons

I’ve had enough of rain and drizzle! Just go take a hike! Can’t do anything in it and it’s just a damper on everything unless you are a duck or moss. 

• Like 4

Posted

Is it just me who is finding the temps not actually reflective of the mildness? As in, today it's 14c in my area but it's still feeling genuinely chilly, a real cold wind and I'm layered up nearly as much as I was when it was the January cold spell. If anything, that weather was more pleasant to sit outside in. 

Perhaps it placebo. But who knows.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
6 hours ago, danm said:

Some Spring-like weather coming for this area tomorrow though - 16c with sunny spells. 

Why is it that only London seems to get exceptionally mild, dry and sunny/partly sunny days in Winter? Where I am, very mild weather in winter is nearly always accompanied by thick cloud and rain.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

because you're in the north west! London/SE nearly always get better weather on average off a high to SE, low to NW setup

Posted

In Absence of True Seasons  I agree, it was wall to wall sunshine all day here the other day and no more than 12c but felt very pleasant as the wind was light too. I’d be more than happy if we have a good percentage of days like that in winter but we often don’t, if it’s dry and mild it’s cloudy argh 

Can someone just lie to me and tell this spring and summer will be overall sunnier than average I think I’d be so happy 😋

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Not too bad of a day today, at least compared to the washout yesterday.

Stayed dry, much brighter with the sun popping out on a few occasions, and nearly 15C. Wind didn't feel cold anymore, not at those sort of temperatures when the dewpoint is like 12C. Still, 1.5C from this day in 1998, that month was a blowtorch.

More rain tomorrow but it looks to arrive by dark which isn't as bad, then weekend looks okay, with most of the rain during Saturday night rather than during the middle of the day.

Yes more sunshine would be lovely, but we need to remember our latitude / position, and having a huge mass of water to our west / south west, it won't be sunny Spain! Only solution would be to migrate south if you're able to and want more warmth with sunshine through the year!

Looks like the last 5-7 days of this month might end chillier, which will likely stop this February from becoming the mildest on record, but any snow would be confined to Scotland or other hills in the northwest. Maybe more sunshine with it.

Edited by Metwatch

Posted

TwisterGirl81 Im hoping the winds during the cold spell are Northerly, NOT Easterly. If its an Easterly then it will just bring nothing but cloud but Northerlies are often sunny

Edited by baddie

Posted

Metwatch As has been the trend this winter though, I note that the GFS ensemble is converging more towards the ECM solution, with less of a cold spell now showing. And we may have a bit of a buffer.

If this month fails to set a new February record, I can't imagine it will be by very much now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

East Lancs Rain probably because at this time of year the only way to get exceptionally mild weather is from a low pressure system dragging up that air. The SE will sometimes be far enough away from the core of low pressure allowing some sunny spells. Whereas in Spring/Summer the exceptionally mild air can simply come from an area of high pressure sitting over us - at this time of year that will just bring cold, sometimes sunny, sometimes frosty, foggy weather. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

The forecasted colder spell at the end of the month is already being downgraded, looking more likely it'll turn out to be a spell of average weather at best.

• Like 2

Posted

Having avoided netweather for 5 days thought I’d check the situation. Nothing really seems to have changed . Still way above average with a February closer to an average April . Sadly I think the interest in the weather forums will die off . Let’s face it really only picks up in winter when snow is a possibility. What’s the point in looking at a load of mild rubbish for 3 months in winter . Think global warming has killed off a once exciting chase . Even the met office are out of date with the accelerating global warming occuring . Why they forecast a cold second half of February is frankly beyond credibility. I for one could see it was cobblers . A bit like the 10 day charts are always showing promise . Anyway at least it should be a warm summer 👍

Edited by snowspotter
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy