Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
2 hours ago, WYorksWeather said:

It's also the earliest in the year I think I've seen a feels like temperature higher than the actual

Where do you see that? Met Office has a 19C high in London but feel like temperature of 15C. The gusty breeze will make it feel cooler, I can’t see it feeling warmer. 

IMG_2941.thumb.jpeg.1f3ddb5b3a2600dac428a0b652764b82.jpeg

Posted

TwisterGirl81 same here, 1976/1990 still hold the local records. The warmest spells recently have been the two slightly longer August heatwaves of 2020/22 which had a much calmer overall conditions with statement conditions not the extreme plumes which had a much more southerly component promoting sea breezes etc. 

• Insightful 1

Posted

Saturday doesn’t look great here, stronger southerly and any sunshine disappearing early in the morning, wouldn’t be surprised to see normal drizzly conditions returning by early afternoon. 

• Like 1

Posted

Daniel* BBC weather app for Norwich is showing a feels-like higher than actual:

image.thumb.png.5fc4c15e70ad6fa5ff4e275cb528a4ef.png

Again, obviously the app forecast is to be taken with a pinch of salt, just not something I normally see at this time of year!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

MP-R Same here. It’s just been a relentless run of cloud, wind and rain. To be expected in every winter to a degree, but that’s basically all we’ve had for months on end. Awful.

Some stunning weather on the way for central Europe though, 5 days between 20-27°C with sunny spells are forecast. That’ll banish the SAD in no time 😊

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

stainesbloke when is that landing? I've got a few days I need to take annual leave (expires end of April) so might take a trip somewhere! 😁

Thinking maybe Romania, or Slovakia.

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and Snowy Days

Took me a while to get over the 1 blue sky sunny day we had down here last week! Sadly it's full Kate Bush down here now, Cloudbusting! That also seems to be the form horse for the next week. My transition to Charlie Brown should be complete by the end of next week should this turgid weather continues.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

In Absence of True Seasons Am looking forward to this, I get home on Sunday night so will get 2 nice days, at least.
Here in west London, it started sunny but it’s already clouded over 🥱 

IMG_1090.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted

Apparently if we don't have rain, we are contractually obliged to have wind. What a country.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

stainesbloke Wow, Sunday looking seriously warm, and sunny too! 

Yes, it's very common here now for the pattern...a bit of sun early morning, then overcast, then a bit more sun in the evening. Tiresome pattern because it's precisely the times when the sun is the least useful lol

• Like 3

Posted

TwisterGirl81 30c+, and especially 35c+ days are still not common in the SE really IMO. It very much depends on the year, also. There's no consistent amount of such days that arrive in my area of Essex in a given summer tbh. But overall, they're the "outlier" conditions in summer. 

In the last 6 / 7 years alone, it's varied quite a lot. In years like 2018 and 2022, much of London and the SE will see several 30c+ days each summer month. Then years like 2021 and 2023 will see only a sprinkling of such days throughout the entire summer season. July and August 2023 didn't even record a single 30c day. 2019 was also overall poor for number of very warm / hot days, despite having the one big plume that brought the then-time record temp of 39.4c or whatever it was. 

The main difference IMO between London/SE and places like Devon, Cornwall etc is the disparity in baseline temps from May to Sept. Baseline temps are often notably warmer, so a "standard" summer day in Devon might be 17-20c, whereas a "standard" summer day in London is 20-23c. 

That all being said, I really don't think you *need* such high temps during summer, especially in the UK with our maritime humidity. I was in Cornwall last June during the warm sunny spell and it was around 22-24c every day, which was plenty hot enough given there was zero cloud and basically no wind, alongside the strength of the sun in mid-June.

• Like 2

Posted

Dark cloud and raining. Not quite sure how this is the "partly sunny" conditions predicted for today but heyho

PXL_20240404_095022013.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

TwisterGirl81 You are right, temps pushing 20c even up North used to be quite common in April.

But with that 'global warming - climate change' (insert the latest on trend thing to blame here) we're lucky if it reaches, but more importantly feels like 10c!

Edited by marky810
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn
44 minutes ago, marky810 said:

You are right, temps pushing 20c even up North used to be quite common in April.

It still is, almost every April is reaching 20°C or higher. Even last April which was extraordinarily autumnal reached 20°C for a day or two. We've had three Aprils in this century that beat the historical warmest on record.

44 minutes ago, marky810 said:

But with that 'global warming - climate change' (insert the latest on trend thing to blame here) we're lucky if it reaches, but more importantly feels like 10c!

Rubbish, April has warmed by over a degree since 1961-1990.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

In Absence of True Seasons I’d say a standard day in the south west is actually 19c-22c depending on where you are, usually in Exeter for example we are warmer than say Plymouth or coastal areas….I generally thought for the south east it would be 22c-25c

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

In Absence of True Seasons Summer 2019 saw 8 days above 30c, 7 of which were above 32c.

1 in June, 3 in July and 4 in August, along with predominantly temps in the mid 20s.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

In Absence of True Seasons I would say 30c+ and 35c+ days are starting to become more and more common. Ofcourse, there are years where they are less so, but that's to be expected when you consider that 30c is 6 degrees above our peak Summer average maximum, and 35c is 11c higher than average. So you'd actually expect them to be rare, but they are becoming more common. 

Even in what all of us consider to be a poor Summer period in 2023, we still achieved 30c+ 9 times in London, when including September. In the dreadful Summer of 2021, we still exceeded 30c six times, 4 times in July and twice in September. 

Take the incredible Summers of 2018 and 2022, and this is how it shakes out:

30c+ days: 17

35c+ days: 1 (which is a surprise, but 2018 was more of a consistently hot Summer, rather than one that had exceptional heat spikes).

30c+ days: 11

35c+ days: 2

40c+ days: 1

You then add in other recent Summers that people always look back on as being mixed:

30c+ days: 10

35c+ days: 5

30c+ days: 8

35c+ days: 1

• Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 minute ago, danm said:

Even in what all of us consider to be a poor Summer period in 2023,

The use of the word "all" in that sentence is certainly incorrect

Posted

TwisterGirl81 Yes in the SE it is now more likely to be 22c to 25c as standard. Over the last 10 years, our peak average July maxima has shifted to 25c, from just below 24c in the 1990-2020 period. 

markyo Ok, all except markyo...😉

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn

I wouldn't say it's uncommon to see 30°C in the South; not the average temperature, but it can be expected in standard heatwaves these days.

TwisterGirl81 I wouldn't really say there's much difference at all in terms of what an "average" summer day looks like between the SE and SW. The difference is in the humidity and the extremes. 23°C and partly sunny would be a very average and nondescript summer day at both ends of the country really.

25°C might not be much higher than average but it's still what you'd consider to be warm day in the SE.

• Like 1

Posted

Decent sunny spells now after a cloudy, showery morning.

IMG_2224.thumb.jpeg.206c59dda9e785015feae76ec1632f35.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted

Boooooring! At least it’s not raining….oh, wait

IMG_1097.jpeg

• Like 3